Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by camaroz98 View Post
    agreed and its high 11s for now still learing how to tune hoping i dont fuck anything more up
    I don't liek DSMS as i have owned 3, fastest was a mid 12 car. They can be fast and for somewhat cheap but they have many problems. In there defense the fastest AWD car in the world was a talon until a couple months ago. 7.7 at 198mph in the 1/4mile is pretty damn fast for a stock chassis car.

blue
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I don't liek DSMS as i have owned 3, fastest was a mid 12 car. They can be fast and for somewhat cheap but they have many problems. In there defense the fastest AWD car in the world was a talon until a couple months ago. 7.7 at 198mph in the 1/4mile is pretty damn fast for a stock chassis car.
    ive had 3 first gens no problems love em but i also rebuilt them as soon as i got them

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    The first video shows a low 11s DSM beating a stock C6 ZO6. The second video shows a Lingenfelter Corvette beating a bolt ons 13s DSM. I'm just showing you both sides of the equation.

As far as being a piece of crap, that's your preference. There are many that think American cars are pieces of crap. Just go overseas. The build quality is far behind European standards. Regardless, it depends on what you like and what you grew up with.
    This is very true!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by camaroz98 View Post
    the dsm isnt shit its american and the 4g63 block is bullet proof theres guys boosting 45psi into that block no prob i boost 30 with internals bored 30 over and a stock head
    1. DSM's are the biggest piles of shit. Reliability is not a word in the vocabulary of any DSM owner.

2. DSM's are not American. It is a Mitsubishi, which is Japanese. The Eagle badges are just that, badges. They don't mean anything.

3. The 4G63 isn't "bulletproof". Plenty of Evo owners blow motors every day bone stock. Just check out the MY Blown engines thread on Evom.net. Its nothing more than an old school cast iron 4 cylinder.

4. 45PSI?? Theres a reason why it says "impounded" below your name. Now I see why.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    Second video showed the Talon or whatever it was getting butt raped.

1st video the Vette didn't launch very good. For the car that beat it to run the way it did, either it was a high 9's car, the Z06 driver wasn't very good or the Z06 driver didn't try.

I'm not saying there aren't Talons and Eclipses that won't beat a Z06 or a Vette for that matter, but let's face it, you spend 20,000 or 30,000 making a piece of crap fast and all you have is a fast expensive piece of crap.
    +1

There is no point in trying to make an ugly ass, unreliable, cheap pile of garbage like a DSM go fast.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    +1

There is no point in trying to make an ugly ass, unreliable, cheap pile of garbage like a DSM go fast.
    DSM

Donkey
    Shit
    Motors

+1

That is your opinion. What's the point in making any car fast if its primary purpose is transportation?

I would say the point would be to prove that a 4 cylinder can go fast. Some people don't like the easy way out and find it more of a challenge to get a "pile", as you so put it, go down the track with a respectable time. With a large displacement engine, it is expected to go fast. With a 4 cylinder, it's not. It can be done, and there are some very fast AWD cars out there, as you probably know.

Just ask John Shepherd in his stock chassis Talon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSptlw-L_U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSptlw-L_U[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJj-YaMdsk&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJj-YaMdsk&feature=fvw[/ame]

black
    2002 firebird trans am

mitsubishi partnered with chrysler, so they have some parts that are american, i think haha, but yeah unreliable

1. DSM's are the biggest piles of shit. Reliability is not a word in the vocabulary of any DSM owner.

2. DSM's are not American. It is a Mitsubishi, which is Japanese. The Eagle badges are just that, badges. They don't mean anything.

3. The 4G63 isn't "bulletproof". Plenty of Evo owners blow motors every day bone stock. Just check out the MY Blown engines thread on Evom.net. Its nothing more than an old school cast iron 4 cylinder.

4. 45PSI?? Theres a reason why it says "impounded" below your name. Now I see why.
    1. That is you opinion, however older DSMs are known for their reliability issues.

