Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I for one never really caught on to the GM thought process of putting SS badges on everything. A full size pickup truck especially.

Not knocking the truck, it's neat and all, but for an old school guy like me, SS has more heritage and history with a deeper meaning rather than just sticking it on anything in hopes of increasing sales.

I remember when GM was thinking of coming out with the truck, and a 6 speed trans was a major discussion as well as short box and standard cabs. Now that would be a sporty truck. Unfortunately that all fell to the side and that killed the idea of buying one for alot of people.

Back a few years a company my friends dad owned called LA west did truck and van conversions they made boss 5.4 f150s (seen here http://www.eurekaboy.com/misc/boss5.jpg )
    anyway the also did a chevy rs/ss truck that was a 5.3l/ manual ( don't know if it was m6 or not) and had an "slp 375hp pac". Don't know if they made that much power or not but they sure as hell were fun trucks, can't find any on the web right now but they where yellow or orange with hockey stripes.

red
    95 Z28

Yep, and back in the 60's you would have only seen this on Nova's, Camaro's, Chevelle's, and Impala's. It also meant "back then" you got an engine package above the rest to start with, and optional engines above that.
    Probably why I have a hard time grasping the whole "SS" concept nowadays. I understand it does make these new vehicles somewhat specific or different from the rest though. I'm just kinda wishy washy on the whole subject,,,,hows that?
    Actually if you go back to the 60s, an "SS" package wasnt anything too special, and rarely had anything to do with the powertrain or suspension. All too often it was gauges, a center console, and a few other tidbits, that's it.

Had everything to do with the drivetrain....

Base engine for the SS camaro 67 and 68 was the 350/295hp and in 69 it was the 350/300 hp. Those engines were extra cost options on an RS model. You could also order up a 396 in 3 different HP ratings. What you also got with the SS package was a 12 bolt differential mandatory, transmissions varied, and starting in 69, power front disc brakes were also part of the SS package.

Base engine for the SS chevelle starting in 66 was the 396/325HP, optional was the 350/360HP version or the 375HP version. But all SS chevelles starting in 66 got a 396 up through the 70 model year. Previous year chevelle SS's (64-65) could have had anything you wish for an engine. Again, the early SS's here with 300hp on up had the 12 bolt early on, and in 66 it was the standard differential, as all SS's had big blocks by then. By 69, front power disc brakes again were standard with the SS package.

Nova's are the same way. Early 60's had about anything, right up to an L79 in 66-67. Starting in 68 the SS nova came standard with the 350/295hp (same as camaro) and in 69 that was bumped to the 350/300HP (same as camaro) You could order (over the base 300hp engine) any big block 396 you wished starting in 68. Differentials followed suit. Early on 300 hp was the 12 bolt but starting in 68 the 12 bolt was standard with all SS Novas up through 71.

In a nutshell, the base SS engines weren't available in other models unless you checked it off as an extra cost option. That was the beauty of the SS packages back then, you really got alot for your money. Makes it easy to spot a fake nowadays unless you have a well done clone.

no color yet
    1967 c10 truck

Well chevy screwed that up. Yes its all wheel drive and has a fair motor but if you compare it to the ford lightning (I can't believe im going to say this) the SS sucks bad. If they would just put something in it that would make you crap your pants when you drive it then it might sell better. If you drive the last SS they made you would figure out it would be cheaper and more fun to buy the vortex max

I still like it, the appearance is pretty cool, and they are supposed to handle well. I just wish they would have made it in a short box with a standard cab, then put a 6 speed behind it. Would have been a pretty sporty truck then, and probably gotten rid of 1,000 lbs. of girth.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Base engine for the SS camaro 67 and 68 was the 350/295hp and in 69 it was the 350/300 hp. Those engines were extra cost options on an RS model. You could also order up a 396 in 3 different HP ratings. What you also got with the SS package was a 12 bolt differential mandatory, transmissions varied, and starting in 69, power front disc brakes were also part of the SS package.

Base engine for the SS chevelle starting in 66 was the 396/325HP, optional was the 350/360HP version or the 375HP version. But all SS chevelles starting in 66 got a 396 up through the 70 model year. Previous year chevelle SS's (64-65) could have had anything you wish for an engine. Again, the early SS's here with 300hp on up had the 12 bolt early on, and in 66 it was the standard differential, as all SS's had big blocks by then. By 69, front power disc brakes again were standard with the SS package.

Nova's are the same way. Early 60's had about anything, right up to an L79 in 66-67. Starting in 68 the SS nova came standard with the 350/295hp (same as camaro) and in 69 that was bumped to the 350/300HP (same as camaro) You could order (over the base 300hp engine) any big block 396 you wished starting in 68. Differentials followed suit. Early on 300 hp was the 12 bolt but starting in 68 the 12 bolt was standard with all SS Novas up through 71.

