its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

knock sensor questions...please help before noon!!

so after reading about some of the characteristics of knock sensors, i have a new hope for my engine. refresher-my car deveoped a knock a few months ago... the car doesnt knock when i first start it up...or idling in park or whatever...soon as i put it in gear with my foot on the brake, it knocks. i get to cruising speed and drive normal, it doesnt knock, but when i accelerate it knocks again....there is a lack of power from what it had before also. what leads me to believe this could be the problem is every time i wash my car, i notice water leaking onto the engine from the seal that goes between the hood and firewall. i usually dry it off, but the last time i really drove it, i didnt dry it off and i believe water may have gotten onto the knock sensors.

can a bad knock sensor actually make the car knock like a bad bearing?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

How is the oil pressure? on start up and at operating temperature?

Could the exhaust be hitting the floorboard or crossbrace?

pewter
    99 trans am

oil pressure is fine...around 35-40psi at idle and around 60 at cruising...nothing is hitting the floor...its coming from the engine cause it gets faster with acceleration....

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    so after reading about some of the characteristics of knock sensors, i have a new hope for my engine. refresher-my car deveoped a knock a few months ago... the car doesnt knock when i first start it up...or idling in park or whatever...soon as i put it in gear with my foot on the brake, it knocks. i get to cruising speed and drive normal, it doesnt knock, but when i accelerate it knocks again....there is a lack of power from what it had before also. what leads me to believe this could be the problem is every time i wash my car, i notice water leaking onto the engine from the seal that goes between the hood and firewall. i usually dry it off, but the last time i really drove it, i didnt dry it off and i believe water may have gotten onto the knock sensors.

can a bad knock sensor actually make the car knock like a bad bearing?
    a knock sensor will throw a code if it is wet/bad.... and if you were getting spark knock its not any where near as loud as a knock from a bearing... i had a bad knock sensor and it caused my engine to "tick" it was fairly quiet but a sound that was not normal.... my car also has a lifter tick when it is cold... and can be heard till it builds up oil pressure in the lifter again...

a knock sensor will cause a lack of power and a small tick but will more than likely throw a code...

pewter
    99 trans am

well ive already got ses light on cause i have headers and emissions delete..i may take it up to autozone and have em scan it...

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

ya get it scanned and see if there is a knock sensor code if so you must get it taken care of asap...

Thread Information