Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Texas Speed & Performance 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers

Has anyone out there installed or tried to install Texas Speed & Perf. 1 7/8" LT Headers on a 2002 SW6? I am trying to, and I am having hell for it! The passenger side went in the first time I tried it. No problem. The drivers side has been incredibly hard. I have raised the engine as high as it will go, but still can't get it in. And I have tried it coming up and going down. It almost seams that it is the wrong headers. The drivers side header is 7" thick at the area where the tube cross each other and it is about 12" down from that wide area to the bottom of the header where it starts bending back toward the collector. I haven't had a chance to call Texas Speed during the week about this. They are closed on Saturday and Sunday. Texas Speed & Perf 1998_2002 LT Header.jpg

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

have you tried removing the steering shaft and grinding the k member lip dow a little bit. Normally people dont have trouble with tsp headers however since they are 1 7/8ths some grinding of the k member may be needed. If you have done those two then you may need to unbolt the motor mount and jack it up from there.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I installed these same headers on my 02 Z28.................you need to basically jack the car up as high as you can, the drivers side header need to be almost completely vertical to squeeze it up in there. Make sure that if you haven't taken off the oil filter that will need to be removed as well. Other then that, just a couple LIGHT taps with a hammer and you should be able to manage to get it in there. I didn't have to modify anything to get mine to fit. Kind of a pain to get in, but you'll be very happy with these headers once their in. Good luck!!!!

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks guys for trying to help. I had already removed the stearing shaft and the oil filter. And have removed the motor mount bolts and raised the engine as high as I can. I haven't tried gringing the flange back on the k-member yet though. I think what I'm going to do is what you suggested DaddysZ28. I have the car pretty high already, but I can definitely go higher. When I was going up with the header in my hand, it was nowhere near in the vertical position. So maybe I need to try that first. I did talk to TSP this morning, and they suggested unbolting the transmission support. That that would give a little more lift with the engine. So I'm sure I will also try that. Thanks gain guys for the insight!

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

You shouldn't have to undo the transmission support, steering shaft or anything like that. I had the front end supported on jack stands, and tried to different jacks, but it didn't go high enough. It was super super unsafe, but I ended up putting 2 2x4's under the jack then lifted it up, and it gave me just enough room to squeeze the header in there. Good luck, just try to be safe. Let us know if you get it.

silver
    2000 formula

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I got them in!!!! WOOWOO! I did raise the car up as high as the jack stamds would let me. But I realized that raising the car anymore wasn't going to help me because there was no way for the header to go staight up because it wouldn't go past the k-member. But, what I also discovered was that I had not raised the engine as high as it could because I had run out of jack a didn't realize it. So I cut out a couple of wooden blocks out of a 2 X 6, put it on the tounge of the jack and for sure raised the engine as high as it would go. I tried the header going up, but it would go. But it was super close to going in. Then for grins I tried it from above and it went in. Man I am so glad that part is over. Thank you guys so much for the help.

Thread Information