red
    2001 pontiac WS6

underdrive pulleys?

Ok i know underdrive pulleys give you like 10 extra horses but what do they harm? Maybe i read it wrong but doesnt it cut down on ur electronics and ur A/C. And living in south central TX a/c is a big concern for me with charcoal leather.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

To be honest the Gains arent that big, not enough to justify the price. Although unless your running and massive sound system you dont have to worry about Alt output.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

well i wouldnt say its massive,alpine type S components the whole way around and im gonna get the mtx custum box for the back, the amp is 74X4 and 300X1

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the ASp underdrive pulley with a overdrive alt. pulley. No problems here. Did get rid of my dying alt for a 220 amp powerbastards model it looks stock and fit like stock and works great with my red top.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

by red top do u mean your optima?

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    by red top do u mean your optima?
    ill speak for him and say yes....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have an ASP pulley. They free up some HP, but I honestly would not do one, unless you were doing a cam install. You don't see enough gains to really do it alone, not for the money you spend anyways. Now if you are doing a cam install, you already have the stocker off, might as well throw one on then.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have an ASP pulley. They free up some HP, but I honestly would not do one, unless you were doing a cam install. You don't see enough gains to really do it alone, not for the money you spend anyways. Now if you are doing a cam install, you already have the stocker off, might as well throw one on then.
    whats involved in doing one? how long does it take? me and my cousin just ordered 2 ASP pulleys and were planning on doing them this weekend

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    whats involved in doing one? how long does it take? me and my cousin just ordered 2 ASP pulleys and were planning on doing them this weekend
    The info I am pulling comes straight from this link:

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

"On a 6 speed car, put the shifter in 4th gear and make sure the parking brake is on tight. On an A4 car, you'll need to drop the starter and either install the flywheel locking tool or wedge a screwdriver in. The starter is held in by 2 13mm bolts for 99+ models or 2 15mm bolts for 98 models and is on the bottom rear passenger side of the engine. You can leave the wires attached.

Once the engine is locked down from spinning, use your large breaker bar, a 3" extension and a 24mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt that goes directly into the crank through the center of the large pulley. You may need a 2-3 foot extension of pipe to slip over your wrench to break this bolt free. Once it's broken free, you should be able to unscrew it by hand. Once the bolt is out, either thread it back in 4 full turns, or if you purchased a 1" longer metric crank bolt, install it all the way at this time.
    Now install your 3 arm pulley puller, mounting the hooks of the three arms on the inner part of the stock pulley. If you already have an underdrive pulley on there, either pull it off using a 3 screw type puller, or be VERY careful and grab onto a lip of the underdrive pulley (on the f-body ASP pulley there is a ridge half way back that can be pulled on safely with a 3 arm puller). Keeping the pulley puller arms all secure and aligned, begin to tighten the bolt on the puller and crank on it until the pulley either comes loose, or hits the head of your crank bolt. If it hits the head of your crankbolt, loosen the pulley puller, unturn the bolt 1-2 turns, and re-try it again. The key when you back your crank bolt out more, you are putting MORE stress on less and less of the threads...however, towards the end of pulley removal it will come off easier and easier so the stress isn't enough to damage the crankshaft threads.

If you get the pulley as far off as it'll come without totally removing the crankbolt and the pulley is still firmly on there, give it a good tug or a tap with a rubber mallet...it should be hanging on by just a hair at this point. If you have the longer crank bolt, this won't be an issue."

Red
    2001 ws6

how long did yours take you to do?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

how long did yours take you to do?
    Buddy of mine that is an technician at a stealership did mine. Took him about 20 mins probably, it pays to have friends with the right tools

As long as you have the right tools, its not a bad job.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Buddy of mine that is an technician at a stealership did mine. Took him about 20 mins probably, it pays to have friends with the right tools

As long as you have the right tools, its not a bad job.
    sounds good, thanks for the help

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

sounds good, thanks for the help
    Yup, thanks for the help.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I personally would not do it either. To each his own but IMO its just not worth it, the gains are so minimal with an elevated risk and cost. Just like any mode the car is not designed to be with these parts. Now that with a judgment call. I have aftermarket parts on mine but Im not interested in pully's.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

even with the right tools getting the pully off can be a real bitch and it's my worst enemy every time i have to remove one...

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    even with the right tools getting the pully off can be a real bitch and it's my worst enemy every time i have to remove one...
    thing is i called a guy......for a UD pulley installed and a dyno tune he wanted $760......figure $350 for the dyno tune which is what it goes for around here, that leave $410......$410 for a pulley and install???? i couldnt justify it

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I had my EWP and underdrive pulley done at the same time. I did notice some more power but I think that the biggest difference is not that it frees up alot of horse power but it does let your car rev faster and get into the power band quicker.

As for just doing the underdrive pulley I would not do one just on its own. I would wait till you go to install a cam if you are.

Black
    2001 WS6

ewp?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    ewp?
    Electric Water Pump

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

thing is i called a guy......for a UD pulley installed and a dyno tune he wanted $760......figure $350 for the dyno tune which is what it goes for around here, that leave $410......$410 for a pulley and install???? i couldnt justify it
    Rape

Thread Information