Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I guess that there are some CD HU's that don't work with the older changers. I now forget what years they were. I think it was 01 & 02. But, I could be wrong. I was paying more attention to what should work with mine I guess...

See, now if I knew someone who had one that worked and I could just hook it up to test my HU... that would be great.

But, like I said... I only paid $35 for it and got no guarantee. So, if it is the changer, it's not like I'm losing much.

It would be nice if I could get it working though

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I guess that there are some CD HU's that don't work with the older changers. I now forget what years they were. I think it was 01 & 02. But, I could be wrong. I was paying more attention to what should work with mine I guess...

See, now if I knew someone who had one that worked and I could just hook it up to test my HU... that would be great.

But, like I said... I only paid $35 for it and got no guarantee. So, if it is the changer, it's not like I'm losing much.

It would be nice if I could get it working though
    I have the older design CD player in my 02 SS that has the CD head unit,,,and it works great. Basically the same CD unit but the facing was changed a bit I think around the 2000 model year.

If you take your CD unit in to the dealer for a new one it's on an exchange basis, and you get a remain unit,,,all of those now come out with the new facing on them.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have the older design CD player in my 02 SS that has the CD head unit,,,and it works great. Basically the same CD unit but the facing was changed a bit I think around the 2000 model year.

If you take your CD unit in to the dealer for a new one it's on an exchange basis, and you get a remain unit,,,all of those now come out with the new facing on them.
    Yeah, I went back and it's some 98 and 99 models CD HU that won't work. But, who knows if that's true Just something I found while doing some research.

You think I can take it to the dealer and get an exchange? It's definitely not the model that would have come with my car.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer when I get a chance and see if it works for them though.

I appreciate your time and help

Yeah, I went back and it's some 98 and 99 models CD HU that won't work. But, who knows if that's true Just something I found while doing some research.

You think I can take it to the dealer and get an exchange? It's definitely not the model that would have come with my car.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer when I get a chance and see if it works for them though.

I appreciate your time and help
    Our first Fbody was a 97 with cassette head unit and CD changer. I have since moved that CD changer to my 2002 SS when the 97 was totalled. I have the head unit out of the 97 as well and is currently in my wifes 2000 SS along with another 12 disc changer out of a 1999 4th gen.
    As you can see I've done alot of swapping from year to year and everything was simple plug and play.

Last time I was at the dealer about the CD changers was about 6-8 months ago. At that time they were using a company out on the East Coast somewhere that was remanufacturing the CD changers, since GM sold all the rights and parts to this sole company.
    With that said all GM can do now is to take your old one in on trade,,,they send it to this company in exchange for a remain unit.

Now the remain units come with the newer style faceplates that is supposed to be correct for 2000-2002 model years. Probably not a big deal to some and since most faceplates are scratched to hell and back from throwing stuff in the back,,,it's probably a good thing.

In any event, the exchange isn't cheap. I forget the price but you would probably save alot of coin finding another CD changer (if you indeed need one) on ebay. I see them guaranteed on there all the time for $100-$150 or so.

Still digging for the books, as soon as we can find out how to extract the error code from the head unit it might give you an idea if it's something that can be a simple fix before spending more money on another unit.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That would be great. I'm in no hurry. Take your time.

As you can probably tell... I've never had a CD changer before. But, since the hook up was there, I figured why not?

If I can get this thing to work it would be a bonus. But, I'm not running out to get another anytime soon

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Heh, my CD changer is still sitting there... I wonder if I still have discs in it

It needs a cleaning, but I don't have the factory deck anymore, and I use the Pioneer Ipod connection instead.

I still always thought it was cool that it came with a 12-disc, when even new cars don't usually have something like that...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I use my ZUNE for the most part too. But, I do forget to bring it with me sometimes. I keep it hooked up to my surround sound to charge and sync with my laptop.

So, on those days having a few CD's in the car would come in handy. I have the cassette HU. But, refuse to have a bunch of cassettes in my car.

Yes... I still have a ton of cassettes that are probably older than a lot of people on this site

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Yeah, I use my ZUNE for the most part too. But, I do forget to bring it with me sometimes. I keep it hooked up to my surround sound to charge and sync with my laptop.

So, on those days having a few CD's in the car would come in handy. I have the cassette HU. But, refuse to have a bunch of cassettes in my car.

Yes... I still have a ton of cassettes that are probably older than a lot of people on this site
    Bust out the cassettes and wear the big hair, 80's stlye. Maybe some Scorpions.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Bust out the cassettes and wear the big hair, 80's stlye. Maybe some Scorpions.
    I've got them all on Cassette! I have tons and tons of cassettes. Everything Metal and then some. Just can't seem to give them away or my albums for that matter even though I replaced them all with CDs...

And, no more big hair for me

Funny thing though. I got in my car today and decided to push the play button on the steering wheel and '3 CD' came up on the HU??? Pressed it again and got the 'Err' code. Now it's back to doing nothing when I press the play or AUX button

Crazy

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

will the stock cd changer play mp3 cd's or cd's that are burnt from a computer?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I honestly don't know now that you mention it. I hope so because that is most likely what I would use. I have only put regular CD's in it.

black
    2002 WS6

The stock CD player won't play MP3 files most likely, as for ones burnt on computer, it should but it may be picky on colour IE the gold and silver coloured ones only.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Guess I'll have to wait until I get this thing working to find out

But, not playing the MP3 format sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    will the stock cd changer play mp3 cd's or cd's that are burnt from a computer?
    Yes it will play CD's that are burnt from the computer. I have probably 6 or 7 in each car that my wife burnt on the computer, and they work great,,,,just used a cheap CD pack that you can buy at the local store..

Sorry for the delay,,,I got busy the last couple of days and didn't even have time to get back on here. I'm making headway towards all the boxes though. Man this moving crap is for the birds

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I told you not to go out of your way. I appreciate your help and when ever is convenient for you is good for me

I'm not going anywhere and I'm not stressing on it.

Hope you get everything settled soon. Unpacking is the pitts...

I found the books last night. They list the codes as you have found but there is no special procedure to obstract them from the head unit.

It goes on to say the error code should automatically flash accross the screen once an error has been detected. If no code flashes with only error present then the problem is very minor from what I am gathering here.

Probably cleaning the head, or simply removing the disc pack and reinstalling, cycling the key or power.

Even moisture can affect it, high humidity in the air, or extreme cold temps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information