Thread: Just got my PC

LE Anniversary
    02 SS, 02 Firehawk

Just got my PC

Just got my Porter Cable from UPS, and I want to detail my car this weekend. I am trying to decide between 3M 3000 series products, or Menzerna. I have no experience with either product. My car is red, if that makes a difference. I'm not entirely sure how the process works....I plan on starting with a light swirl remover and working my way up if necessary. How do I work down from a light swirl remover if that turns out to be good enough? Just wax/polish the vehicle as usual, or is there another step with the buffer I need to do? Also, what exactly does a machine glaze do?
    Last edited by Devildog; 05-14-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've always heard great things about Menzerna. I use Pinnacle products right now. I'd start with polish and a white polishing pad, if that dont cut it, use the swirl remover and a white pad. Need more still, use the swirl cutter with a light cutting pad (orange). I wax afterwards with liquid Pinnacle wax applied with the PC and a grey (no cut) pad. Remove with a microfiber towel.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Just got my Porter Cable from UPS, and I want to detail my car this weekend. I am trying to decide between 3M 3000 series products, or Menzerna. I have no experience with either product. My car is red, if that makes a difference. I'm not entirely sure how the process works....I plan on starting with a light swirl remover and working my way up if necessary. How do I work down from a light swirl remover if that turns out to be good enough? Just wax/polish the vehicle as usual, or is there another step with the buffer I need to do? Also, what exactly does a machine glaze do?
    It depends on the condition of your paint. The clearcoat on the f-bodies is pretty hard. Conventional wisdom dictates that you approach the job with the least aggressive method
    As already mentioned above, you want to start with the polishing pad first, and the least aggressive compound. Assess you progress, if not happy, step up with the next level compound, same pad. Step up to the next level pad, same compund if not happy, and so forth and so on
    I find this technique to be safe when you're working with compounds you're not familiar with. That said, on FBodies, and Corvettes, I start with the orange pad, if using Menzerna Polishes. On the scale of 1-5; 5 being the most aggressive, I use the Menzerna PO85RD3.02 that has a cut of 3.5. Even with the orange pad (LC Pads) it finishes nicely, while taking swirls out. Some other compounds may respond differently, so that's why the above rule always apply

Black pads are finishing pads -generally- they're great for applying sealant and waxes. Blue and red pads -generally finesse pads- are great for applying glaze or finishing type polish

Thread Information