Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cam Work

This is a discussion on Cam Work within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by tatertot91 around 4-500 depending on the mileage If you get them less thats a great price, you ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    around 4-500 depending on the mileage
    If you get them less thats a great price, you will most likely find 799s cheaper because more people know what 243s and think they're better than 799s, they are the same.
    I paid 400 for my 243s with just under 25k on em to give you an idea
    Is mileage a major thing to be concerned about? Is there anything else I should ask about the heads if I am talking to a prospective seller.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Is mileage a major thing to be concerned about? Is there anything else I should ask about the heads if I am talking to a prospective seller.

Sorry for the dumb questions.
    Its not a huge thing to worry about but they are aluminum heads and if the engine was ever overheated they may be damaged/warped. Lower mileage is always a plus, if there are any performance shops see if they have any or if there are any customers going in for a head swap. A guy i met at a local shop here was getting LS3 heads installed on his LS2 vette so i took advantage and took them off his hands. Either way it would be a good idea to have them checked out a local machine shop.
    Just besure to find out if the heads have been worked over, if they've been milled down too much they may not work out for your build.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

There is a set of LS2 243s on tech for $350. That's probably a pretty good deal. Should I be concerned about what springs and valves come with?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

It's not that big of a deal, lighter valves are nice but it's not something you need, mine dont have them and neither will the ones you found unless they were swapped out. And the springs will need to be swapped out to handle the cam. Your main concern is that the heads are in good shape

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yea I follow. That makes things pretty easy. I can buy ported LS6 heads from Lingenfelter for $1,095 and can get the valves and springs of my choice. They advertise the LS3 and LS7 ported heads for the same price if I am reading things correctly. Maybe that is something to consider...?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

That may be the price to have them ported, otherwise thats pretty cheap. I would shoot them a call and find out

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yea I follow. That makes things pretty easy. I can buy ported LS6 heads from Lingenfelter for $1,095 and can get the valves and springs of my choice. They advertise the LS3 and LS7 ported heads for the same price if I am reading things correctly. Maybe that is something to consider...?
    Ya 1095 is pretty cheap for heads and a port ob, I think that may be just for the porting. As Alex said the mileage isnt much to be concerned about. If you have the heads ported they will do a small shave on the bottom of the heads to ensure they're flat anyway and the valve seals will all be replaced. If you throw them on stock then the seals will be replaced with the springs and a good cleanup pass on the deck is still recommended and its only about 50 bucks.

I have owned a set of 799's and now a set of 243s and the only difference others see and myself included is that since they are cast at different locations there is a difference in the way they look. The 799's casting is a little more "rough" than 243's however there is no power difference between the 2 and some cars have even come with a 799 on one side and a 243 on the other. Also ls3 and ls7 heads wont work on your ls1 the heads for an ls3 require a 4.00" bore and the ls7 iirc require a 4.06.

If I were you I would either buy some 243's and port them with the cam. If you dont have the extra coin just throw the 243's in stock with a cam, you will still put down 425ish with just that and a decent cam then later on its not too hard to pull them off for porting if you want.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Ya 1095 is pretty cheap for heads and a port ob, I think that may be just for the porting. As Alex said the mileage isnt much to be concerned about. If you have the heads ported they will do a small shave on the bottom of the heads to ensure they're flat anyway and the valve seals will all be replaced. If you throw them on stock then the seals will be replaced with the springs and a good cleanup pass on the deck is still recommended and its only about 50 bucks.

I have owned a set of 799's and now a set of 243s and the only difference others see and myself included is that since they are cast at different locations there is a difference in the way they look. The 799's casting is a little more "rough" than 243's however there is no power difference between the 2 and some cars have even come with a 799 on one side and a 243 on the other. Also ls3 and ls7 heads wont work on your ls1 the heads for an ls3 require a 4.00" bore and the ls7 iirc require a 4.06.

If I were you I would either buy some 243's and port them with the cam. If you dont have the extra coin just throw the 243's in stock with a cam, you will still put down 425ish with just that and a decent cam then later on its not too hard to pull them off for porting if you want.
    Yea I am showing my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I think the price is so cheap because you are refunded a $650 core charge if you send in your old heads (the price is 1,700 something if you don't go this route). I am not sure if it has to be a swap of LS6 unported for ported or if I can buy the ported LS6 heads and send them my 241s. I am going to have to call in when I am getting ready to pull the trigger.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yea I am showing my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I think the price is so cheap because you are refunded a $650 core charge if you send in your old heads (the price is 1,700 something if you don't go this route). I am not sure if it has to be a swap of LS6 unported for ported or if I can buy the ported LS6 heads and send them my 241s. I am going to have to call in when I am getting ready to pull the trigger.

