hugger orange

auto, or manual shift auto?

ok I posted a thread last week about killing my a4 in the goat and looking for opinions on which direction I should go.

sofar I have or have on the way all the goodies to build a stage 4 a4: Hughes race overhaul kit (kevlar clutches, steels, bushings, Raptor input kit with Beast sun shell, sprag, planetaries and transgo race upgrade shift kit.

my question is, the shift kit gives me the choice of staying full auto, or full manual shift......any opinions and pros or cons are welcome. I wouldn't mine needing to shift it.

Nero
    2006 gto

Do it up manny style. Another thing that I found thats pretty cool is a planetary gear splitter from Gear Vendors (I think). Its called the Over/Underdrive, and can effectively double the forwards gears. Just a thought; I think it would be fun to have a 12-speed manual, or in your case an 8 speed
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Do it up manny style. Another thing that I found thats pretty cool is a planetary gear splitter from Gear Vendors (I think). Its called the Over/Underdrive, and can effectively double the forwards gears. Just a thought; I think it would be fun to have a 12-speed manual, or in your case an 8 speed
    I've seen a setup that bolts on the back of the tranny (like a spliter on a big truck) to do what your talking about too. it drops your top gear output down to .5:1 that way you can run super tall gears for the track and then drive home under normal low rpms on the highway

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Only problem I see is the factory shifter would need changed if you go to a manual shift auto,ive been down that path a time or two,otherwise you could go to far or hit a gear you dont want,the shifters are limited for an overdrive trans being they need 4 spots in forward gears.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    Only problem I see is the factory shifter would need changed if you go to a manual shift auto,ive been down that path a time or two,otherwise you could go to far or hit a gear you dont want,the shifters are limited for an overdrive trans being they need 4 spots in forward gears.
    I've got a B&M megashifter laying on the work bench right now to take care of that, I just need to fab up a bracket or two
    I have a shift light to mount on the A pillar, where is the easiest place to get a tach signal? is there a wire running to the cluster I can tap into?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I've got a B&M megashifter laying on the work bench right now to take care of that, I just need to fab up a bracket or two
    I have a shift light to mount on the A pillar, where is the easiest place to get a tach signal? is there a wire running to the cluster I can tap into?
    I would reccomend the coils,not positive the wire on the ls1 maybe the green wire is signal.

hugger orange

I would reccomend the coils,not positive the wire on the ls1 maybe the green wire is signal.
    looked on ls1gto this morning, brown wire/red stripe going into the cluster on the 04....05/06 is different....this might actually be easy!

hugger orange

is there a reason you are not supposed to activate the (in hptuners/ engine/ general) master shift light if you are running an automatic?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

is there a reason you are not supposed to activate the (in hptuners/ engine/ general) master shift light if you are running an automatic?
    I am not sure what you are asking? never used a shift light with my A4,only if i was using a manual shift Auto,is that what you are doing?
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

ok I posted a thread last week about killing my a4 in the goat and looking for opinions on which direction I should go.

sofar I have or have on the way all the goodies to build a stage 4 a4: Hughes race overhaul kit (kevlar clutches, steels, bushings, Raptor input kit with Beast sun shell, sprag, planetaries and transgo race upgrade shift kit.

my question is, the shift kit gives me the choice of staying full auto, or full manual shift......any opinions and pros or cons are welcome. I wouldn't mine needing to shift it.
    If I had to do it again i do manual.that way damn thing is easier to tune and shifts when u want it too.

hugger orange

I found it but forgot to post it.
    brown wire, with a red stripe going into the gauge cluster, or all brown wire in the white plug down by the driverside kick panel.......to get it to work right you MUST have the light set to 4 cylinder lol I beat my head against the wall for awhile on that.....guess it only reads tach signal from one bank? I don't know

hugger orange

I am not sure what you are asking? never used a shift light with my A4,only if i was using a manual shift Auto,is that what you are doing?
    the stock shift light in the gauge cluster is the "up shift light" I was talking about, I did a bunch of reading and learned the pinout the M6 uses for this is used for the 1-2, or 2-3 shift solinoid in the A4.

hugger orange

If I had to do it again i do manual.that way damn thing is easier to tune and shifts when u want it too.
    also learned something else! this is a good one too!
    go into hptuners > trans > shift properties > general (perf option) .......stock it is set to "No Switch", change it to "two Switches"
    need 2 momentary switches run to ground, run one wire from switch A to pinout 71 (this gives you performance shift and let's you run two different tranny tunes by changing the "performance" setings it the tranny section

next run a wire from switch B to pinout 31, when you hit this button it throughs the tranny in manual shift mode!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

nice.

hugger orange

I picked up the switches, wire and pins today, and have the programing done. now I just have to hook them up, mount them and reflash the computer!

Thread Information