Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2122232484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1145
    I didn't read all this, and frankly just noticed it today.

I've been using TCW-3 in everything since I had a long conversation with Sarge about 3 years ago or so. I put it in everything from the lawn mower to the daily drivers to the classic cars, even my diesel truck. Years before I would add MMO once in a while to the classic cars, and then used Lucas gas treatment for years for it's lubricity. But switched to TCW-3 oil a few years ago because it was so much cheaper ($11 a gallon and it treats about 600 gallons of gas at the 1 oz per 5 gallon mix ratio)

On the gas power cars I consistently get better MPG using TCW-3. My wifes 2000 SS camaro gets 22 mpg around town. If I go 2-3 tanks without using it it drops to 20.5 to maybe 21 mpg. Add TCW-3 at a ratio of 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas and it will imediately get 22+ mpg on that tank of fuel. So I use it all the time every time in all the cars and trucks. It does make starting easier, even one car I have that doesn't use a choke. Running it now in the little VW powered sandrail as well and it has really quieted down the valve train noise in it, and MPG jumped as well.

I don't notice any MPG change in the duramax at all, but any time you can add lubricity to the fuel it's a good thing for the fuel system and valve train. Diesel fuel lost it's lubricity when they switched over to that low sulfer crap. And we all know gasoline lost it's lubricity when they started taking the lead out in the early 1970's.
    Without the lead to lubricate valves and seats, the TCW-3 is a great alternative to use even if you aren't seeing MPG changes. It's ability to clean valves, injectors, and keep them clean is an added bonus.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Good to hear. I have been running it in our cars for the past few years. An easy way to de-carbon cylinders is to find a spray bottle that will put out a fine mist. With the engine running, you can gently spray water into the carb or throttle body. Don't overdo it, but you have to go long enough for it to have an effect. Have done this on older engines and had a friend who regularly did this on his Ford Fiesta years ago. It would start to ping and act up, but after the "spray treatment" things would be good for several weeks. Kind of similar to an engine that has a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. That cylinder will be really clean as compared to the others when you pull the head. Strange, I know... but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Good to hear. I have been running it in our cars for the past few years. An easy way to de-carbon cylinders is to find a spray bottle that will put out a fine mist. With the engine running, you can gently spray water into the carb or throttle body. Don't overdo it, but you have to go long enough for it to have an effect. Have done this on older engines and had a friend who regularly did this on his Ford Fiesta years ago. It would start to ping and act up, but after the "spray treatment" things would be good for several weeks. Kind of similar to an engine that has a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. That cylinder will be really clean as compared to the others when you pull the head. Strange, I know... but it works.
    Yep water works great and fast. And it's harmless so long as you don't go crazy. That's an old timer trick Another one was to trickle transmission fluid down the carb while running to clean everything.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think the saying goes, "Old Guys Rule"... that would be us FBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I think the saying goes, "Old Guys Rule"... that would be us FBJ.
    What would the prius generation do without us Jeff....

black
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

Hey Sarge. Do you think its ok to start using the stroke oil in my WS6 with Iso-heet fuel addiditve already in the tank? I want to get started now but I already put the iso-heet in about a week ago?

J.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sarge has been "off the air" for quite a while now, so I'll throw out an answer. I don't see a problem starting the TC-W3 regimen now -- I always run some dry gas through our cars when the cooler weather rolls in and have never had an issue with both in the tank at the same time.

Hi I am new here. I have been using 2 cycle jaso FD and have found that it make my small 13 year old air cooled motorcycle run and rev smoother but when I use twc3 Pennzoil XLF Synthetic Blend it gets visibly rougher. To start with my bike run rough but the twc3 doesnt seem to help at all and this is funny since jaso fd helps significantly. I have tried ratio of 640, increased to 550 and 500 and it is still not helping. Should I increase the dosage?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Try the cheap dino style TCW3 from Walmart. The recommended dosage is 1 ounce per 5 gallons of fuel.

I am not in the US and we do not have walmart here. I have a quart of mobil 2t which is jaso fd and a gallon of pennzoil twc3, according to the 1oz to 5 gallons, that is a ratio of 1:640, I am now adding 1.25oz to 5 gallons ( and that is 1:500) without any improvements. Any idea why because the mobil 2t does indeed make it smoother? Should I add more because I really do not see why this TWC3 would not work.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No idea. I run it in all of our cars and have had good results. I also run it in our lawn equipment and generator and have had zero issues. Since using the TCW3, the generator will now start on the first pull... something it never did before.

