Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STI Wrx

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The new evo and STI can put down 340whp with the stock turbo and bolt ons and tune and running 93 octane. That makes both of those cars deep deep 12 second cars some even touching 11.8s or so. I havent seen too many ls1 cars with bolt ons and a tune running deep 12s with no drivetrain work done.

When comparing cars i too look at trap speed to show how much power they are making. A 340whp ls1 car vs a 340whp sti will have simular trap times but the STIs 1/4mile time will most likely be faster.
    Thats 110WHP over the stock numbers. I don't believe it, period. It takes more than just bolt ons to gain that kind of power, and you know it.

Not to mention STI engines aren't forged. Meaning cranking up the boost and making significantly more power than stock is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. Most often its the rods and rod bearings that give out on them first. I've personally seen 3 STI engines meet their fate that way.

And there are plenty of bolt on LS1's running low 12's and high 11's. It takes nothing more than full bolt ons and a set of DR's or slicks.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Thats 110WHP over the stock numbers. I don't believe it, period. It takes more than just bolt ons to gain that kind of power, and you know it.

Not to mention STI engines aren't forged. Meaning cranking up the boost and making significantly more power than stock is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. Most often its the rods and rod bearings that give out on them first. I've personally seen 3 STI engines meet their fate that way.

And there are plenty of bolt on LS1's running low 12's and high 11's. It takes nothing more than full bolt ons and a set of DR's or slicks.
    Id like to see any full weight, bolt on ls1 with just drag radials run 11s. That mean no drive train work.

BTW people with agressive pump gas tunes have gotten 300whp on the evo x with no other mods than tuning. Vishnu even though his tunes are known to be less reliable than other has gotten 310whp out of a stock evo x with just a tune. The bolt on parts arent even what gives big hp bumps on these turbo cars, its the ability to spool faster and harder that opens the door for more tuning which is what yields results.

HB speed which is a good race team in time attack competitions has dynoed near 340whp on there dyno on stock turbo evo xs.

Silver
    2002 LS1

Sounds about right. My friend has an STI, stock for stock they aren't any match for an LS1. After 100MPH you might as well get out and push the car lol, they have no top end, period.
    haha are they really that bad?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Id like to see any full weight, bolt on ls1 with just drag radials run 11s. That mean no drive train work.
    Look around. I'm not going to waste my time on you proving something about LS1 cars on an LS1 forum.

BTW people with agressive pump gas tunes have gotten 300whp on the evo x with no other mods than tuning. Vishnu even though his tunes are known to be less reliable than other has gotten 310whp out of a stock evo x with just a tune. The bolt on parts arent even what gives big hp bumps on these turbo cars, its the ability to spool faster and harder that opens the door for more tuning which is what yields results.

HB speed which is a good race team in time attack competitions has dynoed near 340whp on there dyno on stock turbo evo xs.
    No car gains 80WHP with "just a tune".

Its called "cranking up the boost". Interesting how you leave that part of the "tune" out

haha are they really that bad?
    In one word...yes. You get that nice shove in the seat in 1st-3rd gear, but after that its just dead in the water. Tach and speedo slowwwwly climb once you bang 4th.

Arctic White, red/gray

Look around. I'm not going to waste my time on you proving something about LS1 cars on an LS1 forum.

No car gains 80WHP with "just a tune".

Its called "cranking up the boost". Interesting how you leave that part of the "tune" out

In one word...yes. You get that nice shove in the seat in 1st-3rd gear, but after that its just dead in the water. Tach and speedo slowwwwly climb once you bang 4th.
    Yes the boost does change, but you also leave out that so does everything else to make the tune a reliable one. I went from 12psi(190whp) to 17psi(250whp) and i spool 500rpms quicker almost 40kmiles ago on my legacy gt and i have never had one problem with the car, its my dd. Some guys with manual trannys are putting down 280whp on bolt on legacy gts which have far subpar turbos compared to the sti.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-22-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

ignore wesman... He works on these cars.. but yet doesn't know what their capable of. You have multiple people on here who own LS1 F-bodies, and other "tuner" cars as a DD, but when they say what they can do, you don't want to hear it.
    Don't be upset that a stock 4 banger can out perform a stock LS1 in the quarter.. I'll keep my, as you say "clutch frying launches" and you can keep your glass rear end..
    All stock Evo VIII 12.95 @ 106.32mph with a 1.89 60ft.
    Highest stock trap: 107.26mph

