Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is true, I only lost 2 mpg around town (from 22 to 20) with a 3400 stall. But it locks at 38 mph at light throttle, and still gets the same 26 mpg highway.

And who is really that concerned with gas mileage anyway?? If that's what I truely wanted I'd buy a chevette. On the same token 30 mpg from my wifes 6 speed camaro isn't bad for what it is, and more than enough as far as I'm concerned. Funny though I choose to drive classic vehicles daily that get 12 mpg and leave the camaros sit in the garage
    Hey, 2mpg is 2 mpg. For someone who DD's thier car, 2mpgs is important.

And I hear the same thing on jst aobut any enthusiast board, no matter what the car....I wouldn't have bought a ________ if I were concerned with mileage.

Yeah, if I were completely concerned with mileage I would have bought a 4 banger, but as far as my car goes, I certainly don't want the mileage any worse than what it is now. If it's a difference of averaging 23mpg vs 19 or 20, yeah, I'll take the 23mpg. I drive it 300+ miles a week, so that few mpg adds up quick.

If it were just a weekend toy, then no, I wouldn't be concerned.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks to havoing a good local tuner I still get ok mileage with a A4 with 3.73's of course mine had the factory 3.23 upgrade and no useless TCS. So the mileage difference wasn't huge but the difference in launch is. I took out a 2010 Camaro SS 6spd from 50 to 130 roll 3 out of 4. The last race I didn't hear the horn and he jumped me and we hit traffic before I could reel him in. Also what is up with those Nismo 370Z's fancy body kit, nice factory exhaust, and smooth 6spd, I smoked it but I have to admit if Nissan would have put a turbo on it what a fun ride. Love my TA's but they sure did a better job making that 6spd shift slick and smooth. Much better than any F Body's even with aftermarket shifters. I wan't that 6spd setup in aSOM Hawk and I'm in love. Even kinda like the paddle shifted 6spd auto LS3 vette's had a hertz rental, that was fun.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    M6 is a blast to drive although you cant outshift a computer...
    J
    With the right stall it will be hard to beat you out of a dig. Autos rule the strip!

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

sounds like the m6 wins over the auto if you plan on keeping them stock. *but again it all goes back to the desires/expectations of the owner.
    if you plan on spending money on the tranny, it's up to you whether u want to buy a stall, or save for a new clutch/rebuild on the m6.
    The stock auto will be nicer to the rear end, the m6 not so much. But if either are modded definitely plan on replacing the rear end when the time comes.

It all depends on you, some people like to point to numbers to justify their car.
    Some people judge their cars by the 'seat of the pants' feel.
    Some people like to 'point and steer' (just quoting)
    Some people like to use their left foot and grab gears when they want them.

I autoX my m6 occasionally and other than that its a weekend car for me. So i demand stick.

If your heart wants a manual, by all means go get it or be disappointed. There is a reason my 79 t/a sits in the garage more often than not...(it's just not as fun as a manual)

I say, just buy a cheap POS daily driver first, and keep saving to by an M6 for a weekender.
    Last edited by goof4080; 05-28-2010 at 12:16 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

And I hear the same thing on jst aobut any enthusiast board, no matter what the car....I wouldn't have bought a ________ if I were concerned with mileage.

Yeah, if I were completely concerned with mileage I would have bought a 4 banger, but as far as my car goes, I certainly don't want the mileage any worse than what it is now. If it's a difference of averaging 23mpg vs 19 or 20, yeah, I'll take the 23mpg. I drive it 300+ miles a week, so that few mpg adds up quick.

if you are that concerned with 2 mpg then dont ever mod your car .....power/speed and mpg dont go together period

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    sounds like the m6 wins over the auto if you plan on keeping them stock. *but again it all goes back to the desires/expectations of the owner.
    if you plan on spending money on the tranny, it's up to you whether u want to buy a stall, or save for a new clutch/rebuild on the m6.
    The stock auto will be nicer to the rear end, the m6 not so much. But if either are modded definitely plan on replacing the rear end when the time comes.

It all depends on you, some people like to point to numbers to justify their car.
    Some people judge their cars by the 'seat of the pants' feel.
    Some people like to 'point and steer' (just quoting)
    Some people like to use their left foot and grab gears when they want them.

