Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Yes they make good torque but that's about it, no revs. My 60* dohc walks away from stock 3800's and it's a much older design too. 3800 gets me just off the line but never gets beyond 1/2 car ahead. When I get up around 7000rpm it's all 3400 from there. But then again my 3.4 dohc aint stock either.

PS. I've walked my share of stock v8's too. I'm not saying it's the fastest thing out there but it aint slow either. Besides when I'm running my duel twin cam I'm usually looking for ricers. She especially loves fart can modifieds! 265whp and 7500 rev limit. SEE YA! LOL
    I had a LQ1 before the L67. Mine never went past 6400 didn't matter as it would grenade diffs anytime ya farted. The GTP shifts 300 rpm less. Cam swap and it'd be about the same. 3800s don't eat alternators and intake gaskets anywhere near what a 60* does. Don't get me I loved my LQ1 in its uniqueness and it being a better body style. Having a 94 sucked as there was nobody that could make a chip for it and on top of there not really being an aftermarket for it period. DOHC L26 would be tits though
    Last edited by GTP231; 03-15-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    The ones I build
    Anything makes torque with boost and or spray though

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I had a LQ1 before the L67. Mine never went past 6400 didn't matter as it would grenade diffs anytime ya farted. The GTP shifts 300 rpm less. Cam swap and it'd be about the same. 3800s don't eat alternators and intake gaskets anywhere near what a 60* does. Don't get me I loved my LQ1 in its uniqueness and it being a better body style. Having a 94 sucked as there was nobody that could make a chip for it and on top of there not really being an aftermarket for it period. DOHC L26 would be tits though

SBC alternators are the same as the one I have on MY 660 :P

LIM gaskets are a thing of the past as well....

Nobody said I can't have boost

Hoping the Corsica will be in the 11's this season....

I promise I will be posting dyno #'s soon for the 3.4/3500 11.5:1 SCR Camaro

Gray/ White

SBC alternators are the same as the one I have on MY 660 :P

LIM gaskets are a thing of the past as well....

Nobody said I can't have boost

Hoping the Corsica will be in the 11's this season....

I promise I will be posting dyno #'s soon for the 3.4/3500 11.5:1 SCR Camaro
    They finally get the Aluminum gaskets for the 60*? About time they finally got a fix for those things.
    Never said you were cheating iwth boost. Boost is a very fun thing to have
    660?

Gray/ White

Since when did any LQ1 come with forged internals? When I had mine I was fucked for having a 94 since Ben couldn't tune them back then. Not sure if he stall can't. I did see that Tuner Cats has recently come out with software for them though. I got rid of it in 04 with a list of problems. Far as alternators and Intake gaskets go you got a fluke car then.
    Why spin an engine to 7 to make anypower when you can spin it to 6400 at most instead? Bearings tend to be happier that way

Gray/ White

Every 3800 has at least one forged piece in them. All roller cams are forged. Though there are some rumored to have came factory with forged pistons.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Forged internals are: Crankshaft and conecting rods. All 3.4L 60* engines have these. Even the single camers. Mine is tuned to turn that high. It only goes there if I'm really on it. You can look it up as far as what's forged and what's not. The original prototype dtc 60* v6 had 265hp. Problem was GM did'nt have a trany that would take it. So with some research I was able to look at the overall design and recreate the prototype then just added some custom goodies, and all of the limited after market addons. Bottom line with the dtc 60* v6 is, YES, there was trouble with the motors in verious areas. However in later years the technology caught up with it and with some time and $$$, they can be made to be very reliable. Mine is the 92' model. Don't have all of the electronics that were later added to the dtc. Mine is one of the few remaining multi port motors not the sequential injection. No mass sensor on mine, just air temp. All so only has a single cam sensor and single O2 sensor. Newer models have two of each. In 1996 (I believe) is when GM added a little more HP to the dtc to get it into the 215hp range. This put into direct conflict with the "buick" type all iron 90*3.8L so revs were reworked to stay lower, (but still higherthen 3.8), and speed limiters placed a roughly 110mph limit on all fwd cars with the LQ1. The newer dtc 3.4l could out excellerate the 3.8 from dead stop. But the limiters made it "turn off" while the 3.8 would still be accellerating. As I said earlier the stock 3.8 can pull me to about half a car. But that is due to me changeing where I build my power. There's no 3.8 stock that out run me out there except for the SC 3.8's. I've have walked a few v8s too. They're an engine that is often over looked due to the "horror" stories. I find that if I keep up with it and not neglect it, as well as keep an "ear to the ground" so to speak to keep up with engine tech it's been very reliable. Most people I think steer clear of modding it because of most of what needs done to build power has to be custom due to the limited after market. For me, custom is right up my alley.
    I agree if one does'nt have the time or resources, then the DTC 60*v6 is not for them. I like it because they are different and almost "no one" has a modded one. I enjoy the chalenge it represents. As long as I can still get it as a crate package I will probably be there seein' what I can do next to the little powerhouse.

ya know what i say?.........................

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Time for a blower!!!!!!

i bet you thought i was gunna say LS1

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Nah, twin screw for me....LOL

Your avatar kills me everytime I see it LOL
    ya me too
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 03-19-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Oh yeah by the way I did think "blower" at first too. But I wanted two. I dont know if thats possible though and I've never heard of it either. Did'nt research it too much so I dont have a clue.
    ya but it would be awsome

Gray/ White

Hey GTP231, is your 3.8 drive by wire? Mine dont have throttle cables. I was just wonderin'
    Grand Prixs got fly by wire in 04.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

I can guaranty the crank and pistons were NOT forged.

GM only had one production hyper piston in a 660 (60 degree v6), and that was the McLaren Grand Prix 3.1. The cranks were all 189 castings from the 3.1, 3.4, 3400, 3100, and TDC's. The 189 crank is nodular iron. The 3500 came out with the forged crank and powder forged rods with snapped caps. The rods have always been forged in the 660.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

As for the intake mani gaskets, there was only a few years that had a lot of problems, it's a thing of the past. Felpro makes metal/rubber gaskets for the LIM's, and the 2000 and up motors have Viton/plastic LIM and metal/rubber uppers.

Gray/ White

As for the intake mani gaskets, there was only a few years that had a lot of problems, it's a thing of the past. Felpro makes metal/rubber gaskets for the LIM's, and the 2000 and up motors have Viton/plastic LIM and metal/rubber uppers.
    I've seen plenty of 2000+s leak as well. Dex cool is a mother fucker plan and simple.
    Vortecs and 3800s have the same lower and are known for leaking.

Thread Information