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63inside View Post
    ignore wesman... He works on these cars.. but yet doesn't know what their capable of. You have multiple people on here who own LS1 F-bodies, and other "tuner" cars as a DD, but when they say what they can do, you don't want to hear it.
    Don't be upset that a stock 4 banger can out perform a stock LS1 in the quarter.. I'll keep my, as you say "clutch frying launches" and you can keep your glass rear end..
    Interesting point.

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

just for the record my 05 STi (smaller turbo) with nothing but intake and 3" turbo back exhaust dynoed 290awhp on a VERY reliable local dyno, and this was WITHOUT A TUNE....the new ones should be able to do that EASILY.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    just for the record my 05 STi (smaller turbo) with nothing but intake and 3" turbo back exhaust dynoed 290awhp on a VERY reliable local dyno, and this was WITHOUT A TUNE....the new ones should be able to do that EASILY.
    hmm thanks for that info..you dont see alot of dyno numbers for the evo's around here..

Arctic White, red/gray

I would say thats not a mustang dyno, on a mustang dyno your car would put down 260-270whp but with a tune 300-320whp would be what you would have seen on a msutang dyno and 330-350whp on a dyno jet. Stock STI turbos can spool 22psi and be reliable on 93 octane and no water/meth system.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-22-2009 at 01:16 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

So an intake and an exhaust gained you 60WHP, with NO tuning??

The claims just get more and more outrageous.

I'm sure he turned the boost up, which he isn't mentioning.

Arctic White, red/gray

Like i said he must not have been on a mustang dyno. Evox/new STI put down 240-250whp on a mustang dyno and 270-280whp on a dyno jet. And or yes the boost was turned up because intakes dont really do anything on STI/LGT engine at these power levels without being tuned in.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    shady milkman, you missed my point and then made my point on your message after mine. Thats exactly what i mean, the times are all over the place and im using examples to explain you just cant pin point why one car goes faster meaning E.T or MPH then another car since it has many factors. Most 4WD cars will run quicker E.T's and ill stick to stock so its easier to understand then RWD cars. If a STI has 300HP i think with a good driver it can run a quicker E.T atleast then a LS1 maybe but the LS1 will most likely have a faster MPH. Ive seen that happen many many times, 4WD cars just fall flat after they get up there in the MPH. In the end a 4wd car is usually quicker modded or stock then a car with equal or a bit more hp but runs slower MPH, usually. I think the EVO handles excellent and does other things well not just one thing, but i still love my LS1. The new camaro, so far ive seen 110-111 MPH but im sure other magz have been able to run them faster.
    ahhh i get ya..and please..call me jordon

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    shady milkman, you missed my point and then made my point on your message after mine. Thats exactly what i mean, the times are all over the place and im using examples to explain you just cant pin point why one car goes faster meaning E.T or MPH then another car since it has many factors. Most 4WD cars will run quicker E.T's and ill stick to stock so its easier to understand then RWD cars. If a STI has 300HP i think with a good driver it can run a quicker E.T atleast then a LS1 maybe but the LS1 will most likely have a faster MPH. Ive seen that happen many many times, 4WD cars just fall flat after they get up there in the MPH. In the end a 4wd car is usually quicker modded or stock then a car with equal or a bit more hp but runs slower MPH, usually. I think the EVO handles excellent and does other things well not just one thing, but i still love my LS1. The new camaro, so far ive seen 110-111 MPH but im sure other magz have been able to run them faster.

They dont fall flat at higher mph, they trap what any 240whp car would. The just have such fast 1/4miles times because of the launch. If a STI put down 300whp and a ls1 car put down 300whp there traps speeds would be almost the same since they are both 3400ishlbs cars with 300whp but the STI would have a faster 1/4miles time because it can launch so well.

