Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea I paid $31 a box for 357 Sig ammo. Wasn't too terrible, but not exactly cheap either.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Another feature I like of the 9mm is the double stack ability of the Glock magazine allows me to carry 15 rounds in my mid sized Glock and my wife can carry 10 rounds in her baby Glock. Yet both guns will accept a 33 round mag if you desire.
    My glock 22 (full frame 40) carries 15+1. And my baby glock (27) carries 11+1 if I want with the small extension on the mag (makes no difference for concealability)

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Considering 15 rnd mags are considered "high capacity" for a handgun and 30's for rifles I'd say all LEO's use them. Never seen an AR with a 10 or 20 in a LEO capacity. 30's for pistols and drums for rifles are different, not necessarily because there's not a need for the ammo it's just counter productive for a pistol with the mag sticking out that far when on the move and reloading another 17 round mag only takes a second. Trying to reload the others also takes longer. For someone in a defensive position without having to move around is a different story. Not that I use any of my drums or extended mags for SD role unless it was a zombie apocalypse or Red Dawn type action.

It's amazing what the mind does under duress. When we train room clearing and building entry with no hostile action everything goes smooth, when those paintball rounds start zinging everything goes awry. Happens every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Yeah, basically... And also one thing people dont seem to take into account, and that is the ability to stop someone with a shot or two, even hitting center mass. If someone is attacking you, there's a good chance they might be high on something. I havent seen it personally or video, but there are accounts of people high on PCP, etc taking 4-5 rounds center mass and they keep coming. They almost always die a short time later, but long after they would have had a chance to inflict some harm on you or someone else. CNS shots arent as easy to get as some people think.

Oh and wiley, it's a "fatal funnel"
    Carry 10MM and you only need 1 round center mass to blow off all the perp's extremities . I agree though it's not as easy as most think to stop someone immediately with one shot where they cannot return fire.

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    c'mon, ...death, ..fatal... give me a break!

...i took a handgun course by dave spaulding (handgun combatives) last year, ...first part, before the good stuff (shooting), he does a bit of an intro/lecture w/ some slides/etc... anyway, ...he addressed "stopping power" w/ a single slide w/ a caricature of a steaming pile of manure... "any questions?, ..next..."

btw, i also found that a lot of the instructors (many current/former LEO/mil/etc) i've taken courses from, carry and train w/ 9mm... not a lot of difference in wounding characteristics among handgun rounds, ..at least in the typical service and nato calibers (don't think 10mm would be included)... spaulding currently carries 9mm btw...
    Rawr 10mm love! Seriously though most modern HP's offer vastly better stopping power than those when the FBI looked to discard 9MM. I'd never replace my 10MM as my EDC as nothing comes close IMHO to 16 rounds (I use G20 mags with grip spacers in my G29) of 135 gn noslers at 1600 FPS, but I wouldn't feel naked if all I had was a .380 with some quality ammunition.

I carry 40 as I believe it offers a good mix of expansion, penetration, and capacity. 10mm is a beast. I'd have one if the ammo wasnt so expensive.
    I roll my own for this reason. I looked at it the other way I spare no expense on my defense. Though I think .40 is an excellent round, that's why I suggested it for my wife's EDC to replace the 642 airweight she had. She carries a G27 now. Another good thing about it is that .40 and 10mm use the same projectiles and dies so I can reload for both without having to buy 2 separate sets. The fact that my G29 also shoots .40 without changing anything was a plus for me as well. She's got the 9mm conversion barrel and G17 mags and a 33 rounder for it too for the just in case we can't find ammo and for cheaper ammunition. I placed a Sig 229 9mm in layaway for this reason too (can't go down to 9mm in the G29).

Go on and get a 10mm 5.0 you won't regret it, you can still shoot .40 out of it as well to save on the higher and sometimes harder to find 10mm. Get the conversion barrel if you believe the "bullet jump" drawbacks that some do. I don't, (I did and wasted money on a lone wolf 10/40 conversion barrel) .40 is very accurate out of my stock 10mm barrel and chamber, if bullet jump was an issue I'd think accuracy would suffer. I've shot several hundred .40 from my 10mm and there's no evidence of any chamber erosion.