2. True. Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, Mitsubishi Eclipse.

3. Most of these guys turn the boost up to 24+psi on the stock turbo and think it will last on the stock tune. It's not that the 4G63 is weak, it's that there are a lot of idiots driving them that don't tune or support their car for the setup they have. This leads to a lean air fuel mix and detonation which will blow up any motor.

4. John Shepherd was running 54psi of boost on his 2004 setup. There are plenty of guys running high boost. However, depending on the turbo setup, that much boost is usually not needed for the cars setup. There are guys they go 8s on 30something psi, with the right turbo setup.
    Last edited by Superluminal; 12-21-2009 at 06:50 PM.

gray
    1999 Corvette

one of the fastest AWD vehicles that I have seen is my brothers 2002 Denali Truck. I have raced him many times and its always a close race. He has raced many AWD vehicles like VR4, Sti,and Talons and he always takes them at take off.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Limon View Post
    one of the fastest AWD vehicles that I have seen is my brothers 2002 Denali Truck. I have raced him many times and its always a close race. He has raced many AWD vehicles like VR4, Sti,and Talons and he always takes them at take off.
    lol he must have alot of mods on that denali.

Talon awd
    1971 cuda/2000 Z28 6spd

Hey wesman I remember you from the J body forums,do you still have that sweet 2.2 auto cavalier.

Talon awd
    1971 cuda/2000 Z28 6spd

Unlike some I'm into all cars domestic and import as long as they are fast.Whether it's a dsm,supra or an ls1 and a fox body.In high school I had a CB 750 with a 890 kit and kenny harmon cam,a few yrs after that a 69 super bee.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by +stroker ace View Post
    Unlike some I'm into all cars domestic and import as long as they are fast.Whether it's a dsm,supra or an ls1 and a fox body.In high school I had a CB 750 with a 890 kit and kenny harmon cam,a few yrs after that a 69 super bee.
    Alot of us are like that. I had a somewhat high hp import and a handful of decently quick ones aswell as some pretty fast domestic cars. Its just ignorance that stops being from seeing the good in certain cars.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Alot of us are like that. I had a somewhat high hp import and a handful of decently quick ones aswell as some pretty fast domestic cars. Its just ignorance that stops being from seeing the good in certain cars.
    The only imports I have owned were a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo and an 87 Supra Turbo... A probe GT also which I think was made by mazda. The supra I was able to get it into the low 13's pretty cheap. The starion was Slow, but it was a pretty cool little car. The probe lasted to 250K without any major issues and was a good car while I was poor and new to the Army. Now I just prefer domestics. I don't hate on imports, but I can't stand the ricers with just an intake and exhaust that think they are unbeatable. There are some fast imports out there; you can make anything fast with $$ and time. Its all up to your personal preference, yet every domestic import thread on here turns into a gigantic argument.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    The only imports I have owned were a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo and an 87 Supra Turbo... A probe GT also which I think was made by mazda. The supra I was able to get it into the low 13's pretty cheap. The starion was Slow, but it was a pretty cool little car. The probe lasted to 250K without any major issues and was a good car while I was poor and new to the Army. Now I just prefer domestics. I don't hate on imports, but I can't stand the ricers with just an intake and exhaust that think they are unbeatable. There are some fast imports out there; you can make anything fast with $$ and time. Its all up to your personal preference, yet every domestic import thread on here turns into a gigantic argument.
    Yep

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I remember that car now. I test drove one over night, and it blew up. I had to call the dealership and tell them to come tow their car.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Click for full size
    I like this one:

For your information, this was only a problem with the 7 bolt 2G 4G63s. There was nothing mechanically wrong with the engine itself, but the thrust bearing used was not seated correctly which cause excessive strain on the engine, leading to internal failure.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I like this one:

Click for full size

For your information, this was only a problem with the 7 bolt 2G 4G63s. There was nothing mechanically wrong with the engine itself, but the thrust bearing used was not seated correctly which cause excessive strain on the engine, leading to internal failure.
    I'd consider improperly seated thrust bearings causing crank walk and engine failure something "mechanically wrong" with the engine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information