I autoX my m6 occasionally and other than that its a weekend car for me. So i demand stick.

If your heart wants a manual, by all means go get it or be disappointed. There is a reason my 79 t/a sits in the garage more often than not...(it's just not as fun as a manual)

I say, just buy a cheap POS daily driver first, and keep saving to by an M6 for a weekender.
    true

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I just read through 90% of this thread and it seems like the Auto guys started with the harsh words first. Never seen one of these threads make it without becoming a fight
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    How you used to get it done. Old VHS tapes of you racing mean you can't do it any longer. I, personally, am not that old yet. Wait. If I dug around long enough, I could find some VHS tapes of me in my '67 400 Firebird, at an SCCA solo event. Ran that bitch open headers, too, and they wouldn't let me do that again.
    I'm not that old yet. I was still racing UMTR competitively up until 2007 when I moved out west (They don't have that sort of thing out here). I still drive stick cars on the street, and do a little fun test and tune racing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I just read through 90% of this thread and it seems like the Auto guys started with the harsh words first. Never seen one of these threads make it without becoming a fight
    I don't see it that way. Been a pretty decent discussion if you ask me.
    I own both versions of a 4th gen and like them equally well. I'm not really bias either way. Unfortunately there are people who are. But what I see from most on this site are people that love on sticks and hate on autos more than anything.
    Who cares?? Probably only the sensative types, we have alot of those on this site too

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I don't see it that way. Been a pretty decent discussion if you ask me.
    I own both versions of a 4th gen and like them equally well. I'm not really bias either way. Unfortunately there are people who are. But what I see from most on this site are people that love on sticks and hate on autos more than anything.
    Who cares?? Probably only the sensative types, we have alot of those on this site too
    I agree about it being decent for a while but some stupid comments where thrown out there (Not from you) If I had to throw my.02, reading my sig would show I'm bias! Not to the point of being a asshole or A4 hater, just have my own preferences is all

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    There is a reason my 79 t/a sits in the garage more often than not...(it's just not as fun as a manual)

I don't quite understand that one. I prefer to drive my classics more often over the 4th gens, doesn't matter which transmission they have, that's not what the classics are about to me.

That's kinda like saying, I leave my 2002 SS camaro in the garage because it's an auto, I'd rather drive my 79 chevette because it's a manual,,,,,just sayin' lol

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I don't quite understand that one. I prefer to drive my classics more often over the 4th gens, doesn't matter which transmission they have, that's not what the classics are about to me.
    I would prolly drive my classic less also due to keep the value up by keeping miles off. I don't own a classic tho

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

When is enough enough?? You say you average 23 verses 19-20, you'll take the 23??? What if you averaged 25,,,,or 27,,,,,would you take that too?? I've never put emphasis on gas mileage, and refuse to let gas mileage dictate which car we purchase. Although I do get a certain satisfaction fine tuning a car and seeing the MPG increase with changes, but what it ends up being,,,well,,,, it is what it is.
    Obviously anyone would hate to see worse MPG after being accustomed to a certain amount for a period of time. And maybe that's where the difference is between you and I. I've been driving classics for 30+ years, right through the $4 a gallon hike and all. I'm so used to 10-12 mpg that it doesn't really bother me. Ya it's nice to jump in a 4th gen and get 20+ mpg. Honestly though, they do alot of sitting in the garage, as we choose to drive 12 mpg cars everyday.
    The difference in transmissions on the 4th gens do play a small roll. My auto gets 26 and my wifes 6 speed gets 30. Both modded nearly identical. But I don't really care which one we drive. I'm so used to 12mpg that anything even in the mid teens would be an improvement

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    if you are that concerned with 2 mpg then dont ever mod your car .....power/speed and mpg dont go together period

I agree, and don't understand the whole MPG thing either. In my opinion, if that's such a concern then people are probably buying the wrong car.
    I prefer to drive nothing but a V8 with enough butt to pass cars while going uphill. If I can't do that I don't want it. Don't care if it got 40 mpg.
    Different people with different needs or wants, it's all good.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

^ I think what he means is that its awesome to have a V8 High performance car get 25+ mpg and IHO (In his opinion) modding to lose that mpg isn't for him like it is for some of us. When I did all my mods, I knew I would lose about 3-4mpg but didn't care because of the rush. While I can't comment on your classics getting 12mpg, I can top you. After my H/C, I was running so rich I was getting 9mpg for a bit

I would prolly drive my classic less also due to keep the value up by keeping miles off. I don't own a classic tho
    Well ya there is that too. I have a couple that I prefer to keep the mileage acceptable on. But there are others I love to drive the wheels off of, and wouldn't have it any other way.
    My biggest worry anymore are the other idiots on the roadways that tear your stuff up for you,,,,know what I mean??? Just for that reason I probably should be driving the 4th gens more, they are still replaceable at the moment for not much money.