Its a common mistake people make thinking that evos and STIs have horrible top end, they have the same top end any turbo car with 240whp would have. AWD doesnt hurt you from going fast it just takes more hp from the crank to the wheels, but wheel hp is wheel hp and if a evo or sti is making 300whp it will hang with a 300whp ls1 car even on a roll.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-23-2009 at 06:58 AM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

They dont fall flat at higher mph, they trap what any 240whp car would. The just have such fast 1/4miles times because of the launch. If a STI put down 300whp and a ls1 car put down 300whp there traps speeds would be almost the same since they are both 3400ishlbs cars with 300whp but the STI would have a faster 1/4miles time because it can launch so well.

Its a common mistake people make thinking that evos and STIs have horrible top end, they have the same top end any turbo car with 240whp would have. AWD doesnt hurt you from going fast it just takes more hp from the crank to the wheels, but wheel hp is wheel hp and if a evo or sti is making 300whp it will hang with a 300whp ls1 car even on a roll.
    Common mistake?? Not really.

Everyone views the Evo and STI as low 13 second cars. And when you launch like you stole it, they can be. So ricers think that because they can run low 13's, they are as fast as other cars that run low 13's. Then they get annihalated from anthing other than a dig by a stock LS1 or a Mustang Cobra, and its like a huge reality check. Evos and STI's aren't fast cars. They are quick cars, which means they can go from point A to point B in a hurry, but they aren't powerful. They also have no top end because the fall off boost at high RPM's, so they don't any good top end power, either. Like I've said, you feel the acceleration in 1st through 3rd, after that you might as well get out and push.

Onyx Black, M6

You guys crack me up....it was STOCK BOOST, no boost controller, NO TUNE. 290AWHP. Period. You guys just don't want to admit that these cars can make some really good power VERY easily...

I probably have the graph around here somewhere, maybe I'll post it. Doubt all you want.

Onyx Black, M6

Everyone views the Evo and STI as low 13 second cars. And when you launch like you stole it, they can be. So ricers think that because they can run low 13's, they are as fast as other cars that run low 13's. Then they get annihalated from anthing other than a dig by a stock LS1 or a Mustang Cobra, and its like a huge reality check. Evos and STI's aren't fast cars. They are quick cars, which means they can go from point A to point B in a hurry, but they aren't powerful. They also have no top end because the fall off boost at high RPM's, so they don't any good top end power, either. Like I've said, you feel the acceleration in 1st through 3rd, after that you might as well get out and push.
    8.58 in 1/8th on factory tires, and less than 3k miles. FACTORY STOCK.

Arctic White, red/gray

They trap what any 240whp car would like i said, there are soo many way to keep the boost at peak boost all the way to redline. It tappers off in stock form but a modded sti or evo can easily keep it up. I totally agree that a stock ls1 car vs a stock sti or evo from a roll the ls1 would blow it away. But that doesnt mean it would happen the same way if both were bolt on cars putting out 330-340whp each. It would be a close race even from a roll.

Arctic White, red/gray

You guys crack me up....it was STOCK BOOST, no boost controller, NO TUNE. 290AWHP. Period. You guys just don't want to admit that these cars can make some really good power VERY easily...

I probably have the graph around here somewhere, maybe I'll post it. Doubt all you want.
    You may have very well put down 290whp on a dyno in a 05 sti with a CAI and CBE. But that doesnt mean its a real number, that dyno was NOT a mustang dyno and on dyno jets like i said EVOs and STIs put down 260-270whp. But they are many thing a tuner cna change on a dyno to make the numbers seem higher. First off a cat back exhaust and cold air intake on the ej25 engine does almost nothing unless your tuned for it, i know this because i have tuned many subies including my own legacy gt. I wish you had some dyno charts from when you were stock, because most 2.5 turbo subies will gain 10whp from the mods you had and no tuning. Which would mean you would make 280whp stock which is way high.

Im not some import hater, i have a supra, a honda crotch rocket and a subaru legacy gt(same long block as your 05 STI) that i own. So i know what the sti engine can and cant do, and buddy it cant make 290whp with a CAI and CBE unless tuned and or the dyno was adjusted to inflate numbers
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-23-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information