Sounds like your just paying for the porting. Anyone can call up a vendor and ask for a set of ported ls6 heads and they will be around 1500. Or you can send in your heads and it will cost roughly 900, lingenfelter is doing the same thing they're just calling it a core charge. Thus in that case they will not accept 241's because they cant port them and then sell them as 243's, see what I'm saying? With that said I would strongly recommend you look into having TEA or AI port your heads even if you get 243's its around 900 and if you keep your 241's its 900. Both companies do amazing work with fantastic result, not that lingenfelter doesnt, but tea and ai have a great reputation for making power.

Also look into some PRC heads, the sticker price at first is a little bit of a shock (1500 for a stage 2 port) but if you figure 400 for a set of used heads and then 900 to port them you're already at 1300 not including springs. The 2.5 prc's cost 1500 but they come WITH new springs and valves and they're new heads so it actually works out to be cheaper... Are they as good as having TEA, AFR,or AI doing youre heads? Thats up for debate, but they are damn good heads at a damn good price lol.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Well after disassembleing the 241's the porter realized somebody did a butcher job on a home port...so I was forced to go out and pick up some low miled 243's...O well lol, cant wait

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Unless you have known good cores (known history) that have been checked for cracks and valve guide wear,,,I wouldn't bother with the porting aspect. Used heads are just that. Have to be carefull. Anything with 60-70K miles I'd be suspect of for worn valve guides and/or worn stems. Can't do a proper valve job until guides are right.

It's just all a bunch of added machine work here and there that will nickle and dime you to death when you really dig into it. Unless you are worried about building something that is numbers matching, then buying a set of ported heads ready to go, machined and with all new parts from your favorite vendor is the way to do it.

You'll spend about $1500 for ported LS6 heads, but you'll be much happier in the end with many trouble free miles for years to come. Those heads with even a mild 228-230 cam should make your HP goal and run 11's all day.

Texas Speed seems to have some of the better deals I've seen on LS6 CNC'd heads. Brandy new

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Unless you have known good cores (known history) that have been checked for cracks and valve guide wear,,,I wouldn't bother with the porting aspect. Used heads are just that. Have to be carefull. Anything with 60-70K miles I'd be suspect of for worn valve guides and/or worn stems. Can't do a proper valve job until guides are right.

It's just all a bunch of added machine work here and there that will nickle and dime you to death when you really dig into it. Unless you are worried about building something that is numbers matching, then buying a set of ported heads ready to go, machined and with all new parts from your favorite vendor is the way to do it.

You'll spend about $1500 for ported LS6 heads, but you'll be much happier in the end with many trouble free miles for years to come. Those heads with even a mild 228-230 cam should make your HP goal and run 11's all day.

Texas Speed seems to have some of the better deals I've seen on LS6 CNC'd heads. Brandy new
    Thanks for the pointers and I will be looking into this. I figure I might as well have them ported upfront and be done with it and this sounds like a viable option.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Thanks for the pointers and I will be looking into this. I figure I might as well have them ported upfront and be done with it and this sounds like a viable option.
    I thought about every option, what way would be cheaper,etc.etc and if I could do it again I would just go out and get a cnc'd set for 1200-1500 new from a vendor. Luckily I found a local guy on LS1tech that ports for a shop that does side work cheap because I would have been screwed financially after dropping 425.00 bucks for a set of 243's.
    Last edited by BrownsMillsAntz; 03-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.

silver
    1986 camaro

So... You decide on a camshaft yet? Whatever you do your gonna need springs... A 230/234 eps cam would give you a quite valvetrain and not kill the springs like some other cams.. 230/234 .600/.602 114+4

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1nasty86 View Post
    So... You decide on a camshaft yet? Whatever you do your gonna need springs... A 230/234 eps cam would give you a quite valvetrain and not kill the springs like some other cams.. 230/234 .600/.602 114+4
    Haven't decided on a cam yet. I am not really sure where to go with that route. Like I said I would like to see some nice HP gains but maintain street-ability.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Get a Procharger then!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Get a Procharger then!
    That's a fairly hefty investment though and pretty much guarantees tranny and rear end work. I would love to have your set up trust me but my budget won't allow it quite yet!
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Texas Speed is where I got my heads. I purchased the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L ported heads. I decided on the 5.3L because it will bump up the compression a little bit. And the price seams to be reasonable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information