I'll second Jeff's results. I also use the cheap dino TCW3 (about $11 for a gallon) and have used it for about 2 or 3 years now including my lawn equipment, and as Jeff mentioned, the lawn equipment starts easier than it ever has. I also see a very slight MPG increase in the cars if used regularly on every fillup. Also been using it in my diesel regularly but haven't noticed any change in that (I'm probably not mixing strong enough for that) but I still feel it's a good thing to have a little lubricity in the fuel system, can't hurt.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

what is this TCW3 you guys are speaking of...? Treat me like an idiot because I have no clue what you are talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by stonez View Post
    I am not in the US and we do not have walmart here. I have a quart of mobil 2t which is jaso fd and a gallon of pennzoil twc3, according to the 1oz to 5 gallons, that is a ratio of 1:640, I am now adding 1.25oz to 5 gallons ( and that is 1:500) without any improvements. Any idea why because the mobil 2t does indeed make it smoother? Should I add more because I really do not see why this TWC3 would not work.
    Despite everybody here uses TCW3 I agree with you, jaso is far better, I switched from tcw3 to jaso 2 years ago.

The car goes much better consume less and has more power.

I live in Canada here is extreme cold weather the car at cold start with tcw3 I had to warm up at least 2 minutes otherwise would have stalled.

With jaso no problem at all, I'm using Iterceptor AMSOIL at ratio 800:1 summer 700:1 winter.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

It's marine two cycle oil. Look for the big blue gallon jug at Wally World for $12. Theory goes it add some lubricant to the fuel pump and the upper cylinder areas as well as some detergents. I've used it since 2012 in my T/A. Gonna throw it in my yard tool gas now as some of these tools are having a little difficulty starting.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by eteller View Post
    It's marine two cycle oil. Look for the big blue gallon jug at Wally World for $12. Theory goes it add some lubricant to the fuel pump and the upper cylinder areas as well as some detergents. I've used it since 2012 in my T/A. Gonna throw it in my yard tool gas now as some of these tools are having a little difficulty starting.
    thats what I was thinking you were referring to...because when I looked it up it showed up as marine oil lol just wanted to make sure...so how much are you guys adding? like a cap full or something?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Mehpy, haven't heard of Jaso, I'll have to look around and see if that's available around here and compare prices. I haven't experienced the cold starting issue that you report with TCW3, and we get down in the teens (F) here at night during the winter. Some of the cars I drive are carburated and still no cold start issues. I stick with a 1oz per 5 gallon of gas ratio and never change it.

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    thats what I was thinking you were referring to...because when I looked it up it showed up as marine oil lol just wanted to make sure...so how much are you guys adding? like a cap full or something?
    For any gas engine, stick with 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas. At that mix ratio that 1 gallon jug treats about 600 gallons of gas. Not bad for $11. A lot cheaper than buying those $7 bottles of fuel additive that treats one tank.

The only other good stuff out there that isn't harsh on the fuel system or the engine and still provides lubricity is the lucas oil fuel treatment. It's more forgiving with it's mix ratio (overdoing it doesn't cause a problem), however it's much more expensive. Sarge got me onto the TCW3 stuff about 3 years ago and I've been hooked since. Much cheaper, however you'll have to measure it and be fairly precise which can get a little tedious at times. I've gotten used to it, and carry it with me. I use one of the small lucas oil bottles that I have marked off in 1 ounce increments and just fill that bottle when I need it.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Mehpy, haven't heard of Jaso, I'll have to look around and see if that's available around here and compare prices. I haven't experienced the cold starting issue that you report with TCW3, and we get down in the teens (F) here at night during the winter. Some of the cars I drive are carburated and still no cold start issues. I stick with a 1oz per 5 gallon of gas ratio and never change it.
    so are you guys using it for lubrication purposes only? Seems like a good idea...I would assume it would soak into bearings and lubricate things a little better?

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

There was a thread on this on bobistheoilguy.com a while back. I recall some were playing around with the ratio and found a little more than 1oz. per 5gal is ideal, anymore and fuel economy started to take a hit. I add 3 1/2 oz. per fill up on the T/A. I tank up and add the oil when I get home, that crap is messy and tends to creep.

Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2122232484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread Information