brake light ? please help

I have a 97 Camaro and the drivers side brake light works when the head lights are not on. When the head lights are on the running light works but when you push the brake pedal the light goes completely out. I have changed the bulb just out of curiosity but that still didnt work. The brake light has worked before. so now i'm stuck. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Black
    2002 SS SLP Camaro

It sounds like you have a bad ground.... You have to check to make sure the ground is there otherwise both filaments in the lightbulb will not work ....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Just worked on a Camaro that had that exact same problem earlier this week. Changed one of the sockets and cleaned up the ground at the back of the car-by the hatch release. Fixed it.

Black
    2002 SS SLP Camaro

Well first make sure that you have the belt in all the pulleys and the grooves right, If you do not it will not be long enough to fit at all.....a lil trick would be to put it on all the pulleys in all the grooves except the alternator pulley , then use a ratchet to pull the tensioner over, then the belt should slide on to the alternator pulley

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I have a special tool for this that helps alot-it's a long handle ratchet type wrench basically that gives me alot of leverage (serpentine belt tool). If all you have are wrenches though you can do the same thing. Put the box end of the wrench on the pulley bolt-then take the next biggest size wrench and hook the box end around the open end of the wrench you are using(did that make sense?) so that it essentially makes the wrench twice as long. I could show you this easier than explaining it-or maybe if you have some pipe around that's big enough to slip over the wrench end (a cheater pipe). It makes it alot easier to get the tensioner to go far enough to slip the belt on. I hope that helps-that's usually what the problem is with serp belts-there's alot of tension on them and it's difficult to get enough slack to get it back on. One other suggestion is to set the belt on all the pulleys except for the waterpump-being as it doesnt have any grooves it's easier to slip the belt back on it. Let me know if you get it or not-good luck.

Thread Information