In a nutshell, the base SS engines weren't available in other models unless you checked it off as an extra cost option.

In a nutshell, the base SS engines weren't available in other models unless you checked it off as an extra cost option. That was the beauty of the SS packages back then, you really got alot for your money.

In a nutshell, the base SS engines weren't available in other models unless you checked it off as an extra cost option. That was the beauty of the SS packages back then, you really got alot for your money. Makes it easy to spot a fake nowadays unless you have a well done clone.
    What happened here Pops?

red
    95 Z28

In a nutshell, the base SS engines weren't available in other models unless you checked it off as an extra cost option.

And you could still get those engines without getting an SS in alot of cars. Same goes for the axles and transmissions available. If you truly looked at the unique SS only options in the package, it wasnt too special.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    What happened here Pops?
    Fixed... He gets on a roll sometimes and starts drooling.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by scwyyz View Post
    Well chevy screwed that up. Yes its all wheel drive and has a fair motor but if you compare it to the ford lightning (I can't believe im going to say this) the SS sucks bad. If they would just put something in it that would make you crap your pants when you drive it then it might sell better. If you drive the last SS they made you would figure out it would be cheaper and more fun to buy the vortex max
    Between the Ford and the Chevy, what you give up in performance, you more than make up for in practicality. Towing, Ext. cab, AWD option so you can actually drive it in the northern states in the winter. Fords was just a go fast rwd, reg cab truck. Plus I think the Chevy looks a hell of a lot better.

no color yet
    1967 c10 truck

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Between the Ford and the Chevy, what you give up in performance, you more than make up for in practicality. Towing, Ext. cab, AWD option so you can actually drive it in the northern states in the winter. Fords was just a go fast rwd, reg cab truck. Plus I think the Chevy looks a hell of a lot andlonger ibetter.
    Yep I agree. The ford doesn't handle as good can't tow as much doesn't even come close to looking as good and its not got the room but when you buy the SS model you looking for performance. You would be better off getting the 4 wheel drive king cab.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by scwyyz View Post
    Yep I agree. The ford doesn't handle as good can't tow as much doesn't even come close to looking as good and its not got the room but when you buy the SS model you looking for performance. You would be better off getting the 4 wheel drive king cab.
    Yeah I never went into owning my last truck with the intentions of it being a race truck. To me, it could handle all 4 seasons, had enough space for me, and could tow my toys up north no problem. It was definitely quicker than any other pickup I owned and to me it looked awesome. I understand the average consumers aggravations at it's performance, but I went into the deal knowing what the truck could / couldn't do. I couldn't have been happier for the past 2 years owning that truck... and I miss it already!!!!!!!

no color yet
    1967 c10 truck

Yeah I never went into owning my last truck with the intentions of it being a race truck. To me, it could handle all 4 seasons, had enough space for me, and could tow my toys up north no problem. It was definitely quicker than any other pickup I owned and to me it looked awesome. I understand the average consumers aggravations at it's performance, but I went into the deal knowing what the truck could / couldn't do. I couldn't have been happier for the past 2 years owning that truck... and I miss it already!!!!!!!
    Id say so. I almost bought one and then I test drove an 05 SSR. Bought it and fell in love with it. I came to realize that it was just for fun so I got rid of it. Now there is not a day goes by that I don't kick my self for ever getting rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    And you could still get those engines without getting an SS in alot of cars. Same goes for the axles and transmissions available. If you truly looked at the unique SS only options in the package, it wasnt too special.
    Yes you could still get those engines, but it was an extra cost option. Buying the SS package got you those engines as part of the deal. That's the whole point. SS wasn't just a bunch of emblems.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    What happened here Pops?
    Actually, I edited it, but for some reason it kept reposting. Have no idea why.

blue
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    And it also came with the base engines unless it was ordered other wise there was a litttle old lady in my town groing up in the 80's that had a 65-66 nove ss with the 250 straight 6 in it all original. There was also a guy at the local cruise in's a few years ago with a 68 nova ss that had the same 250 inline 6 and he calaimed thats how the car came and thats why he restored it wiht the 6 because you don't see them as much. The original SS option was just a trim and apperance up grade.

Sorry but that is only half correct. If you read my post, the higher HP base engines for the SS's started appearing in the SS models as early as 66 for the chevelles, and 68 for the nova's, yada yada.

I didn't go into big details as it would take a book to go over all of it, so I gave you a quick overview.

Basically, your 66-67 nova SS with the 6 banger could be had that way, starting in 63 for the SS nova line you could get any engine. 68 however the 350/300HP was the base nova SS engine, no ifs ands or buts. By the time the 80's rolled around any number of scenarios could have happened to that 68. Going through the gas crisis of the 70's it was very common for people to pull out the bigger engines for gas sipping economy. I'd bet my life savings the first 5 digits of the serial number of the 68 were "11427" signifying a V8 car and is the base starting serial number for every SS nova from 68-72.
    That's one trick us number crunching freaks look for when authenticating a claimed 68-72 SS nova.

