Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    For the last time guys GM derated the '98-02 Camaro & Firebird to protect the image of the more expensive Corvette, which had the same exact LS1 motor inside it as the F-bodies did. There were no alterations done to the Corvettes LS1 whatsoever. How could a car rated at 310hp be making around 300 or more at the wheels? That's common sense guys. In reality, the LS1 F-bodies put out an honest 340-350 horsepower at the fly.
    The difference between the Corvette rating and the Camaro/Firebird rating is due to the more restrictive exhaust on the F-body. This has been the case since 1967. Other than that the engines are identical.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Im not really sure if the LT1 is has more torque. I mean it sure as hell feels like that but I think its becasue of there throttle response. I mean it is an older motor and the cars get newer they dont have as good throttle response as older models.
    But I could be wrong.
    ls1 has more torque. but the lt1 makes it's peak torque at a lower rpm

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    What about the opti-spark? That's my primary reason for owning an LS1. If I could find a good, well kept LT1 T/A I would love to have a 6spd one to mod on and my LS1 is too expensive ROFL - no mo credit tho don't ya know.
    I have an F-body sitting outside with 145k miles on the original opti. Never even changed the cap & rotor, car runs fine. It just depends. Some people experience the horrors of opti-spark, but their bad reputation has been exaggerated to a certain extent. A factory Opti should last above 100k miles before needing maintenance. It's when people start short cutting and going with those low-budget knock-off brand opti's is when you can have issues. Stick with an OEM and make sure it is installed correctly and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The difference between the Corvette rating and the Camaro/Firebird rating is due to the more restrictive exhaust on the F-body. This has been the case since 1967. Other than that the engines are identical.
    Theoretically it seems that way, but put both cars on the dyno and they will pretty much average about the same numbers. Right around 300 rear-wheel, give or take for both the F-body and 'vette.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    ls1 has more torque. but the lt1 makes it's peak torque at a lower rpm
    Correct. In stock form an LT1 reaches max torque at just 2400 revs.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Thats true about he opti, ive had 5 camaro's 3 of which have been LT1's. Ive had one bad opti in my 95 Z with 80,000 miles, once replaced with OEM opti never had an issue. My 94 i have now has no issues either with the opti and that has 166,000 miles. I know that there are people with bad luck and have issues with them even if its OEM but thats a given.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

For the last time guys GM derated the '98-02 Camaro & Firebird to protect the image of the more expensive Corvette, which had the same exact LS1 motor inside it as the F-bodies did. There were no alterations done to the Corvettes LS1 whatsoever. How could a car rated at 310hp be making around 300 or more at the wheels? That's common sense guys. In reality, the LS1 F-bodies put out an honest 340-350 horsepower at the fly.

My 2000 TA with 80k with shorties, dual exhaust, SLP LM2s, K&N, cut out air box, and Predator made a whopping 281/283. Thats a far cry from 340-350. Even a far cry from 300 at the wheels.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post

My 2000 TA with 80k with shorties, dual exhaust, SLP LM2s, K&N, cut out air box, and Predator made a whopping 281/283. Thats a far cry from 340-350. Even a far cry from 300 at the wheels.
    sounds like somebody got a monday car..... or badly needs a good tune.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

281rwhp?? Damn! So what did you put down stock, 250?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

281rwhp?? Damn! So what did you put down stock, 250?
    The guy that dynoed it the first time said that they (LS1s) almost always dyno around 240-260ish stock. I dont think that he had much respect of the LS series motors. There was like 6 Mustangs being worked on in his shop and he seemed to talk them up quite a bit.

I didnt have it dynoed while it was stock. Of coarse the Shorties as I found out after I did my research were pretty crappy and worse than the stock manifolds so that prolly didnt help it any.

Had it dynoed since with the N2O tune in it with 10 degrees of timing out and put down 307/309. It was a mobile dyno jet so it prolly wasnt really accurate.

The guy that dynoed it the 2nd time said that he dynoed a LS2 06 GTO stock in Kansas City that only put down 302 on his dyno.
    www.fquick.com/xzaero0

SLP lid K&N Slp underdrive pulley Mizierre EWP 180 stat American Racing Coated longtubes 3" dual exhaust x pipe LM2s 2.5 over axle UMI SFCs LCA and relocation brackets UMI torque arm and relocation bracket Moser 9" 3.70 gears Tuned, LS6 intake Ported TB

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

The guy that dynoed it the first time said that they (LS1s) almost always dyno around 240-260ish stock. I dont think that he had much respect of the LS series motors. There was like 6 Mustangs being worked on in his shop and he seemed to talk them up quite a bit.

