Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mustang gt's??

Torch Red
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1

This is for you people who like the sound of a wound up Mustang. This is my car going through its final tuning session. The car is running a Ford Racing 4.6L "Aluminator" 4 valve motor with a Kenne Bell 2.1 twin screw supercharger through Kooks long tube headers, catted x-pipe, and Borla Stinger catback.

Enjoy.

Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

I keep getting the message I need to post so I will. A little back ground I like cars I have 2 fords and 2 GMs. If you really want good information about Fords go to the drag strip test and tune, don't believe all you read here or on a Mustang site. My DD was a Mach 1 with only 312/329, I averaged over 21MPG on each tank, I drove over 70 miles a day, I ran low 8's 1/8 mile, won a lot more than I lost against any make. I had 95K miles when I traded it and got 08 Mustang GT/CS Vert, I had to make it my own, it now has 426 RWHP, so beware of the Junk Mustangs! I hate posting, I can't learn when I'm trying to talk, and I learn things here and at the other sites I visit.

Mike
    33 Ford
    57 Chevy
    65 Pontiac
    08 GT/CS
    Note: nothing stays stock!!!

2011 Prius

I am not a Mustang fan, but do plain on picking up a 95-99 Mustang GT, because there cheap. Keeping it as a daily driver with exuast, and keeping the T/A for weekend fun.

Hey, I am 18 work hard and to young for a Honda Civic.

white
    1998 ta

yall would like my brothers stang if you like getting spanked by a 4 cyl (86 svo)

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by jaydean21849 View Post
    yall would like my brothers stang if you like getting spanked by a 4 cyl (86 svo)
    We just got done dyno tuning my buddies turbo 91 5.0. Driving back form the shop getting used to the tune and car a SVO pulled up and started talking real cocky like wanna lose to a 4 cylinder stang and blah blah. We have both seen this guy at the track and at cars shows its a consistent high 11 low 12 traps 118mph or so, super clean all white with red interior turbo 4 banger. My friend didnt wanna go from a dig since he had never launched the car with the new tires and tune(the car picked up 120whp over the base line run). So they went from 2nd gear and i wish i could have seen his face once he heard the turbo but we were already to busy pulling. About 2 weeks later my friend pulled a new best 129mph trap speed at 9psi lol.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

94-95 GT was the 302 5.0 which made 225 hp. They also had a slightly underrated Cobra which had different heads/intake and rated at 240hp. Many put down 220-230rwhp in stock form.
    96-98 GT which is what we call turds. They are the slowest 2V GT. The heads really suck as does the intake and cams. There really is no helping these motors unless you swap the top end out.
    99-04 GT commonly known as the PI motors which got better cams/heads and intake. Many 96-98 2V guys were swapping these parts to make up for the power. These motors can make some power, but will require some money.

Also we have the B headed 4V cobra- 96-98 Cobras(heads flow great, but velocity sucks, good for FI applications, but really need a lot of port work for NA applications and 7500-8000 rpms). These guys also swap their intakes for a short runner intake which boosts hp, but you lose low end torque. A set of 4.30/4.56's changes that though These cars were rated 305/300.

C head Cobra(99-01 the better flowing heads, also make a good NA application unlike the B heads). These were slightly quicker than the 96-98, but tougher to launch due to the weak IRS. These cars were rated 320/316

All of fords DOHC/4V engines could be swapped among themselves. Many people found Mark VIII motors and put them in their Cobras or GT's.

The 03-04 Mach 1 was similar to the 99-01 Cobra except the cams and intake were different which gave the car more low to mid range power. Those were rated 305(03) and 310(04). I forget the torque figures, but these cars were underrated. many were making 280-290 rwhp stock. I forget what the auto's were rated for. The Auto's had a lower redline and a different crank due to the automatic tranny.

The 03-04 Cobra's went with forged internals and an iron block with the PD type blower. They were underrated at 390 hp.

You also have the 1995 Cobra R w/ a 351 making 300 hp and a 2000.5 Cobra R with a 5.4 making 385 hp.

It takes a lot of money to make a 2V make HP. It doesn't take as much to make it fast. Some guys like Bill Putnam were running their bolt on and cammed GT's to high 11's. It will cost a lot to make a 2V make power. You will need a forged bottom end, heads/cams and a power adder to make any significant power over 500.

However, a 4V is a much better platform to start with because it responds better to mods and they love gears. Both my old 99 Cobra and 97 had 4.10's or 4.30's and love them. That woke the car up a lot. You can get a 4V into the low to mid 11's with bolt ons and weight reduction. Also the 4V loves nitrous, a blower or a turbo. Either one of those 3 will make significant power with the right combo.

The 2V motor is no match mod for mod with the LS1. The 4V can make similar power as a LS1, but it will take more money to get there. It took my 97 Cobra w/ about 2000 in mods with full exhaust(LT's o/r exhaust), and bolt ons, 4.30's and a tune to barely stay ahead of our LS1 that has a lid and a catback.
    NA wise mod for mod, the 4V loses to the LS1 due to the cost it requires to make faster. However, you can have a 96-01 4V with forced induction and it still may not be quicker than a H/C, bolt on LS1 car. It will all depend.