Another scenario would be that someone took a base 68 nova 6 banger (serial number 11327) and just stuck all the SS badging on it. In which case I bet it had a 10 bolt rear too and a 5/16 fuel line. These are all clues. Being the 80's it was already getting popular to clone these cars, and it was done poorly.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-20-2012 at 07:16 PM.

blue
    2000 SS

I'm just going by what he told me that he ran the numbers and that it was an original SS and the 6 was the original motor and it was a very nice correct looking restoration that he did. But he said that is why he didn't put an 8 in it because of how odd it was. I don't know the numbers that well and didn't see it around last year so I don't know if it is in the area still or not to try and check it out. But back to the point that the original SS option was just an up level trim and did not do anything to the base motor. The motors didn't become a standard part of the SS option until 68.

Quote Originally Posted by IHSS View Post
    But back to the point that the original SS option was just an up level trim and did not do anything to the base motor. The motors didn't become a standard part of the SS option until 68.
    That's not entirely true either, it depends on which SS we are talking about. Since we seem to be concentrating on the nova line I'll talk about that.
    You are correct that Nova SS's from 63-67 could have had any number of engines and it was a trim level package for the most part. But you started seeing changes in 65 when the 12 bolt started appearing.
    In 65 you could order a number of higher HP 327's. Starting with the 300HP engine, if you also ordered a 4 speed you automatically got the 12 bolt rear. A power glide was still available behind the 300hp engine, and that powerglide seems to be the deciding factor as it's noted by most collector/restorers that those cars didn't get the 12 bolt.
    66 was much of the same with various 327's available including 250 and 300hp variants and these also got 12 bolts if the 4 speed was specified, but what gets interesting as it's the first year the L79 was available. They were all 4 speeds and they all got 12 bolts. This engine could be had in base model, sedan or hardtop, or the SS model. This carried on to the 67 model year.
    68 is when the changes occured for the Nova. The SS became it's own performance model rather than a trim level package. You got a ton of standard equipment with the 68, not just all the SS badging, but a special simulated grilled hood, black out grill, the standard engine was the 350/300hp engine with either a 3 speed automatic or a 4 speed manual. They all got 12 bolt rearends regardless of transmission choice. You also got heavy duty suspension as part of the SS.
    This was also the last year of the chevy II nameplate and the introduction of the front subframe assembly. There were only 2 optional engines for the SS this year, the 350HP 396 or the 375hp 396.
    69 and 70 things stayed the same, base 350/300hp for the SS, 12 bolt standard SS equipment as well as heavy duty suspension and a pair of 396's optional. You would now see multi leaf springs as standard affair as well as power front disc brakes as standard SS equipment.
    71 changed as big blocks were no longer offered in the nova. The base SS engine was the 350/270 hp. Compression dropped so the HP dropped from the original 300 hp ratings. Both the auto and 4 speed still available and this is the last year of the 12 bolt being standard in the SS nova. Still got multi leaf springs and power front disc brakes.
    72 was unchanged from 71 with the only difference being the rearend. The 12 bolt was gone and the 8.5" 10 bolt became the standard rearend. SS's still got multi leaf springs however, lower performance models (non SS) got mono leafs.
    There are tricks to telling a true SS nova as these seemed to be cloned about as much as anything else now. The serial number I had mentioned already, the 12 bolt rears are a giveaway as well as the multi leafs. The disc brakes starting in 69 is another giveaway. All the SS's starting in 68 would have a 3/8 fuel line as they were all 4 barrels. If you see a little 5/16 line, that throws a big red flag. 68's also got their own specific SS dash pad with an emblem that was integrated into the vinyl, a one year only deal and very hard to find. I could go on and on and probably bore you with details if I haven't already
    This SS model package is completely different however when you get into chevelles and camaro's, as the SS package was a performance model starting in 66 for chevelles and of course has always been a performance package for camaro's since it was born in 1967. Wasn't just a trim package, far from it. I only briefly explained this in my first post.
    Performance engines were standard in the SS but were an extra cost option in anything other than an SS. I broke it all down for you above in the Nova line, as they differed slightly from the camaro, chevelle and impala, probably leans more towards your thinking early on in Nova production. Hope that helps.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Well put the first tank of gas through the 6.2 .... averaged about 10.5 mpg (with some well spirited driving, and remote starts in the cold)

I think after I get about 1000 miles on her I'm gonna run E85 and see how she performs.

Well put the first tank of gas through the 6.2 .... averaged about 10.5 mpg (with some well spirited driving, and remote starts in the cold)

I think after I get about 1000 miles on her I'm gonna run E85 and see how she performs.
    Wow, is there any tuning or other tricks you can do to those and find some fuel mileage?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information