Thread: What to do now

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

What to do now

So. I spent the last few years collecting parts to install into my LS1. FAST 102, NW 102, FAST lid, LS3 rails and injectors, Racetronix pump, 243 heads with stage 2 CNC work from TEA and a grind from Martin Smallwood clocking in at 230/234 .629/.612 112+2.

Now my problem is... I came into possession of a 6.2 aluminum shortblock that dropped a valve and borked all the pistons. I am torn between finishing what I started or building a 418 out of this new block which will mean a good deal more money for a dip then rotating assembly.

I know the 418 will make much more HP even with the same top end I planned for the LS1. But I honestly never take my car to the track or race it. It is something I pull out when I want to go for a ride and feel free from all the bull. I love the sound of my current GMPP HOTcam and don't really know what I should do at this point since I am not a track fiend.

Advice?

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What to do now

been there. mine sat almost 2 years in my garage while I sourced parts. I got to tge point I wanted it built so I could ride it again.

To be honest hard choice. If it's something that you can knock out under a year I'd wait. If it's going to take longer to finish (money) then I'd go ahead and get it up and running so I could enjoy and save up for the other build.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    been there. mine sat almost 2 years in my garage while I sourced parts. I got to tge point I wanted it built so I could ride it again.

To be honest hard choice. If it's something that you can knock out under a year I'd wait. If it's going to take longer to finish (money) then I'd go ahead and get it up and running so I could enjoy and save up for the other build.
    It would likely be well over a year before I could get the engine built. Getting the LS1 kitted out was what I was kind of leaning toward. Because honestly, I am not even sure that I need anything more beefy than what it will be able to provide.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in that short block but to be honest I can't right now. I have several big things coming up over the next yr or so and I just can't divert funds away to something that I would put to good use. Plus my wife would kill me.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in that short block but to be honest I can't right now. I have several big things coming up over the next yr or so and I just can't divert funds away to something that I would put to good use. Plus my wife would kill me.
    Oh, I understand. I sold my 6.0 iron block to pay for half of this one haha. Same here with the big things. My house A/C went out last week and I don't really have the 10K it's gonna take to replace it. So I am living with an average of 77-80 degrees inside the house right now. That really burns when I have to go do work in the blasting cabinet. Not to mention I really wouldn't feel right selling off a block to someone that I am not 100% sure about myself. Like I said, the vehicle it came out of dropped a valve and pieces of it bounced around damaging most of the cylinders. I need to tear the engine down and have the block dipped and tested to make sure it is sound. But after that I just might put it up for sale, haha. Who knows. Because at this rate getting a 418 rotating assembly, cam, probably new injectors, heads, rectangle fast 102 would take me a few years more than likely.

At this point instead of making a super powerplant maybe I should save money for a new rear end (original 10bolt with the original 3.23 gears), thinking Strange S60. Not to mention I probably need to get the T56 beefed up, prolly send it to Jason at Texas Drive Train Performance.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Middle of the night so bad lighting but at least 4 of the cylinders have substantial damage. Just hoping the sleeves are ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side 1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	27173
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	27174

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

As tempting as that sounds, I would pass and stick to your original plan. You have collected everything and your close to being all ready. And as you mentioned, beefing up the other areas like the 10 bolt definitely come to mind vs rebuilding a 6.2L that you could always purchase later down the road if you wish.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Being stuck in this position all the time between the fox body, street glide, trans am and my truck it's always a bummer having to chose, BUT sense you dont have the funds right away I would just hang onto the block and get your car together with the ls1 its gonna be fun to drive and make pretty good power then just build the ls3 and make it into that 418/427 as time and the extra cash allows �� that's the way I go about it

Thread Information