View Poll Results: Your HD Choice (You can select more than one)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun

24 60.00%
  • Rifle

11 27.50%
  • Pistol

32 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Home Defense

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    Inmy01ta- the 357 has been around since the 50's. 38's aren't obsolete.

And someone mentioned purse carry. NEGATIVE.

If you are going to carry, carry on your person. You won't always have your purse.
    Good points, I have seen a chick pull a 38 out of her purse before tho...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I feel a revolver is a lil "safer" as there's no guessing whether it's loaded and the trigger will be VERY heavy if the hammer is not cocked. The 1st step in determining which gun is choosing the caliber you want. For revolver you'd most likely want a 357/38, Ruger GP100 is a good start. For a pistol I'd go no smaller than 9mm. 45 is great but ammo is more $ and more scarce. Ask to see a Springfield Armory XD9mm, a Glock 17, Glock 19, or a Smith and Wesson M&P9. 9mm was my 1st gun. Doesn't hurt to read a good firearm forum either. The high road is excellent. http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php
    I've been told that as well. Thanks for the link.

If you are going to carry, carry on your person. You won't always have your purse.
    Good point.

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

with all the shit women stuff in their purses, I'm sure the gun would be at the bottom of the bag. Always better to be on person.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Kahana, doesn't Cali have a magazine capacity limit? Like 10 rounds or something? If it's 10 rounds, this would negate one of the big benefits of a semi auto over a revolver. I'd have a hard time shelling the money for a Springfield XDm 9mm and only getting 10 instead of 19.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Kahana, doesn't Cali have a magazine capacity limit? Like 10 rounds or something? If it's 10 rounds, this would negate one of the big benefits of a semi auto over a revolver. I'd have a hard time shelling the money for a Springfield XDm 9mm and only getting 10 instead of 19.
    XD compact is an awesome gun...the full size is too big for me, and it holds 10 45 rounds standard.

plus, like many have said....if after 10 rounds of .45 goin off at close range, you still haven't hit your target AND the sound didnt scare them off....I don't think its gonna matter anyway

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I don't know. I know they're trying to pass new laws all the time and that now to buy ammo, you have to be finger printed and can only buy so much.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    XD compact is an awesome gun...the full size is too big for me, and it holds 10 45 rounds standard.

plus, like many have said....if after 10 rounds of .45 goin off at close range, you still haven't hit your target AND the sound didnt scare them off....I don't think its gonna matter anyway

After 10??? Hell after 1

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I don't know. I know they're trying to pass new laws all the time and that now to buy ammo, you have to be finger printed and can only buy so much.
    You'd think they'd have parchment splinters in their asses, they use the Constitution for toilet paper so much now.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

KR,
    I have the S&W 38 Airweight hammerless. I suggest taking one for test run at the firing range. They are not smooth by any means. They are light and they do kick in your hand. It may be a feeling you might not like. They are loud too but that's a good thing in order to scare your attacker off. It's small enough to hold close to your body between you and the attacker in case of a close attack and always ready to fire at the pull of the trigger. With revolvers, you don't have to pull the slide back to chamber a shell first. Ammo for the 38 is either +p or not. If it's a 38+p then you can fire +parabellum and regular 38 ammo. If your 38 is not a +p then don't load 38 +p ammo in it. Be sure to ask your gun dealer about it.
    Look into a S&W snub nose 357 to take for test run also.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    You'd think they'd have parchment splinters in their asses, they use the Constitution for toilet paper so much now.
    Sad isn't it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    KR,
    I have the S&W 38 Airweight hammerless. I suggest taking one for test run at the firing range. They are not smooth by any means. They are light and they do kick in your hand. It may be a feeling you might not like. They are loud too but that's a good thing in order to scare your attacker off. It's small enough to hold close to your body between you and the attacker in case of a close attack and always ready to fire at the pull of the trigger. With revolvers, you don't have to pull the slide back to chamber a shell first. Ammo for the 38 is either +p or not. If it's a 38+p then you can fire +parabellum and regular 38 ammo. If your 38 is not a +p then don't load 38 +p ammo in it. Be sure to ask your gun dealer about it.
    I'll do that. I've got plenty to learn.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    KR,
    I bought one of those S&W hammerless snub nose .357s for a girlfriend a few years back. We had it modified with a 5 lb trigger pull right out of the box.

Man, could I hit with that gun (firing .38s at the indoor range). I miss it.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Sad isn't it...

I'll do that. I've got plenty to learn.
    Ed gave you great advice when he mentioned the importance of practice.

You'll drive yourself silly-crazy trying to cull the list of capable handguns down to one. I myself tend to prefer automatics over revolvers, but that is not to say I dislike them. It's just a preference and mostly based on a duty-carry situation where additional ammunition and quick reloads are important factors. In your original post you mentioned getting a revolver, so I'd like to just stay specific to that with my suggestions. Here goes!

