Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

6 point came by today

About 8am had a little 6 point come through. Came to within 25 yards but was too small to shoot. Camera phone so the pic isn't very good but you get the idea.

Last edited by 0rion; 10-02-2010 at 06:43 PM.

white
    2002 TT Camaro

around here you see a deer like that and BOOM, or whatever sound a Bow and arrow makes.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Darren P View Post
    around here you see a deer like that and BOOM, or whatever sound a Bow and arrow makes.
    I know thats right, south carolina also we have hunting land down their to, and we will get some big ones every once in a while.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

You got some pretty good shooting lanes, i would have of whacked him

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by Darren P View Post
    bow/arrow= Thwack

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    You got some pretty good shooting lanes, i would have of whacked him
    too small.....with only 1 buck tag he'd have to be a monster for me to shoot him the first time I sit in the stand.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Besides Ohio from what I understand has some really huge bucks,Orion most likely will see bigger ones.

Not to highjack your thread Orion but I am getting a complete bow setup with sights arrows and everything in trade for a set of tires I have. I dropped the tires off and messed with the bow a little and it draws smooth and it don't even hurt my shoulder. He is in the process of making more arrows for it and putting on a new string and setting that up for me. He also has a 3d target range on his property and a couple hundred acres to hunt. This time next year I should be good to go, I will be posting pics of ones that get passed up for bigger ones lol.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what bow it is? Get out and shoot it now. If you put a ton of time in you'd be able to hunt with it this year. Once you get the mechanics down it's cake from there on out.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what bow it is? Get out and shoot it now. If you put a ton of time in you'd be able to hunt with it this year. Once you get the mechanics down it's cake from there on out.
    I shoot mine year round, even from the back porch at critters that try me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I shoot mine year round, even from the back porch at critters that try me.
    last time I shot mine was last november I haven't got out to shoot this year and honestly I've been hunting with it and shooting it so long I don't need to. Every year I get it out and my first arrow is dead nuts. That's what happens when you shoot/hunt with a bow for 20 years I guess.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

didn't look or ask what it is, can't hunt with it this year because you are required to take a class and shoot your bow at a target to get a license,the same with shotgun,muzzleloader and rifle. in trapping you have to set up different types of traps. A bunch of NJ bs really. I figured by next yers i should have it down to be able to pass. I am also trying to overcome left eye dominance to shoot a right handed bow, so I will need the extra practice.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

last time I shot mine was last november I haven't got out to shoot this year and honestly I've been hunting with it and shooting it so long I don't need to. Every year I get it out and my first arrow is dead nuts. That's what happens when you shoot/hunt with a bow for 20 years I guess.
    Lets just say, your in your stand you see the buck of a life time it's 45 to 50yrs away do you feel confident shooting at that distance or no? Me on the other hand, i could nail it at that distance because i practice at that distance.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Lets just say, your in your stand you see the buck of a life time it's 45 to 50yrs away do you feel confident shooting at that distance or no? Me on the other hand, i could nail it at that distance because i practice at that distance.
    I would never consider a shot that far out really.....where I hunt it's so thick that you'd never get an arrow that far without clipping limbs. I did make a 30+ yard shot a couple years ago on an 8 point but even that was pushing it for where I hunt. He just happen to be in a little window out that far. My bow is also old as hell and doesn't carry the energy the new bows carry so it wouldn't even have balls out that far.

Look at that picture and that's ~25yards or so. Double that distance and look at what you're shooting through. That's probably the most open stand I have too.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Our does get bigger than that here!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    Our does get bigger than that here!
    so do ours....Ohio has some huge bucks in it. I hunt public land which gets a ton of pressure so they normally don't live long enough down there to put on a bunch of antler but there are a few mosters roaming around. I saw some really nice bucks last year in my back yard. I had 3 HUGE 8-10 pointers back there at one time last year in the pre-rut. An old lady lives a mile or so behind us and owns all the property around us. She's an animal lover and won't give permission to hunt or recover on her land so I have to wait until she kicks the bucket before I hunt these deer but as soon as she's gone I'll have a stand up behind the house.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

so do ours....Ohio has some huge bucks in it. I hunt public land which gets a ton of pressure so they normally don't live long enough down there to put on a bunch of antler but there are a few mosters roaming around. I saw some really nice bucks last year in my back yard. I had 3 HUGE 8-10 pointers back there at one time last year in the pre-rut. An old lady lives a mile or so behind us and owns all the property around us. She's an animal lover and won't give permission to hunt or recover on her land so I have to wait until she kicks the bucket before I hunt these deer but as soon as she's gone I'll have a stand up behind the house.
    Lol until you find out she left her land to someone in her will with the condition that noone can hunt on the land.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Lol until you find out she left her land to someone in her will with the condition that noone can hunt on the land.
    na, she's leaving it to the county parks dept. and my neighbor grew up with the guy that runs the parks dept. We already have permission to hunt it when she's gone.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Ok I asked it is an oregon, I never heard of them personally. but it draws really nice and has a nice let off where it don't bother my shoulder.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

An old lady lives a mile or so behind us and owns all the property around us. She's an animal lover and won't give permission to hunt or recover on her land so I have to wait until she kicks the bucket before I hunt these deer but as soon as she's gone I'll have a stand up behind the house.
    My mother -in-law is a vet and feels the same. Wont let me shoot deer on her land. Shes got 160 acres, Ive got permission on the 160 to her north.

She wanted me to shoot coyotes, but skin them and selld the hide. I told her they werent worth $3 ea to waste the time, and Id just toss the dead into the creek and let the snappers and catfish have a good dinner. She changed her mind.

I told her I wanted to shoot her turkeys with my Marlin 22lr and suppressor. (both highly illegal in KS) She said she'd think about it!

I guess it will never bother her, becuase she will never find out. But I did shot a big doe on her pond dam. Its about 75 yards from the neighbors fence.

45 to 50 years away? Orion is no spring chicken so i don't think he needs to worry about a buck 50 years from now.

Thread Information