Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, my well-optioned 99 T/A M6 was right around 3500 lbs w/o me and very little fuel.
    Yep, that's typically what they all will come in at give or take a few lbs.

So many have been screwed around with now it's hard to nail down an original weight. And people guess from door stickers rather than actually hitting a real world certified scale.
    They aren't light cars by any means. The new 5th gen is only a bit heavier.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    How about a 2400lb. car with a 400whp LS1. Is that enough diet for you? Mind you the chassis isn't GM....
    thatll do!
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    ... They aren't light cars by any means. The new 5th gen is only a bit heavier.
    Guess that depends on what your definition of "a bit" is. There is about a 400 lb difference - that's "quite a bit" in my eyes.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Guess that depends on what your definition of "a bit" is. There is about a 400 lb difference - that's "quite a bit" in my eyes.
    Not if your riding in your 4th gen with your fat friend, then its about the same.

Well,,,how heavy is the 5th gen. I keep seeing reports of 3800 lbs. I don't know how accurate that is,,,but it's not a far fetch from a 4th gen.

My 02 SS is 3,620 lbs. That's only 180 lbs. difference,,,,comparing stock to stock of course.

Once you start wrenching on a 4th gen all bets are off, because the comparison would be pointless.

I'd like to see an unmollested 5th gen on a certified scale to be honest. All this chit chat about what people think it "might" weigh doesn't help me any.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Not if your riding in your 4th gen with your fat friend, then its about the same.
    Ya I've said that before too. It's about the difference of a fat chick Not enough to worry about.

White
    2002 Z28

Yep, that's typically what they all will come in at give or take a few lbs.

So many have been screwed around with now it's hard to nail down an original weight. And people guess from door stickers rather than actually hitting a real world certified scale.
    They aren't light cars by any means. The new 5th gen is only a bit heavier.
    Again I disagree. I've owned 3 Z28's and they were all within 20 or so pounds of 3400. All weighed at various racetracks multiple times. All had the jacks and spares in them. All had the rear floor mats removed but had front floor mats, owners manuals, my helmet, air compressor and window cleaner in them. Most had the clothes that I changed out of for work.

Stock with 3 different cars, a 2001 and (2) 2002's weighed 3400 or about that. With aftermarket exhaust, a lid and no other mods they all are right at 3400 to high 3300's.

Also check out this website. They list the 2002 Z28 at just over 3400 lbs.

http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Histor...Camaro2002.htm

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Well,,,how heavy is the 5th gen. I keep seeing reports of 3800 lbs. I don't know how accurate that is,,,but it's not a far fetch from a 4th gen....
    A base SS M6 is 3860 lbs. A6 is 3913 lbs.

Source: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...le=CAMARO+WIKI

I have seen reports of fully-optioned M6 cars weighing ~4000 lbs, and no-option cars weighing 3840. Compare those to a loaded 4th gen and a "stripper" 4th gen.

Source: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28611

But again....it comes down to individual preference. 180-500 lbs may mean little to nothing to some, and thats fine. For me, it means a great deal.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post

Thats a cookie cutter number. Actual options etc will vary greatly and affect weight. M6/Auto, Leather/cloth, etc all change the numbers. Not to call the validity of your statement into question but I'd have to ask to see the last time the scales were certified if you weighed a car with an air compressor, etc and came up with a low 3400 weight. Thats under 3400 which is what the stripper cars weigh in as and they are undeniably lighter.

Again I disagree. I've owned 3 Z28's and they were all within 20 or so pounds of 3400. All weighed at various racetracks multiple times. All had the jacks and spares in them. All had the rear floor mats removed but had front floor mats, owners manuals, my helmet, air compressor and window cleaner in them. Most had the clothes that I changed out of for work.

Stock with 3 different cars, a 2001 and (2) 2002's weighed 3400 or about that. With aftermarket exhaust, a lid and no other mods they all are right at 3400 to high 3300's.

