Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    They are only disappointed cuz they realize they will lose.
    hahaha, i agree...its funny how nobody will hate on a manual, but sum people are like "but its just an auto"...if i remember correctly, the new camaro's have 6 speeds in both the auto and manual, and the quarter mile time for the auto was a little bit faster...but like some people have said, its all a matter what your preference is, and what your going to be doing with your car...both trannys have there good and bad points...

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Why is my A4 fun ???

Click for full size[/thumb]
    hell yeah! i wish my car did that, haha...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Click for full size

That is way cool! What is your gear ratio?

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question How much HP did it take?

How much HP did it take to do that, along with slicks for traction.

With street tires does the traction control on help or hurt ET's? (on a stock or stockish car)

Also what transmission modifications were done to not break that A4?

I am only considering a few bolt on parts for now, but when the automatic breaks I want to replace it with a unit that will be stronger that stock and last longer. My idea is to have it good up to 500Hp so that I will have more than enough strength to handle the 375-400 my car will have, I am hoping that will translate in to more longevity.

That is the main thing I am going to be saving up for to repair when it needs it.
    Though if something else breaks first I will have money for that too.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The transmission is the original 98, with a beast clutch basket and a good rebuild. Mostly tuning with HP tuners software. Still the stock drive shaft and 4.10 gears in a moser rear. ( 150 dry shot ) 4600 stall and a lot of suspension mods !
    P.S. It is FUN !!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Any suggestions for my use?

As I mentioned my aspirations are not as high as yours. I would be happy with a car that ran low to mid 12's. I was thinking of the monster transmission when the stock one breaks, although another member has had bad luck with them and showed some ugly photos. Any other suggestions for getting a best bang for the buck tranny for the 375-400 Hp car? I dont have any trusted transmission source to do the rebuild so I was thinking of an already rebuilt one that could be swapped out.

Thanks,
    T

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you put a 3600 or higher stall in the 4l60e, you must install the HD clutch basket. That's the weak link ! I blew a rear a few years ago, & it broke the sprag in the transmission, but it was a cheaper rebuild that time. I average 1.34 - 1.40 / 60's with it & can't complain !

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Is there a particular shop

Is there a particular transmission rebuild shop that can do the appropriate mods similar to my idea of buying monster transmissions rebuilt A4? I have a mechanic that I trust, just no transmission shops, and when I previously called around they were quoting really expensive money for a stock rebuild. The Monster Transmission is 1700.00 with what is supposed to include all the mods to take 500Hp and comes with a guarantee. If I could find a good deal on a transmission I could have my mechanic install it for me.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Auto=daily driver,track star. Manual= fun car, weekend car, autocross car. Seems to be the concensus.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Auto=daily driver,track star. Manual= fun car, weekend car, autocross car. Seems to be the concensus.
    Agree, but I must say that my local tuning shop EFI Alchemy has really made my A4 much more fun with some excellent performance tuning, but tuning and a stall converter is indeed no substitute for the direct control of M6.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    hahaha, i agree...its funny how nobody will hate on a manual, but sum people are like "but its just an auto"...if i remember correctly, the new camaro's have 6 speeds in both the auto and manual, and the quarter mile time for the auto was a little bit faster...but like some people have said, its all a matter what your preference is, and what your going to be doing with your car...both trannys have there good and bad points...
    actually the fastest stock record for a new camaro is a manual-- 12.58. 2-3 tenths faster than the best l99 auto time.

the fastest time for a stock fbody was also a manual.

manuals stock for stock are faster. they have better gear ratios, and better launching. they just have to be driven properly.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    Is there a particular transmission rebuild shop that can do the appropriate mods similar to my idea of buying monster transmissions rebuilt A4? I have a mechanic that I trust, just no transmission shops, and when I previously called around they were quoting really expensive money for a stock rebuild. The Monster Transmission is 1700.00 with what is supposed to include all the mods to take 500Hp and comes with a guarantee. If I could find a good deal on a transmission I could have my mechanic install it for me.

Performabuilt is one of the best.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

If you want a M6 get a M6. Don't get an auto and be thinking "what if"... I know i messed up when i got my second camaro and just wanted a v8. true it was a v8 but it was boring as hell cause it was an auto... now i have a m6 ws6 and I LOVE IT!!

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by natews6 View Post
    If you want a M6 get a M6. Don't get an auto and be thinking "what if"... I know i messed up when i got my second camaro and just wanted a v8. true it was a v8 but it was boring as hell cause it was an auto... now i have a m6 ws6 and I LOVE IT!!
    word--- it's just more fun whan you're cruising.

but in a drag car an auto is more consistant and in the end, faster.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    actually the fastest stock record for a new camaro is a manual-- 12.58. 2-3 tenths faster than the best l99 auto time.

the fastest time for a stock fbody was also a manual.

manuals stock for stock are faster. they have better gear ratios, and better launching. they just have to be driven properly.
    And that's what I think people don't grasp. If you want to see real stick cars with real people driving them the way they should be driven, then you need to watch UMTR, or NHRA stock and super stock racing where there are still a few stick cars running competetively. I ran UMTR for a few years, and was like a kid in a candy store. High rpm clutch dumps and screaming V8's banging gears should be required listening for every kid growing up. When done properly it's music.

On the street 99% of the stick cars you come accross are not going to be driven to their potential. Even on a test and tune night you'll find a couple dozen stick cars granny shifted going down track. People think stick cars are the best thing out there, until you watch some of them drive, then you realize why automatics were invented

Here is some UMTR footage. This is the pro class, but you get the idea. They also have street stick, quick stick, well you get the idea.

Just for the record, that second solo pass made by the 63 impala, it's just a little 327

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTKHpCDioU[/ame]

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    IMO it sounds as if you are "settling" for an auto by your very own words. Every post you've made has resorted to not getting a M6 because you have yet to find one.

With that said, you will regret not getting a M6 if you buy the auto IMO.

However, like said from other members, if you do get the auto and you stall it, you're going to be one happy camper. I personally like driving my M6 and even taking it to the track is a lot of fun.

The T56 seems to be a little bit more robust of a transmission also.

Either way, these cars are a lot of fun to drive. Good luck with your hunt.
    i "settled" for an auto when i was dead set on a manuel, and tried to convert mine to a 6speed. but after owning my auto for a few years i am greatful i "settled" for my auto although i will admit, for just driving around on a sunny day with a pretty girl in the passenger seat. a manuel can be tons for fun(but for everything else....auto)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't see why people are comparing an auto with a higher stall to a stock M6....

An auto with a larger stall is no longer stock.

If we are comparing "stock" versus "stock". A M6 will win.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't see why people are comparing an auto with a higher stall to a stock M6....

An auto with a larger stall is no longer stock.

If we are comparing "stock" versus "stock". A M6 will win.
    it is because for everything a person doesnt like about a slushbox...a stall and a tune will fix it .......... and many times completely change their opinion

i know with tmy 4l60e when i got a tune ...i fell right back in love with my car...it used to chirp 2nd (DRs now) it hits soo hard and can get up and move.

most of the people truely bitching about the 4l60e not being fun are 1. completely stock
    and or
    2. running those shit 2.72 gears

i run the 3.23 gears and she is a blast ..and now my next purchase is a stall.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

there is still that misconception that autos (slushboxes) are these piss poor performing transmissions ...which isnt the case anymore...so they go into the argument or buying a car already thinking the auto is not a performer ....takes owning one and getting it to its full potential

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information