Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ran a 2010 1ss!

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    so my neighbour picked up a new 1ss camaro l99... really beautiful car. orange with black stripes... too bad it's an auto though.

either way he came out last night so i could look it over, take it for a drive, compare it to mine, and of course, race...

we raced four times from a dig, cause rolls are ghey. each time was the same outcome. close right out of the hole but i would start pulling at the top of first and didn't look back. probably 2-3 cars in the 1\4 and pulling. i thought it would be closer. he was cool about it though. good sport. he ordered a CAI and wants to run again after.

good points about the car: much better build quality than a 4th gen--- you can tell it's much more solid, quiet inside, comfortable, low end torque seems better.. no rubbermaid interior

low points: l99 has less hp than ls3. the torque management for the trans is terrible! it shifts as fast as a retard building a picnic table. big downfall for the auto.

front and rear windows are a little small. poorer visibility than a 4th gen.

my cars mods are: CAI, full custom exhaust (no headers) ported TB and diablo tuner. e\t streets.
    I wouldnt be bashing autos that bad... It says here from the initial tests the auto was faster in 60ft time and 1/4 mile time... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=129496#2
    1999 Camaro Z28 w/ sports appearance package & optional 3.23 rear gears - SLP lid, custom Diablo tune. BEST 1/4 MILE TIME W/O MODS: 13.4 @ 102mph. NEW TIMES SOON!

2002 Camaro Z28 - Stall, gears, exhaust, tuned 12.3 @ 111mph SOLD

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

there is probably a little room for improvement---- but how much? would you spend 2k for 20hp?

i know i should have--- but i was so excited to be running a new ss i couldn't reach the fog light button with my raging boner in the way
    LOL, I know what you mean. Looks like you had a pretty much deserted road for those "tests".

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    LOL, I know what you mean. Looks like you had a pretty much deserted road for those "tests".
    yeah it's a secondary highway... 2 miles of road with no houses around if you head the direction we were. it's sweet

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i know i should have--- but i was so excited to be running a new ss i couldn't reach the fog light button with my raging boner in the way

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

there is probably a little room for improvement---- but how much? would you spend 2k for 20hp?
    You can have the ls3 head cnc ported for a 20whp gain for around 800bucks. Intake flow is around 360cfm, there is always room for improvement over factory anything.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 08-17-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Except usually reliability. That's why there is room for improvement, the factory has to worry about warranties and abuse, so they leave some HP (suspension design, or other things) on the design room floor.

Arctic White, red/gray

^^^Except usually reliability. That's why there is room for improvement, the factory has to worry about warranties and abuse, so they leave some HP (suspension design, or other things) on the design room floor.
    True, but a better flowing head wont hurt reliability. It just opens the door for more power which could in turn hurt reliability. There are plenty of cam/head lsx cars that are still very very reliable.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i think the reason you dont see those worked heads stock..besides ls7 and 9 i believe..so that cnc work is expensive ..so gm saves it for only the top end heads

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i think the reason you dont see those worked heads stock..besides ls7 and 9 i believe..so that cnc work is expensive ..so gm saves it for only the top end heads
    Im sure, and its not like the ls1/ls2/ls3 heads flow bad, they are quite good for stock 2 valve heads.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    True, but a better flowing head wont hurt reliability. It just opens the door for more power which could in turn hurt reliability. There are plenty of cam/head lsx cars that are still very very reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Im sure, and its not like the ls1/ls2/ls3 heads flow bad, they are quite good for stock 2 valve heads.
    All above is true. HP costs $$$, how much do you wanna spend?

Thread Information