Sorry man, I just don't believe it. Unless you are talking about the stripped down version with roll up windows, cloth, no cruise, etc....

I've had 3 4th gens myself, and currently own 2 SS's. None of them were/are even close to 3400. I had an 88 Iroc 350 TPI solid roof with very little options and it still tipped the scales at 3440 lbs. Those cars are only half of a 4th gen, no air bags, no abs brakes,,and much smaller in size. The only way a 4th gen could be lighter than that would be either a stripped down model,,,or a scale that is off.

Don't care what a website says a car weighs. Only a certified scale tells the real tale.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Sorry man, I just don't believe it. Unless you are talking about the stripped down version with roll up windows, cloth, no cruise, etc....

I've had 3 4th gens myself, and currently own 2 SS's. None of them were/are even close to 3400. I had an 88 Iroc 350 TPI solid roof with very little options and it still tipped the scales at 3440 lbs. Those cars are only half of a 4th gen, no air bags, no abs brakes,,and much smaller in size. The only way a 4th gen could be lighter than that would be either a stripped down model,,,or a scale that is off.

Don't care what a website says a car weighs. Only a certified scale tells the real tale.
    ive takin my spare out and my jack and rear floormats and other things and i have really light iforged wheels and i cant remember exactly but mine was like 3546 or somethin like that

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    ive takin my spare out and my jack and rear floormats and other things and i have really light iforged wheels and i cant remember exactly but mine was like 3546 or somethin like that
    Yep, that's typical. I've seen about a dozen or more on an actual scale and they all came in over 3500.

We had a group of friends, about 7 of us. We all lined up for the scale one day,,,,there were 2 4th gens that tipped 3700 lbs.

One I would say was a fluke, but to have 2 of them at 3700?? My 02 SS came in at 3620 that day. Later on I hit the track scale at 3625.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Yep, that's typical. I've seen about a dozen or more on an actual scale and they all came in over 3500.

We had a group of friends, about 7 of us. We all lined up for the scale one day,,,,there were 2 4th gens that tipped 3700 lbs.

One I would say was a fluke, but to have 2 of them at 3700?? My 02 SS came in at 3620 that day. Later on I hit the track scale at 3625.
    yea.. i wish i had a way to lose some REAL weight

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    yea.. i wish i had a way to lose some REAL weight
    I could probably cut back on the cheese burgers

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

haha. me too but if i cut back id float away, i eat everything in sight and i weigh 145

White
    2002 Z28

When you are talking about the weight of your cars, are you talking about the weight with a driver in the car or not. I'm talking about a car with no driver.

I've weighed 3 different cars with almost identical options and gotten almost identical weights from 3 different scales.

I'm going to hit a truck stop scale in the near future and get a slip to post. You'll need to deduct my weight from the vehicles weight.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

When you are talking about the weight of your cars, are you talking about the weight with a driver in the car or not. I'm talking about a car with no driver.

I've weighed 3 different cars with almost identical options and gotten almost identical weights from 3 different scales.

I'm going to hit a truck stop scale in the near future and get a slip to post. You'll need to deduct my weight from the vehicles weight.
    thats with out me

All the weights we have done were "without" driver. Most cars had at least 1/2 tank of gas. Some a little more.

White
    2002 Z28

All the weights we have done were "without" driver. Most cars had at least 1/2 tank of gas. Some a little more.
    We're on to part of the difference. I'm weighing my car after racing and it has 2-3 gallons of fuel in it. You're weighing it with 6-8 gallons more than that. That will account for 50 lbs of our difference. My air compressor weighs 3 lbs by the way. So I'm saying 3420 and your saying 3620. Back off 50lbs off your weight or add 50lbs to mine and we are still 150 apart, but closer.

I'll get a slip from a truck stop in the next week or so.

We've always weighed ours with about 1/2 tank because it's more indicative of how the cars are driven every day.

Gas is only 6 lbs. per gallon. We never race our cars below half tank anyway, and generally prefer 3/4 tank or more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information