My site has quite a bit of technicial info on both the Mustang and F-Body

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Arctic White, red/gray

Supposedly some heads came out for the 2v that gets them to flow 300cfm, putting them on par with 4v heads.

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

me and my gf own a 2001 Mustang GT and my parents have an 02 Trans AM.

withe the T/A having over 300hp and the stang only having 265hp, its a DOG compared to the T/A. Granted with stock exhaust, the mustang has the most impressive sound, but we put flowmaster 40 non delta flow 2 chambers, catless X-pipe, and new piping with the stock tips. Sounds AMAZING!! my parents are doing a magnaflow soon on the T/A and thats it.

Granted the mustang is LOUD, sounds good, and is fun, its nothing compared to the T/A. The T/A handles 100 X's better, mustang sucks for handling.

the mustang will require thousands just to compete with a stock T/A.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 02convertibleT/A View Post

withe the T/A having over 300hp and the stang only having 265hp, its a DOG compared to the T/A. Granted with stock exhaust, the mustang has the most impressive sound, but we put flowmaster 40 non delta flow 2 chambers, catless X-pipe, and new piping with the stock tips. Sounds AMAZING!! my parents are doing a magnaflow soon on the T/A and thats it.

Granted the mustang is LOUD, sounds good, and is fun, its nothing compared to the T/A. The T/A handles 100 X's better, mustang sucks for handling.

Really? I never got to drive a Mustang in a fun way. But I don't think the Trans Am handles that great.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyLS1 View Post
    It went 12.4 .. problem is that you can go 12.4 on an ls1 with cheap bolt ons lol

My baby, RIP
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

whos in the black bikini in the back shes hot

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

thinking of buying a fox body notchback and putting my old ls1 in it when i get the ls6 for the t/a.i know a guy who owns a junkyard that specializes in mustangs and he says he's got some 4 cyls he is trying to sell.i think that would make a hell of a drag/street car and with buying a original 4 cyl model there is no way the body is twisted.

black
    01 SS

you have to be kidding!!! i have had my share of mustangs, and they may not be as fast as the lsx cars, thats for sure, but they handle alot better then the T/A's and camaro's.. hands down.. i would take some of my mustang's into some corners alot faster then id ever take my SS, and i have some suspension mods on my SS.. so i have to give the mustang credit, for handling, and comfort..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Here's a good soundin' one lol..

:\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    you have to be kidding!!! i have had my share of mustangs, and they may not be as fast as the lsx cars, thats for sure, but they handle alot better then the T/A's and camaro's.. hands down.. i would take some of my mustang's into some corners alot faster then id ever take my SS, and i have some suspension mods on my SS.. so i have to give the mustang credit, for handling, and comfort..
    no way man. I HATE driving hard in the stang. A lot more roll to it. The T/A feels planted. and the mustang breaks the rear end loose SOO much easier b/c the rear end is SO light. coming thru a turn, get on the gas an spin em, like my buddies Z06, but thats b/c of power, lol.

Both the T/A and Stang are stock.

Arctic White, red/gray

no way man. I HATE driving hard in the stang. A lot more roll to it. The T/A feels planted. and the mustang breaks the rear end loose SOO much easier b/c the rear end is SO light. coming thru a turn, get on the gas an spin em, like my buddies Z06, but thats b/c of power, lol.

Both the T/A and Stang are stock.
    Neither car handles that great. Just because the rear end breaks loose coming out of a turn doesnt mean it handles worse.

Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Neither car handles that great. Just because the rear end breaks loose coming out of a turn doesnt mean it handles worse.
    i didnt mean it like that, i just meant i hate that the mustang has such a light rear end. its fun for certain things tho!!!

granted i dont race either car, this is all just from street driving.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    +1.

Even though the rear suspension style on the F-Body is better for what it does than the Mustangs LCA/UCA/quadshock setup which is a joke.

Both could be improved.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    Handle better?? I totally disagree. The 04 and earlier Fox chassis dates back to 1979, and its not known for its handling. If you've ever looked at the front suspension design of an SN95 or later Mustang, they use a Modified Macpherson strut suspension, which is basically garbage. Its has coil springs mounted between the chassis and lower control arm, and then struts going from the outer part of the control arm to the chassis. Its very similar to suspension designs used in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy
    Neither car handles that great. Just because the rear end breaks loose coming out of a turn doesnt mean it handles worse
    F-bodies handle pretty well stock and with mods anything is possible. With the suspension/brake mods on my car I can easily hang with my friends STI through the twisties.

Arctic White, red/gray

What happens when your friends mods his suspension? A sti with full coil overs, sway bars and some minor brake upgrades would be untouchable to a f-body no matter how much you upgrade the suspension.

Not anything is possible with this suspension. You give it too much credit imo.

black
    01 SS

[QUOTE=Wesman;2015365]Handle better?? I totally disagree. The 04 and earlier Fox chassis dates back to 1979, and its not known for its handling. If you've ever looked at the front suspension design of an SN95 or later Mustang, they use a Modified Macpherson strut suspension, which is basically garbage. Its has coil springs mounted between the chassis and lower control arm, and then struts going from the outer part of the control arm to the chassis. Its very similar to suspension designs used in the 60's.]

well this might be the case, but i still stand by my statement, i would take any of my previous mustang's through corners alot faster then id ever take my SS.. i personally love how the mustangs handle..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information