Thread: Which Amsoil?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

Which Amsoil?

Hi, I live in the UK and want to change the oil in my 2001 Z28 Camaro that has done 40k miles. When I got the car 3 months ago it had just had an oil change but I don't know what was put in it and it also has one of these Fram oil filters that nobody recommends, so I want to do the change and fit a better filter asap.

Although I've read the various 'which oil?' threads on here with some interest, there are not that many brands that you guys rate that are readily available over here. I was looking for Pennzoil 10w-30, but can't find any other than via import.

One oil that I can get hold of easily is Amsoil, but which version/viscosity would be the best out of the following that the store has in stock. 5w-40 (euro formula), 10w-40, 5w-30, 10w-30 or 0w-30 (series 2000)?

Also, are Purolator oil filters any good?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

10w-30 is good to 0 degrees, 5w-30 is good below 0 degrees. i run 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter..as far as filters go I use amsoil oil filters but they are expensive...ingeneral for oil filters i would say amsoil, wix, or mobile one. and yes FRAM is HORRIBLE

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i must say though i change my oil every 2500 -3000 miles and noticed a big change in the clairity of my oil after i started using amsoil oil with amsoil oil filters.... it was much cleaner and more transparent....

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I am currently using royal purple, but am considering switching to amsoil.

I use just the OEM delco filter. They work great, and are cheap.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah thats true i have heard good thing about the ac delco filters as well

Post 0W-30 all the way...

David68 –

5W-30 is recommended for your 2001 Z28 for all ambient temperatures.

However, if cost isn’t an issue, the slightly more spendy 0W-30 is preferable over the 5W-30 and 10W-30. Basically, you get a little bit better start-up protection with the 0W-30 no matter what the ambient temperature, and have the same oil viscosity at operating temperature as the 5W-30 and 10W-30. That is if your store still has the 0W-30 on the shelf? Even I as an Amsoil dealer have a hard time getting the 0W-30 from time to time as it sells out quickly; it’s in pretty high demand.

If your retail outlet has Amsoil synthetic fiber oil filters, #EaO32 for your car, it would be a great choice for an oil filter. Great flow, great filtering, lasts up to 25,000-miles based on application.

Good luck!

CompSyn

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

They "say" it lasts that long, but who in their right mind would go 25k without changing their oil and filter?

Get the amsoil but stick with the delco filter, and change your oil every 4-6k miles.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i use amsoil oil filters but change it everytime i do an oil change. If you read carefully on the amsoil site about the filters it says to change them when you change your oil, no matter what the mileage. Even though it states its a 25000 mile oil filter.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

compsyn.....if I order through you can you get me a better deal than I do ordering off the website and being a member?

Post Amsoil Extended Drain Interval

When considering the Amsoil extended drain interval, look at the outlined criteria first.

Amsoil quoted:

"Service Life -

AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 17,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak anti-freeze and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo or supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, extensive engine idling, first and subsequent use of AMSOIL in vehicles with over 100,000 miles, daily short trip driving less than 10 miles (16km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.

AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filters are designed for extended drain intervals. They stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filters."

Amsoil un-quoted.

As you will notice, part of what makes the extended drain interval possible is how clean the oil is kept during the oil change interval.

Amsoil quoted:

"Ea Oil Filters have been evaluated using today’s benchmark test, the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide 98.7 percent efficiency at 15μ and up to 70 percent efficiency at 7μ. Competitive filters range from approximately 85 to 92 percent efficiency at 15μ. When it comes to removing contaminants in the most critical size range (2 to 22μ), AMSOIL Ea Filters greatly outperform competitive filters."

Amsoil un-quoted.

Amsoil Ea Oil Filter TSB pdf.

Question: What is the particulate size in which the Delco filter will trap? And how well does the Delco filter flow?

Anwser: “98% single-pass filtering efficiency at 25–30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities.”

Data provided by AC Delco: http://www.acdelco.com/parts/filters/oil-filters.jsp

Aside from filtering capacity, the other variable in extended drain intervals has to do with whether or not the oil is designed for an extended drain? Does the oil have the comprehensive additive package formulated into it to allow for the extended use? The answer is many oils do not. And the reason is, oil companies have capitalized on the 3,000mile/3 month oil change methodology for too long regardless of the oil technology that has existed for many decades.

If you read the Amsoil recommendation on extended drains and determine what category your specific application falls into, you can follow the extended drain based on the recommendation with confidence. Does your application fall into normal or severe duty service? Is your application original or modified?

The Amsoil “Extended Drain Interval” has been validated by 35 years of industry testing and by tens of thousands of motorists and millions of over-the-road miles. AMSOIL INC. further warrants its products to be free of defective materials, design, and workmanship with comprehensive warranty coverage.

Amsoil Warranty link

Ask yourself, would an oil company that guarantees a 25,000mile/12 month drain interval still be in business after 36 years if its claim was not capable of such? Would the company still have a favorable standing in the industry as does Amsoil?

Regardless of how one looks at the Amsoil extended drain recommendations, the most scientific way to determine exactly how long oil will last in your specific application, is through Used Oil Analysis (UOA).

http://www.oaitesting.com/

Also consider the people who have successfully done the Amsoil Extended drain:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...43#Post1195443

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...01#Post1144601

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...952623&fpart=1

CompSyn
    Last edited by CompSyn; 08-11-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Post Amsoil Deal...

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    compsyn.....if I order through you can you get me a better deal than I do ordering off the website and being a member?
    Your very best deal is signing up for the Amsoil Preferred Customer Program.

LS1.com – Amsoil Preferred Customer link

Singing up for the program through my dealership awards you the same pricing I get as a Dealer; 15 to 25% off retail/website cost.

It also appears that you are a repeat Amsoil customer so the small annual or semi-annual cost of the Preferred Customer Program would pay for itself in no time.

Singing up for the Preferred Customer account with the above provided link supports my dealership. Supporting my dealership keeps my sponsorship here on LS1.com possible.

CompSyn

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

glad to know that, my membership expires at the end of this month, I will be renewing through your link

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go with the Amsoil 0W-30 and a K&N Performance Gold filter, which I've ordered from one of the sponsors on this site.

Any tips for doing the oil change and switching to the synthetic?

I was just planning on getting the engine up to temp and then draining out as much of the old stuff as I can before fitting the new filter and pouring in the Amsoil. But, should I be looking to use some engine flush?

All I know about the oil that is in it now is that it's non-synthetic, that the dealers I bought the car from had put in when they did a basic oil & air filter service and that it's only been in there for about 3 months or 620 miles. It still looks very clean. However, I don't know whether all that has any bearing on whether I need to go through some sort of flush procedure before moving to the new Amsoil synthetic, or not.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by david68 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go with the Amsoil 0W-30 and a K&N Performance Gold filter, which I've ordered from one of the sponsors on this site.

Any tips for doing the oil change and switching to the synthetic?

I was just planning on getting the engine up to temp and then draining out as much of the old stuff as I can before fitting the new filter and pouring in the Amsoil. But, should I be looking to use some engine flush?

All I know about the oil that is in it now is that it's non-synthetic, that the dealers I bought the car from had put in when they did a basic oil & air filter service and that it's only been in there for about 3 months or 620 miles. It still looks very clean. However, I don't know whether all that has any bearing on whether I need to go through some sort of flush procedure before moving to the new Amsoil synthetic, or not.

Nope, just do a standard oil change with the new synthetic. Eventually down the road a bit after a couple more oil changes, you will be good as gold!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Fill the filter with oil before putting the new one on.

Red
    2001 ws6

IMO, change the filter and oil every 6 months

Thread Information