Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I've put Stage 8 bolts on every set of headers I've installed over the past 10 years and never had a gasket leak (just my .02). For the money, its great insurance to save the headache of having to replace the gasket. Of course, when I bought my first set for my Chevelle they were less than $30 and two years later the same set for my Nova cost nearly $20 more! Usually have to grind a few of the locks to make them fit right, anyone tried installing them on a LS1?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Use the stock GM gasket for worry free on the leak part. I have used stock for 5 years with no issues/leaks. You will kick yourself in the ass if you use crap gaskets

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Use the stock GM gasket for worry free on the leak part. I have used stock for 5 years with no issues/leaks. You will kick yourself in the ass if you use crap gaskets
    Quoted for truth, even my Kooks Gaskets blew when my bolts got loose. Should have stuck with the GM gaskets

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

So all I have to do is not install the egr.... Cool but what do I do with the hose and stuff can I take the hole unit off or is there some type of plug I need to fab. What is the process? If there is already a thread on this than sorry I just cant find it.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jsremmos View Post
    So all I have to do is not install the egr.... Cool but what do I do with the hose and stuff can I take the hole unit off or is there some type of plug I need to fab. What is the process? If there is already a thread on this than sorry I just cant find it.
    2001's don't have the EGR system... so your best bet is to have some one take off the egr tube and weld a patch over it...

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Im pretty sure I do there is all the stuff there for it and It runs right into the top of my manifolds

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Im pretty sure I do there is all the stuff there for it and It runs right into the top of my manifolds
    the egr would be a black tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the front of your intake mmanifold...

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

That's probably the AIR system your thinking of. Starts behind the driver side headlight, connects to the driver side exhaust manifold, then runs around the back of the engine bay, and ends at the passanger side exhaust manifold. You don't need that either, unless your needing it to pass emissions if you have them

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

OK Cool... Thats what that is... Thanks Guys

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

So these headers have all the pollution holes. The egr needs welded, no problem.
    What do you do with the AIR holes? Or do most of you leave this system in place?

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    So these headers have all the pollution holes. The egr needs welded, no problem.
    What do you do with the AIR holes? Or do most of you leave this system in place?
    Block off plates. They cost 8 bucks average and work perfect. If you aren't running cats there's no point in the AIR system

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    Block off plates. They cost 8 bucks average and work perfect. If you aren't running cats there's no point in the AIR system
    I probably could get by without them in Ohio. But it is nice to have headers that can be used either way. The block-off plates are cheap and with those headers I can afford to get a set over the winter. Thanks for the information.

white
    camaro

I installed these this past weekend. The passenger side slipped right in without any problems, although the manifold bolts were a pain in the d!ck to install. The driver side is a completely different story. It took about 3 hours of "massaging" the firewall, grinding and trimming the k-member and grinding the tab on the side of the engine block. But once it was in, they're beautiful. I have the car in the shop to fab a y-pipe (i suck at welding and recognize it), but I had no banging issues. The only thing I will add is that the AIR connections on the headers are not threaded. I rigged up a couple of 2'' SS 1/4 bolts and nuts, just fwiw
    Red blur= Daily driver
    blue blur= project t/a
    Previous moneypits: 94 Firebird/99 Firebird/ 97 WS6/ 98 Z28

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Thanks for posting the info. I just purchased mine yesterday so I'm hoping it wont be any more of a headache! Let us know the power & sound increase you experience. Do you plan on dyno numbers??

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Alright LS1's what's our FINAL VERDICT on these OPTION, JVT, EBAYERS!!!! On a scale of 1-10 (for those that have them installed) what number would you give????

AND what's the BEST Y-PIPE for these!!!! I heard the Edelbrock ORY is a good fit........

I currently have pacesetter shorties but will dump those for these since I have a TSP 224R I just purchased......your thoughts....

white
    camaro

It's kinda hard to rate these. I've only installed midlengths previously. The power is noticeable and the sound incredible. When I installed the macs last time, I had a lift and took me about 8 hours. Granted I'm more experienced now, but it took me the same amount of time with it on the ground by myself. It's definitely worth the time and money IMO.
    Also, it cost me the same for a flowmaster merge and to have a shop fab up a 3'' y as it did to order one online with shipping. The best y pipe is the one you don't have to wrestle with whilst on your back.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by macool68 View Post
    It's kinda hard to rate these. I've only installed midlengths previously. The power is noticeable and the sound incredible. When I installed the macs last time, I had a lift and took me about 8 hours. Granted I'm more experienced now, but it took me the same amount of time with it on the ground by myself. It's definitely worth the time and money IMO.
    Also, it cost me the same for a flowmaster merge and to have a shop fab up a 3'' y as it did to order one online with shipping. The best y pipe is the one you don't have to wrestle with whilst on your back.
    so your sayng have a custom ory made or..?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

What's your proof the ebay headers are rejects??? What type of testing did they fail at and what allows other companies to sell them to customers without penalties? Please confirm with factual documents.......And if that's true why would some (like the JVT headers I bought) come with a one year warranty against defects? Just wondering............

white
    98 trans am

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-11133-1FLT/ ive saved up some money now its time for some mods im thinking about getting these headers.... is it a good choice??

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

It's all good fellow LS1er!!!! No offense taken bro, just a question. I appreciate your answer & explanation.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information