Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I will take my 12 guage with 8 .380 size balls moving at 1300fps from each pull of the trigger. Not to mention you better know what and who is behind your target. Shotguns balls have a better chance of not going through walls and hurting your family in other rooms.

A .22lr will kill someone no doubt. But to argue that its a better close quarters round than the hundreds of different kind of shots you can load a 12 guage with is crazy talk.

Personally I think a shotgun is the first long gun anyone should get. With a .22lr being close second. A shotgun can be used to hunt anything from small game to birds, to turkey/goose to deer. Trap shooting, skeet, sporting clays target. You can put a slug barrel in and hit a single target from 200-300 yards away. You can put put a pen tip size hole in a chipmunk or a fist size hole in a mans chest. I have a single shot 20 guage waiting for my children when they get a bit bigger.
    +1 With the exception of the hitting things at 300 yd, the 1 oz slugs I used to deer hunt with start dropping real fast after about 175-200. I'm sure you could get one out to 300 but the adjustment would be pretty big IMO. that being said I know my brother started using either 285 or 300 grain slugs in his last year but I have no experience with them yet

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

oh and I will be grabbing my 45 auto with hollow points before anything else as it would be the easiest to move with in my home, if the house was a little more open I would go for the 12ga

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I usually grab the .40 with ranger hollow points or .44magnum with hornady hollow points with nylon tips or 12 guage. Or the 300 win mag if I want to take a look out the window and view the entire property.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

A .22lr will kill someone no doubt. But to argue that its a better close quarters round than the hundreds of different kind of shots you can load a 12 guage with is crazy talk.
    i don't think anybody is arguing that a 22lr is better than a 12ga in close quarters other than the sound. the thought of shooting my 12ga in the house scares the shit out of me. yeah, i will live but won't ever hear shit again. shit, me AND the poor dog would be def! lol

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    i don't think anybody is arguing that a 22lr is better than a 12ga in close quarters other than the sound. the thought of shooting my 12ga in the house scares the shit out of me. yeah, i will live but won't ever hear shit again. shit, me AND the poor dog would be def! lol
    No doubt its going to be loud but I've fired mine in a small closed up barn at a raccoon and still have most of my hearing haha

Arctic White, red/gray

Really a 12 guage in the house is as a .44 mag outdoors. I have shot .45 long colts which are as loud as a shot gun in my dads house. My grandma didnt even hear us up stairs and she is old but she can hear pretty well.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-04-2011 at 12:22 PM.

red
    2000 Z28

If hearing loss is higher on the list than terminal performance,invest in a good pair of electronic muffs, and train break in situations with your muffs and your pistol/rifle/shotgun. A .22LR in a hallway isn't going to do your hearing any favors either.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    If hearing loss is higher on the list than terminal performance,invest in a good pair of electronic muffs, and train break in situations with your muffs and your pistol/rifle/shotgun. A .22LR in a hallway isn't going to do your hearing any favors either.

+1 excellent suggestion...

and i too would discourage choosing a .22lr over the shotgun for HD... if you've taken tactical training you'll understand that SD situations occur very fast and things are very erratic - it's not like you can sit there and put carefully aimed fire on BGs... ...and if it's dark, low-light, again different tactics... you want a gun that will stop the attacker(s), effectively w/out "precision aiming" - aim for center-mass by default, or body extremety in close quarters, ...slice the pie, and dropout, repeat

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    and if it's dark, low-light, again different tactics... you want a gun that will stop the attacker(s), effectively w/out "precision aiming" - aim for center-mass by default, or body extremety in close quarters, ...slice the pie, and dropout, repeat

This is why all my pistols have tridium sights.

Agree shotguns are better for home defense over 22LR or pistols.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

A shotgun at indoor range is not going to spread enough to help, still have to be able to hit your target.

red
    2000 Z28

Spread enough to help what? Big spreads hit stuff you're not aiming at. Modern defensive 00 buck like the Federal Tactical loads are designed for pretty tight fist size groupings at 25y. That will create a pretty nasty wound channel.

