Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If it is the roof panel bubbling then it would be the same issue.
    Yeah its all about an inch from hatch and it spreads across the whole top

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ours does it on both the sides and top. From a distance it is not really noticeable. Up close, with the light hitting it just right, it looks terrible.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

the panels are no longer ooffered by g so as far as gettin gone new i dont even think you can anymore unless you get lucky. but what you can do is go to the junk yard and find a98-down car seeing as the all use the same panel and get a piece of piano wire and spend about an hr taking one off. Slide the piano wire underneath the panel and start sawing the first part is a bitch but after that it ets a little easier after u get it off just have it painted and install on ur car using 3m window glue....

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Ours does it on both the sides and top. From a distance it is not really noticeable. Up close, with the light hitting it just right, it looks terrible.
    yeah same here you cant see it until your right on it

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I took half of my roof panel off to install a quarter panel. I tried the guitar string but went nowhere. I got a 6"x 12" thin stainless sheet. I then sharpened the narrow end (razor sharp) and hammered the sheet under the panel. It worked really good because it was flexible enough to follow the contour of the roof. In your case it is not worth saving. Get a hammer and pry bar and go to town.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Whenever I finally get around to swapping mine out it's coming off in pieces.

Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

Hi,
    I am living in the Netherlands (Europe), and my 2001 Pewter Camaro is going to have the same problem (so it has nothing to do with the sunshine, in the Netherlands it is not so hot in the summer)
    It may be a stupid question, when you replace this panel, is it the best way to paint it afterwards or before the installation.
    if i read the TSB correctly, you need to paint it before, but i am afraid to get the paint damaged

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had ours painted soon after I bought it. Right now it is resting comfortably on top of my sand blast cabinet awaiting installation. I have one small area on an edge where the paint was rubbed off -- going to blame one of the kids for that. I think painting it before installation is probably best. Easier to wrap the paint around the edges.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I took half of my roof panel off to install a quarter panel. I tried the guitar string but went nowhere. I got a 6"x 12" thin stainless sheet. I then sharpened the narrow end (razor sharp) and hammered the sheet under the panel. It worked really good because it was flexible enough to follow the contour of the roof. In your case it is not worth saving. Get a hammer and pry bar and go to town.
    How thin are we talking here? 1/16"? I havent tried the method i used yet just heard of it working for people but I need to do it this week sometime at the junkyard what thickness did u get and where did you slide it in at? Right where the door and panel meet?

Junior Member The Absence of Light's Avatar

Black as the night
    2002 TransAM with 22,000K

This stinks. I just bought my beauty in September last year. 19 thousand miles, garage kept, looks and runs brand new. EXCEPT I noticed the sail panel looked like someone dripped acid or something on it and it ate the paint in a few spots. The previous owner had just traded her in to buy a new Challenger (hahah sucker.....) so I could not ask him what had happenned. I had it painted and it looked great. I'm now starting to get these pin holes that ooze the snot. After reading this thread I'm very forlorn. Guess I'm going to have to start blowing up Pontiac's customer service line starting tomorrow. I deal with 2 large Pontiac dealerships down where I live and I know that they will do everything short of straight up lie not to cover this of their own volition. And I believe the rust through coverage on our birds ended in 2009 if I am not mistaken.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The replacement warranty on the roof panel expired quite a while ago... you may be on your own with this one. Hopefully, the aftermarket will re-pop the panel at some point.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the panel have all the glue that is causing the problem removed. seal the panel then re glue it down to the car. then have the old paint sanded down and repainted. has anyone tried this. i ask because i cant find one in any scrap yards around me. so i was wondering if i can just fix mine. I know just simply repainting it wont work.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The first problem with that, is removing the panel without breaking it.

Like Cutlass said, if you can get the panel off in one piece you are ahead of the game.
    From there, I'm sure with time and patience you can remove the glue and repair the damage areas of the panel, use a sealer and repaint.

At this point, with new panels non existent, it's probably your only option.

Black
    2000 Firehawk.

AAAAAWWWWW...... But New Panels are available!

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...e6db65f96e4105

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

What is the possibility of stripping the panel, then spraying a new gel coat on it? Would this cap the glue? I'm going to be bead blasting my car at the end of this cruise season, and re-spray. I hate to have to add cutting the sail panel off to the to do list..

Black
    2000 Firehawk.

The only way to fix the problem is to replace the panel..... Many people have tried to repair their panel only to have the problem come back....

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Gotcha...damn. Guess I'll have to source a new one before fall.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Our roof panel is bleeding quite nicely on hot sunny days -- the goo will actually streak out and leave snail trails on the paint. I would like to remedy this issue over the winter by replacing the roof panel per the info set forth in previous threads.

Well... the GM Part No. 10254708 replacement roof panel lists for $445.19 through GM Parts Direct. A bit pricey in my book for a 5 pound piece of SMC. Anyone know of another source for replacement panels? And, if there is such a thing, has anyone bought and installed one?
    I,m new to ownership and i did notice i dunno some like bubbles on hard top maybe sail panel too?
    now let me ask if anyone knows what is under the panels steel???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    I,m new to ownership and i did notice i dunno some like bubbles on hard top maybe sail panel too?
    now let me ask if anyone knows what is under the panels steel???

Steel framework.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information