Buy a double action .357 with a 4" barrel. In order of preference my choices would be; S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, Dan Wesson. There are other models out there, but those are some I recommend (although Dan Wesson might be a stretch for home defense only). Like I mentioned before, any .357 can fire 38 Special ammunition. This makes it more versatile. The down side will be a little heavier weapon (although that differes amongst makes). For instance, S&W FORGES their frames while Ruger uses INVESTMENT CASTING. Both are strong, but the S&W will usually have less metal and therefore less weight. In a .357, S&W will have three main frame sizes to consider "K" ("standard"), "L" (slightly larger), and "N" (largest). There are some highly specific models (including titanium) that you could buy, but they are very expensive and not really worth the cost for a home defense gun. For a woman's gun, I'd rule out the "N" frame. I have a Model 27 and I don't think most women would prefer the size of that gun. While you can get custom grips for a smaller hand, the frame is still somewhat massive. That leaves the K and L frames. The big advantage of the L frame (a model 686) is added durability and a heavier muzzle due to the full length barrel lug (the metal that is under the barrel). This helps to reduce muzzle rise with full power loads, making follow-up shots a bit faster. Still, it adds weight. Now we are down to the K frame. A model 66 was the law enforcement iconic handgun. A man names Bill Jordan had a lot to do with that model becoming very popular. Google him sometime for an interesting read. My very first duty gun was a model 66, and it was a shooter. Very few female officers were on my department, but I only remember one having issues with the weapon because of its size (and she was a complainer anyway).

A "double-action" means that the weapon can be fired with a long, heavier trigger pull that manipulates the action to "cock" the hammer through the pull and release it at the end, AND the weapon can be manually "cocked" by pulling the hammer back into firing position manually (with the thumb) which greatly lightens and shortens the trigger pull. Single action firing is more useful in situations where the best accuracy is needed. It has the drawback of a much more sensitive trigger release which can be a problem in a tense situation, increasing the chances of an unintentional discharge of the weapon. Double action firing is more deliberate. In most self-defense situations, double-action is the way to go. A double-action design gives YOU the choice. A single-action design (Ruger Blackhawk revolver, Colt 1911 semi-auto are examples) requires that the weapon be cocked manually before the first shot can be fired (and every following shot in the revolver design, but not the semi-auto). There are some double-action ONLY (DAO) weapons out there too, and these will have shrouded or "hammerless" designs where the shooter has no physical means to "cock" the gun. I carried a S&W 4046 that was DAO. It was okay, but designs like the M&P, Glock, and some others have a superior trigger pull and accomplish the same thing with much less weight. I bought that gun when it was "retired" and it is a boat anchor compared to my subsequent Glock 23 and S&W M&P.

One last thing about S&W. The number "6" is an important indicator for most of their models. In MOST cases, it indicates the model is made of stainless steel (example: model 66 is a stainless K frame .357, while a model 19 is a carbon steel K frame .357. Both are exactly the same gun except for the metal that makes up the frame, barrel, trigger, and hammer). Just FYI.

Most self-defense situations are over within three rounds being fired. In MOST cases, a six-shooter is more than enough. Firing inside your own home, you will likely fire as least amount of rounds as is needed. A speedloader or two can be available, if needed. That reminds me of one downside to consider with a revolver. While a semi-auto can be rendered "safe" by means of a lever, empty chamber, no magazine inserted, etc., a revolver that is loaded is ready to go boom with just a trigger pull. This can be a concern with unauthorized handlers (kids, curious adults). If you have a loaded revolver readily available, it is only one trigger pull away from firing. The simplicity of that design is both an attribute AND a liability. Something to consider as well.

I suggest you seek out local gun ranges to see if they "rent" guns for use. That can be a quick way to find out what you prefer. Another possibility is firing the weapons of friends that you think might be the ticket. In any event, when you finally choose a handgun, make sure you practice, practice, practice! You will perform the way you train. Don't be shy about seeking out adivce from those who know what they are talking about (and be wary of those who talk a lot but don't instill confidence). Do NOT skimp on practice.

I'll go out on a limb and give you a specific suggestion for a gun to purchase:

S&W Model 66, 4", and buy aftermarket grips that feel comfortable to you. Load it with Winchester .38 Special 158 gr. SWHP +P ammuniton for home-defense and buy 158 grain loads for practice. You will have a good, reliable weapon with good stopping power that will be easy to learn, fire, and maintain.
    Last edited by jad628; 01-07-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wow... Thank you for that! That is very helpful information and advice. I printed it out.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

the wife has a ruger sp 101 .357mag next to her i have a 9mm ar-15 carbine with two 32 rnd clips.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

My main in home defense weapon.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Wow... Thank you for that! That is very helpful information and advice. I printed it out.
    You're very welcome. It's an important decision.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    My main in home defense weapon.
    Click for full size
    Looks pretty cool. What is it?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Looks like the Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder. (same pic and all ) http://www.mossberg.com/images/produ...ISER/55605.jpg

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Kinda looks like a Winchester 1300 defender with mods.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    yes it is a mossberg 12 gauge pump with 6 shots. pistol grip with a heat sheid and a muzzle breaker/stablelizer. It has minimal kick and requires minimal aiming, if you know what I mean.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information