Arctic White, red/gray

But he means an indoor attack will most likely be less than 25 yards, more like 10 feet to 30 feet. In reference to the dark light situation aim at the intruder and hope it hits him it might be nice to have a little bigger spread. It all depends on the load you are using and the choke in the gun. Home defense guns with no choke will have a decent spread at 10 yards with the right load.

I shoot trap alot, every week. I have taken my home defense 18 inch barrel 12 guage with no choke in the barrel to try it out. I have to shoot them as soon as they came out of the trap house or the spread would be too big to hit. The trap house was 16 yards away and they probably spread to more than the size of the human body at that point. Thats another reason why shotguns are great, different chokes for different distances along with loads. Different chokes for different folks
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-06-2011 at 06:03 AM.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

so, i'm thinking cheap red dot for my rifle.... anybody try truglo 2x42??? $79 bucks, some good reviews online about it keeping on target after lots of rounds. i have a $40 simmons scope which is fine but want the dot. thoughts? i guess most of you are going to say just spend the $200 but really at that point i'd rather buy a KIDD matched bull barrel.

i got my archangel kit yesterday and built it.... once i get a scope(need to pick up 1" weaver style rings to fit on the AR style rails), bipod and foregrip on it she should look rather mean. i think i would rather have one of those angled foregrips.... gotta shop around some....

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    so, i'm thinking cheap red dot for my rifle.... anybody try truglo 2x42??? $79 bucks, some good reviews online about it keeping on target after lots of rounds. i have a $40 simmons scope which is fine but want the dot. thoughts? i guess most of you are going to say just spend the $200 but really at that point i'd rather buy a KIDD matched bull barrel.

i got my archangel kit yesterday and built it.... once i get a scope(need to pick up 1" weaver style rings to fit on the AR style rails), bipod and foregrip on it she should look rather mean. i think i would rather have one of those angled foregrips.... gotta shop around some....
    I wouldnt say spend 200 dollars on an optic for a .22lr but you seem to have no problem putting some money into the gun lol. I do not have too much experience with red dot. I have a couple friends with them on there ARs and shotguns and I know they didnt pay more than 100 for theres and those hold up to much more recoil that yours will go through.

red
    2000 Z28

You might check out the Bushnell Trophy red dot http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=310814 . It's got switchable reticules, comes with weaver rings and a lifetime warranty. Sorry about the 12g vs. .22lr threadjack.

blue
    1999 TransAm

krese, how about a a set of irons, ..rear aperture sight and front post sight.. i think this is what a lot of the folks who shoot 10-22s at appleseed events like..

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

For $600 you're kicking around putting into your .22, you could have picked up one of these: (an entry-level 5.56 AR-15) Olympic Arms AR15 Rifle For Sale

I've had mine for 5+ years now and have put at least 1,000 rounds through it and don't regret the purchase one bit.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    krese, how about a a set of irons, ..rear aperture sight and front post sight.. i think this is what a lot of the folks who shoot 10-22s at appleseed events like..
    A good set like that is easily more accurate than red dot or holographic. Dont get me wrong red dot and holo can work great once sighted in I can easily land 30 out of 30 5.56 shots in a 4 inch area with my buddies ecotech at 100 yards but his aperture sights are still more accurate and it really starts to show at 200-300 yards.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

A good set like that is easily more accurate than red dot or holographic. Dont get me wrong red dot and holo can work great once sighted in I can easily land 30 out of 30 5.56 shots in a 4 inch area with my buddies ecotech at 100 yards but his aperture sights are still more accurate and it really starts to show at 200-300 yards.
    +1

i have heard the stock 10-22 sights are much to be desired, ..but there is an aftermarket set w/ rear aperture (mil-style) that is really good (can't remeber the "name" off hand..)

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

no worries about the 12g vs .22lr stuff... it has been a debate for a long time and is always interesting to talk about!

@detroit power:

i was going to pick up an entry level AR but for what i'm spending on my .22 i have a proven platform that lasts and is VERY accurate. yes, it is only a .22... i know iknow...... i'm just stupid for buying a .22

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information