I didnt have it dynoed while it was stock. Of coarse the Shorties as I found out after I did my research were pretty crappy and worse than the stock manifolds so that prolly didnt help it any.

Had it dynoed since with the N2O tune in it with 10 degrees of timing out and put down 307/309. It was a mobile dyno jet so it prolly wasnt really accurate.

The guy that dynoed it the 2nd time said that he dynoed a LS2 06 GTO stock in Kansas City that only put down 302 on his dyno.
    Are these Mustang Dyno's were talking about here? If so then that explains the low numbers. Most of the LS2 Goats i've seen dyno are around the 340-360rwhp range.

Black
    1998 Z28

idk it would be a good race my dads got a 94z and i raced him in my 98 from a 30 roll he pulled 2 links by the time mine downshifted and i couldnt pull them back shut down about 120

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Stang Killer View Post
    idk it would be a good race my dads got a 94z and i raced him in my 98 from a 30 roll he pulled 2 links by the time mine downshifted and i couldnt pull them back shut down about 120
    What are your dads mods, as well as yours?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Are these Mustang Dyno's were talking about here? If so then that explains the low numbers. Most of the LS2 Goats i've seen dyno are around the 340-360rwhp range.
    My first dyno run was on a Mustang dyno.
    The 2nd was on a mobile dyno jet.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

My first dyno run was on a Mustang dyno.
    The 2nd was on a mobile dyno jet.
    lol he said they make 240-260? Hes a moron if he wasnt talking about a mustang dyno. With nothing wrong they should put 300rwhp easily.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    lol he said they make 240-260? Hes a moron if he wasnt talking about a mustang dyno. With nothing wrong they should put 300rwhp easily.
    He doesn't necessarily have to be a moron to say something like that. A problem with the motor can easily attain low dyno numbers. We had a intake/long-tube LS1 M6 come into our shop and put down under 300rwhp. After diagnosing an extreme rich mixture do to a bad 'rough' tune, which as a result ruined a pair of Random Technology catalytic converters, the car made close to 30rwhp more after the fix and a real tune using "HP".

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Just wanted to say real quick if you dont like the optispark in an LT1 then you should go with a direct coil over ignition or whatever its called. Much cheaper and better.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Lt1 ftw!

Black
    1998 Z28

What are your dads mods, as well as yours?
    Dads has flowmaster exh. Cold air intk. Foil tb. 160 thermostate, mti reprogrammed computer, mine had a lid at the time with flowmaster

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Stang Killer View Post
    Dads has flowmaster exh. Cold air intk. Foil tb. 160 thermostate, mti reprogrammed computer, mine had a lid at the time with flowmaster
    Sounds about right for a healthy running LT. Like I said before it doesn't take as much as people think to bridge the gap.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Well with my 94 having more mods then it shouldnt have any issues with atleast keeping up with my LS1. This weekend is pretty crappy here in L.A ill probably will do it next weekend, im holding off installing anything on the LS1 till i do this vid. I want it to be close to stock as possible, cant wait though my Hooker exhuast, cut out and 4.10's for my 01 are sitting in my room. After i install those plus some LT's and a tune ill do the race again compared to the same car and see what the outcome is.

On the above message 281rwhp is pretty low with those mods, im sure there is nothing wrong with the car other then maybe clogged cats and needing a better tune, what counts is as long as the car is running good and your happy with it then its all good.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well with my 94 having more mods then it shouldnt have any issues with atleast keeping up with my LS1. This weekend is pretty crappy here in L.A ill probably will do it next weekend, im holding off installing anything on the LS1 till i do this vid. I want it to be close to stock as possible, cant wait though my Hooker exhuast, cut out and 4.10's for my 01 are sitting in my room. After i install those plus some LT's and a tune ill do the race again compared to the same car and see what the outcome is.

On the above message 281rwhp is pretty low with those mods, im sure there is nothing wrong with the car other then maybe clogged cats and needing a better tune, what counts is as long as the car is running good and your happy with it then its all good.
    It didnt have cats and was still on the stock tune.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information