Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Angry Engine overheats after shutdown

My 97 Trans Am with WS6 and Ram Air only overheats after you shut the motor off.

Is there a temp sensor that is supposed to keep the fan on until the engine cools?

Thanks in advance,

George

Last edited by geoholt3; 09-03-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All engines heat soak after you shut them down. For a brief period the temperature will climb as the coolant absorbs heat from the engine. Even if the fans continue to run after shut off, they simply cool what fluid is in the radiator. At best, there may be some very minimal convection circulation until the thermostat closes since the water pump is no longer turning.

How hot does it get and have you checked it with a scanner?

Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    All engines heat soak after you shut them down. For a brief period the temperature will climb as the coolant absorbs heat from the engine. Even if the fans continue to run after shut off, they simply cool what fluid is in the radiator. At best, there may be some very minimal convection circulation until the thermostat closes since the water pump is no longer turning.

How hot does it get and have you checked it with a scanner?
    It gets very close to the red zone on the gauge. What kind of scanner should I use?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

If it gets that hot after shut down it may be running too hot to begin with. I would check the cooling system and make sure everything good and have the cap checked to make sure it is holding pressure.

There is also an option in the tune to allow the fans to run after shut off.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

How do you know its over heating?
    Our gages arent very accurate..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    If it gets that hot after shut down it may be running too hot to begin with. I would check the cooling system and make sure everything good and have the cap checked to make sure it is holding pressure.

There is also an option in the tune to allow the fans to run after shut off.
    There is one thing that happened the other day. There was a plastic valve of some sort in the one of the heater hoses. It was near the pump itself. It broke after parking the vehicle. I assume it was so hot that the pressure in the hose broke it. I didn't replace the whole hose, I just bought a 3/4" splice and some clamps to get the car running again.

What was that valve for? I noticed it had a pencil size hole inside to let the fluid through to the heater core.

Thanks, George

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by geoholt3 View Post
    There is one thing that happened the other day. There was a plastic valve of some sort in the one of the heater hoses. It was near the pump itself. It broke after parking the vehicle. I assume it was so hot that the pressure in the hose broke it. I didn't replace the whole hose, I just bought a 3/4" splice and some clamps to get the car running again.

What was that valve for? I noticed it had a pencil size hole inside to let the fluid through to the heater core.

Thanks, George
    I'm just guessing but believe it's an air purge valve. So trapped air can be bled from the cooling system..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm just guessing but believe it's an air purge valve. So trapped air can be bled from the cooling system..
    It was inline, so I don't see how it could have purged air. There was a spring inside it as well. I'm thinking it was some kind of restricter vavle, but why would it be inline with a heater core?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It was inline, so I don't see how it could have purged air. There was a spring inside it as well. I'm thinking it was some kind of restricter vavle, but why would it be inline with a heater core?
    Most likely it is an air purge valve. Heater core line is possibly higher than the rad. Air tends to rise when in a liquid. Alot of GM cars have this purge valve..

Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Most likely it is an air purge valve. Heater core line is possibly higher than the rad. Air tends to rise when in a liquid. Alot of GM cars have this purge valve..
    Hmmm, thanks. Who makes the best manual for these cars?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hmmm, thanks. Who makes the best manual for these cars?
    Off the shelf I'd have to say Chiltons. But a true tech manual as found @ a GM dealer shop would most likely be the best..

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

That's a flow restrictor to so that you don't get too much pressure from the cooling system into the heater core. Be sure to replace it 'cause you don't want to blow the core. BTW if your car has not been thoroughly flushed and new antifreeze put in you should do that. The LT1s have a good deal of problems with antifreeze contamination.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    That's a flow restrictor to so that you don't get too much pressure from the cooling system into the heater core. Be sure to replace it 'cause you don't want to blow the core. BTW if your car has not been thoroughly flushed and new antifreeze put in you should do that. The LT1s have a good deal of problems with antifreeze contamination.
    Seriously? I've never heard of a PRV on an engines cooling sys..hmmm

Red
    97 WS6 Ram Air T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    How do you know its over heating?
    Our gages arent very accurate..
    J
    If you go by the marks, mine usually runs on the 1/4 mark. After engine shutdown it climbs to the 3/4 mark just shy of the red zone. They may not be all that accurate, but the drastic change tells me somethings not right.

Capiche?
    Last edited by geoholt3; 09-04-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    I usually gets what I wants...you got a problem with dat?

Thread Information