Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Small update.. Started working on my stand alone the other day. Had redo the factory work, (did'nt like the workmanship) and lengthen the overall harness. I'd picked up the properly labeled wires a while back. The wires have label of where they go written into their coatings. Makes life a little easier for the installer (me).

This is the original set up. There was nothing to support the wires where they entered the ECM plug. Looked like a weak spot to me.

This is after I removed the factory crap covering.

I desided to wheather proof the 2 areas @ the factory crimpings for added strength and protection with heat shrink tubbing.

Now a bundling layer @ the base of the plug and running down about 8 or so inches.

Next I soldiered the wire ends to their corresponding wires..

Heat shrinking each of them aswell.

Then using a long length of heat shrink tubbing, I covered the harness to about 2/3 the total length. As you can see I also fused the cable to the plug for added harness durability @ the plug end.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-02-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nice work Sir!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks Jon..I'm workin' on it.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

looking good, when is the project completion date?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    looking good, when is the project completion date?
    Who knows lol.. Shit ton of fab work yet, I've been slow working on it lately. Hope to get more going this weekend.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Nice.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks guys I'll get some more pics up soon..

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

so what engine are you doing this on anyways?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th02Z28 View Post
    so what engine are you doing this on anyways?
    <-------A 92 3.4L TDC (twin duel cam).
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    <-------A 92 3.4L TDC (twin duel cam).
    oh ok well even though I hardly know anything about v6's I want to see how this turns out looks very promising

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Mega Squirt II Stand Alone Build.

Update:

Spent some of Fri, Sat, and Sunday, Building my stand alone engine managment system kit.

Just had to put the contents of these "couple" lol, bags on the blank board.

An idea of the size of components I'm working with..

Starting @ the top of the bare board. (FET) placement etc. And temporarly tape them in place.

This is the tip on the soldering iron I used. It's plated so not to let solder stick to it.

Soldered then afterwards clip the ends off with mini end cutters.

Each small bag denotes it's contents and Alpha Numeric placement and pole direction (if nessasary).

For example: These are diodes that only let current flow in one dirrection.

After the first few pieces are in place I removed the tape and used 4 Nylon bolts and nuts. This is temporarily to hold the board up for further piece placement.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-13-2009 at 11:18 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Then repeat and continue with each tiny circuit.

Them bolted on the end panels.

Then installing a 40 pin riser bridge, for the Daughter board which just presses in place.

Daughter board: (factory assembled).

Daughter board installed, and heat transfer paste (white) on the backs of the (FETS) and transitors.

The small hole is for a vacuum line for the "on board" MAP.

Then on to the grounded heat sink. It's the long plate across the (FET's).

After all checks are made and everything is inspected or gone over to be sure it works I place the lid on the unit.

The finished unit and harness connected:
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Mega bump

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

how difficult was that to do?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

how difficult was that to do?
    Well as you could see in one of the pics I have hot dog fingers and the parts are tiny, not all but most are. First thing one would need is to know how to solder circuit board individual circuits. A good understanding of what things are (each circuit) and how to test them. If someone is good @ just simple soldering I wound'nt recommend this type of kit. They would be IMHO better off just buying one that's already built. I've been fooling with electronics for years as a hobby so it was'nt to bad for myself to tackle it (aside from the big fingers).

Also one would have to know how to control temps on the part being soldered. Some electronic componets will die if over heated. With an iron up to temp it can take less than a split second to heat up the pin and apply solder. So work fast and be deliberate. Compressed air can help cool things down after they are soldered too. Some folks even use a spray refrigerant to cool down a part instantly.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

Well as you could see in one of the pics I have hot dog fingers and the parts are tiny, not all but most are. First thing one would need is to know how to solder circuit board individual circuits. A good understanding of what things are (each circuit) and how to test them. If someone is good @ just simple soldering I wound'nt recommend this type of kit. They would be IMHO better off just buying one that's already built. I've been fooling with electronics for years as a hobbie so it was'nt to bad for myself to tackle it (aside from the big fingers).

Also one would have to know how to control temps on the part being soldered. Some electronic componets will die if over heated. With an iron up to temp it can take less than a split second to heat up the pin and apply solder. So work fast and be deliberate. Compressed air can help cool things down instantly after they are soldered too. Some folks even use a spray refrigerant to cool down a part instantly.
    ya definitely not for someone who hasn't been doing it for a long while like me I only know basic soldering sadly. But its interesting that you can get this stuff and build it yourself I personally don't know a lot about the computers and other related electronics just putting that out there in case I say something dumb lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also it's good to have a SUPER clean room, with climate control. High humidity can be a bad thing, and so can sweat on your board cause one will be leaning over it ALOT. Laytex gloves are good too. I have a "white" shop room in my house so it made things a little nicer for me.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

ya definitely not for someone who hasn't been doing it for a long while like me I only know basic soldering sadly. But its interesting that you can get this stuff and build it yourself I personally don't know a lot about the computers and other related electronics just putting that out there in case I say something dumb lol
    Nah nothing dumb about asking. I appreciate the interest. Hard to find sometimes when you're a v6 guy lol. The cost of buying the kit rather than the unit assembled was literaly night and day difference. I could have gone that route, but why spend the coin if ya aint gotta I always say. The tech support for the unit assembly is top shelf too. They can and will answer ANY questions a person thinking of doing one as I have built can think of. They answer emails too almost within moments for some. DIY (purchase company) has pages and pages of asked questions on file, and openly gives numerous DIY links to developers for someone to ask a question. The tuner software is also free!
    No BS to buy just log on and down load. They constantly update the software too and updates are free also.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

Nah nothing dumb about asking. I appreciate the interest. Hard to find sometimes when you're a v6 guy lol. The cost of buying the kit rather than the unit assembled was literaly night and day difference. I could have gone that route, but why spend the coin if ya aint gotta I always say. The tech support for the unit assembly is top shelf too. They can and will answer ANY questions a person thinking of doing one as I have built can think of. They answer emails too almost within moments for some. DIY (purchase company) has pages and pages of asked questions on file, and openly gives numerous DIY links to developers for someone to ask a question. The tuner software is also free!
    No BS to buy just log on and down load. They constantly update the software too and updates are free also.
    well its very interesting theres nothing wrong with an american V6 especially when you got a lot of horses, perfect sleeper lol.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

well its very interesting theres nothing wrong with an american V6 especially when you got a lot of horses, perfect sleeper lol.
    I love the TDC v6 mostly because it is rare to see them with a turbo, and I've never come across one that was a TT. It's probably the only 90s' v6 exclusively built by Chevrolet, rather than it being a buick, pontiac, olds, and so forth. Chevy built them from concept to production. So it's an all chevy motor going into a chevy.
    The engines were used exclusivly in w-body production cars and nowhere else. Only in Z34 for chevy (maybe a hand full of euros), and in 92 if I remeber correctly out of maybe 100,000 luminas, only 82-8400 were Z34's. The 5 spd is rare since they went all auto in about 94. The transmissions were Muncie Getrag 284. Since Pontiac stopped producing the Fiero, the 284 Muncie getrag, was also exclusive to the w-body platform. But some of the "little" 3.4 TDC tech lives on to this day.
    When you hear the words "North Star" think TDC....
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2009 at 03:13 AM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information