Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Oh yes, and in the back seat with the tops off you can very easily feel all the wind back there. At freeway speeds its like a small tornado in the back seat. And no i dont think you can run at the track with the tops off. And the top down will not make up for 4-5 cars, jones is right. You lost ot more powerful car, its ok we all have and if you havent, then you dont race alot and or you only race people you know are slow.
    Ya I didn't think they'd let you make a pass without T-tops. I pulled in through tech with the top down on the vert and the first thing he said was,,,,"you'll have to put that top up". I said ya I kinda figured that.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya I didn't think they'd let you make a pass without T-tops. I pulled in through tech with the top down on the vert and the first thing he said was,,,,"you'll have to put that top up". I said ya I kinda figured that.

Yeah, i had to put the top back on my supra when i was at the track. I was planning on it anyway as that cars chassis flexed bad with the top off. I only got to make 1 good pass as i didnt have a cage.

White
    2002 Z28

Challenger SRT8 is available with a 6M.

I've raced a couple A5's and a couple M6's. They don't impress me. The one that was closest to my car had an intake and an exhaust and was a 6M. He was about 2 tenths slower.

My car is an 02 A4 with 2.73 gears. I've got the FRAM mod, lid, Magnaflow catback and a Diablosport Predator tune.

I have yet to have a stock SRT8 anything run with me and haven't been beaten by any that weren't modded more than my car.

Is third the right gear to be starting from?

Did you maybe shift a bit too early?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

im thinking third gear might have been a better choice, i was shifting at like 5-5.5 k, i dont like to get it too terribly close to red line

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I always race with my t-tops off on the street being the only time I take the car out is during nice weather cruise days.

Like some others have said, it's definitely required to have them on when going down the track. They even have asked me before to make sure they were locked during inspection.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I forgot to lock mine in at the track and lost it half way down. Luckily it didn't bust, slight scratches. The tech guy gave me a stern talking to though.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    im thinking third gear might have been a better choice, i was shifting at like 5-5.5 k, i dont like to get it too terribly close to red line
    An F-body LS1 makes peak power at 5200 rpm. To achieve the best acceleration, you need to shift well beyond 5500 rpm in order to maximize average HP in each gear.

Getting close to redline isn't going to hurt anything - so long as you don't live up there.

SRT-8 Challengers make good power, but are very, very heavy - in excess of 4000 lbs without the driver. That is why they aren't as quick as one might think.

pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

way to early of a shift for a ls1, the ls1 seems to love high rpm's that is where the engine pulls hardest. now that being said i see way he waved you on and then caught you and passed you on the highway. pull all your gears to 6k and shift as hard and fast as you can, when you get that down start power shifting by not letting off the gas while shift. this will make for a hemi eating ls1.

Arctic White, red/gray

I got my best times shifting out of first at 5500-5800rpms and then running the rest of the gears to 6-6100rpms. Of course that was with stock redline and valve train.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

driver mod FTL lol

first "race" this year too...

Arctic White, red/gray

driver mod FTL lol

first "race" this year too...
    Only practice makes you better.

SOM
    2002 SS

Weight doesnt make a difference at higher speeds. I was not referring to the extra weight of a vert but the drag being increased dramatically at higher speeds. Ask the guys at bonneville.. Some of them weld thousands of pounds of lead to keep stable at higher speeds. It takes a bit longer to get there but higher mph is achievable from stability.

Your top being down is like eating 30-40 hp at 140 mph. For those of you who don't believe the top down is not as aero as top up stop being internet wizards and do some research before you type.

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Weight doesnt make a difference at higher speeds. I was not referring to the extra weight of a vert but the drag being increased dramatically at higher speeds. Ask the guys at bonneville.. Some of them weld thousands of pounds of lead to keep stable at higher speeds. It takes a bit longer to get there but higher mph is achievable from stability.

Your top being down is like eating 30-40 hp at 140 mph. For those of you who don't believe the top down is not as aero as top up stop being internet wizards and do some research before you type.
    Well bonneville is an entirely different animal. No one is saying it doesn't make a difference,,,,just that your statement saying,,,"that's why you lost" isn't entirely accurate, as the top up or down will not make up for 4-5 car lengths,,,that's not a loss, that's murdered Putting the top up just won't make up all that distance.

How lame would it sound after the race if someone said,,,,oh wait, let me put the top up and try that again If I were the driver of the car that had to catch, pass, then proceed to put on another 3 cars, I'd think that would be a moot point.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by z95lt1 View Post
    way to early of a shift for a ls1, the ls1 seems to love high rpm's that is where the engine pulls hardest. now that being said i see way he waved you on and then caught you and passed you on the highway. pull all your gears to 6k and shift as hard and fast as you can, when you get that down start power shifting by not letting off the gas while shift. this will make for a hemi eating ls1.
    That will also cause you to have to replace your clutch faster than normal, and you can bend shift forks and mess up the synchros holding the gas down and shifting hard like that. Not to mention it isn't too healthy to let the engine bounce off the rev limiter.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 09-16-2009 at 11:35 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

They do have m6's now, I took the 66 charger to a mopar meet and had the chance to look inside the cars.
    Nice run J.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    That will also cause you to have to replace your clutch faster than normal, and you can bend shift forks and mess up the synchros holding the gas down and shifting hard like that. Not to mention it isn't too healthy to let the engine bounce off the rev limiter.
    Yep, i mainly slammed gears using the clutch and never had 1 problem with my tranny in almost 40kmiles. From stock to 357whp with bolt ons and tune to 430whp + 100 shot.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    They do have m6's now, I took the 66 charger to a mopar meet and had the chance to look inside the cars.
    Nice run J.
    All 2008 SRT8s are Auto. 2009 is when they started putting out the M6 for both the R/T and the SRT8. Nice looking cars.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

so it could have been either, im not sure if it was an 08 or 09, probably impossible to tell

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

so it could have been either, im not sure if it was an 08 or 09, probably impossible to tell
    Yea they all look the same.

pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    who said anything about hitting rev limiter? if you can shift fast it will not hit the rev limiter, and yes its hard on the shift fork and the synchros but i will not loss a race due to crappy shifting. my car has 68k with around town driving and racing and i have had no problems shifting that way, now if all you did is run the s--t out of your car from stop light to stop light at wot and shifting like that then yea you will go though trannies more often.

Thread Information