As to availability, around here (Memphis area) everything is becoming available just more expensive. Mags, ammo, and weapons are in just about every major guns store around here, one store had about 5 different AR's and 10 AK's (1800+ vs 1000+). All of them have boxes and boxes of mags, just more than I'll pay for them (40$ for pmags and tapco poly AK 30's 80$ for 33 round Glock). Suprisingly .22LR is about the hardest to find. Anyone that carries it is out. .223 and 7.62x39 is plentiful, just more expensive (12+$ a box for Tulammo). As more and more realize the ban is unlikely and manufacturers up production to cash in on the hype the prices are dropping. They are lower than they were a month ago, and hopefully they will get back to prebanscare levels.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 02-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I ordered a new progressive reloader to start reloading .223. Now I just need to find the slugs at a good price and small rifle primers. I should be able to churn out 1,000 .223 rounds for about 250-270 bucks.

I like 10mm but I like shooting .40 and .45acp. If I want to shoot a handgun at 1600 or even 1700 fps I will load up the .44 mag and do it with 240grain slugs.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 02-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I like 10mm but I like shooting .40 and .45acp. If I want to shoot a handgun at 1600 or even 1700 fps I will load up the .44 mag and do it with 240grain slugs.

I hear what you're saying, but then you run into packaging issues with the firearm. I can carry a 10mm handgun that is fairly compact, and have more than 10 rounds available. Most 44 magnum handguns are huge (dimensionally), and weigh a ton... boat anchor. Not to mention only 6 rounds, and slower reloads (even with a speed loader for most people).

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Go on and get a 10mm 5.0 you won't regret it, you can still shoot .40 out of it as well to save on the higher and sometimes harder to find 10mm. Get the conversion barrel if you believe the "bullet jump" drawbacks that some do. I don't, (I did and wasted money on a lone wolf 10/40 conversion barrel) .40 is very accurate out of my stock 10mm barrel and chamber, if bullet jump was an issue I'd think accuracy would suffer. I've shot several hundred .40 from my 10mm and there's no evidence of any chamber erosion.
    I would consider it if I could get a 10mm barrel for my G22 (I havent looked into it). Dont really need another handgun right now though. I do like the caliber though.

blue
    1999 TransAm

...colorado state democrats are hellbent on fasttracking gun ban bills:

LIVE: CO senate judiciary committee hearing on "high capacity magazine ban"...

..magpul just testified, ...said may have to move operations out of state...
    Live blog: Colorado gun bills: Hearing on universal background checks, magazine capacity in state Legislature

Arctic White, red/gray

I hear what you're saying, but then you run into packaging issues with the firearm. I can carry a 10mm handgun that is fairly compact, and have more than 10 rounds available. Most 44 magnum handguns are huge (dimensionally), and weigh a ton... boat anchor. Not to mention only 6 rounds, and slower reloads (even with a speed loader for most people).
    I admit it is not my main carry gun since it has a 8 3/8s inch barrel but I do carry it from time to time. Round count doesn't matter as everyone will be running once the first round goes off and you are going to jail if you shoot too many people in the back.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Hes such an asshole!!...Like his boss!!!....As if a shottie wouldnt spred all over creation!! True a shotgun IS a great home defense weapon but since they are so against ''assault weapons'' it seems so ironic that he would advise his wife to pump a couple rounds out!!! What a dork!

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Hes such an asshole!!...Like his boss!!!....As if a shottie wouldnt spred all over creation!! True a shotgun IS a great home defense weapon but since they are so against ''assault weapons'' it seems so ironic that he would advise his wife to pump a couple rounds out!!! What a dork!
    they hail from the same party that said "you have to pass the bill to find out what's in it"... ...BTW, you should read the interview that field and stream did w/ him - in summary: the police have more rights to arms than us peasants do...

Yeah he's a real nut job.

I overheard some woman (name escapes me), who is either a senator or some member of congress open her mouth and mention she wants a bill that makes everyone take an anger management class before buying ammo. Really?

This crap is really starting to get far fetched.

blue
    1999 TransAm

I overheard some woman (name escapes me), who is either a senator or some member of congress open her mouth and mention she wants a bill that makes everyone take an anger management class before buying ammo. Really?

the gun grabber leftists are coming out of the woodwork... time for cockroach control: spotlight 'em, then stomp 'em

red
    95 Z28

I started a thread about it in this section. Pay attention

Arctic White, red/gray

I just do not understand how they can argue that AR-15 is not a good gun for the protection of yourself, your family or your country. Most LEOs have a AR-15 in the trunk and all have been trained to use it. There only job when using those weapons is in lawful protection and defense. This shows us it is the weapon of choice for it.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

THEY (most politicians) should have to take a literacy/competencey evaluation(mental included) before being allowed to serve in office!! Some of theses nut jobs are so far off base and out of touch with main stream middle America its not even funny anymore! Passing laws such as the size of soda one can buy etc etc....one can only blame the idiots who voted them in!!
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 03-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information