^ I think what he means is that its awesome to have a V8 High performance car get 25+ mpg and IHO (In his opinion) modding to lose that mpg isn't for him like it is for some of us. When I did all my mods, I knew I would lose about 3-4mpg but didn't care because of the rush. While I can't comment on your classics getting 12mpg, I can top you. After my H/C, I was running so rich I was getting 9mpg for a bit
    Ah maybe you are right. I agree, having a car that can run 12's (or even 13's for that matter) and still get 25+ mpg is pretty sweet.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well ya there is that too. I have a couple that I prefer to keep the mileage acceptable on. But there are others I love to drive the wheels off of, and wouldn't have it any other way.
    My biggest worry anymore are the other idiots on the roadways that tear your stuff up for you,,,,know what I mean??? Just for that reason I probably should be driving the 4th gens more, they are still replaceable at the moment for not much money.
    Could not agree with you more A buddy always gives me shit for how many miles I have on my SS (77,XXX) I always tell him the same thing, "I bought the car to have fun and drive, not to look at!!"

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Also what is up with those Nismo 370Z's fancy body kit, nice factory exhaust, and smooth 6spd, I smoked it but I have to admit if Nissan would have put a turbo on it what a fun ride. Love my TA's but they sure did a better job making that 6spd shift slick and smooth. Much better than any F Body's even with aftermarket shifters.
    That's always been another pet pieve of mine with these T56's in the 4th gens and probably something worth mentioning.
    I've had a few 4th gens with 6 speeds and none of them were ever all that smooth, even the one we bought brand new. They have always been a bit notchy. And seemed to get that affect even worse with an aftermarket shifter. I've never been completely comfortable with them and how they shift in stock form. I drive cars with muncie's that shift like butter and practically fall into gear, then jump in our 4th gen with that 6 speed and it's like,,,,OMG!!! How could I ever race this thing
    It could be improved with some internal mods and a slick clutch setup, but that's more money too.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

That's always been another pet pieve of mine with these T56's in the 4th gens and probably something worth mentioning.
    I've had a few 4th gens with 6 speeds and none of them were ever all that smooth, even the one we bought brand new. They have always been a bit notchy. And seemed to get that affect even worse with an aftermarket shifter. I've never been completely comfortable with them and how they shift in stock form. I drive cars with muncie's that shift like butter and practically fall into gear, then jump in our 4th gen with that 6 speed and it's like,,,,OMG!!! How could I ever race this thing
    It could be improved with some internal mods and a slick clutch setup, but that's more money too.
    I will agree, the shifts are notchy. I kinda like it, kinda hate it. Glad I didn't buy the 93 40th Ann Vette back in the day. That was the notchiest (spell? ) thing I ever shifted. I'm still on stock Hurst shifter, wanna go Pro 5.0 soon

I will agree, the shifts are notchy. I kinda like it, kinda hate it. Glad I didn't buy the 93 40th Ann Vette back in the day. That was the notchiest (spell? ) thing I ever shifted. I'm still on stock Hurst shifter, wanna go Pro 5.0 soon
    I went back to the stock (optional or factory) hurst shifter. I had the billet plus aftermarket Hurst shifter for a while, but my wife didn't like it, and it got real notchy with that.
    I drove a few with the pro 5.0 shifter, and thought that it might be better, but I can't be sure. And the ultimate decision would go to the wife. So I just play it safe and leave it be rather than spend $200+ on another shifter only to maybe pull it back out too

I can do well enough at the track with the factory hurst though. I found the biggest improvement in the transmission was an adjustable master cylinder, but it's still not how I would prefer it to shift.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information