Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Whats the difference between a "Super Charged" and a "Turbo Charged" engine?

Is there a difference between a Super Charged engine and a Turbo charged engine. I'm looking at a 99 Buick Regal GS which has a 3.8l "Super Charged" engine. Is that the same thing as Turbo Charged, where the air is forced into the intake?

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

yes, theres a difference.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

supercharger is air forced by the blade being turned by a serpentine belt from the engine.

turbo charged is a blade being turned by air from the headers [no the exhaust isn't entering the engine, just powering the turbo]

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    supercharger is air forced by the blade being turned by a serpentine belt from the engine.

turbo charged is a blade being turned by air from the headers [no the exhaust isn't entering the engine, just powering the turbo]
    Interesting - so that it sounds like a "Supercharger" would have a more constant (or at least predictable) power curve with a greater parasitic loss (since it is pulling power from the engine at a constand rate), but a Turbo charger would have less parasitic loss (primarily powered from the exhast), but a much steeper power curve - power increasing exponentially.

Am I over thinking this?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Thats where turbo lag comes from

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Interesting - so that it sounds like a "Supercharger" would have a more constant (or at least predictable) power curve with a greater parasitic loss (since it is pulling power from the engine at a constand rate), but a Turbo charger would have less parasitic loss (primarily powered from the exhast), but a much steeper power curve - power increasing exponentially.

Am I over thinking this?
    no you pretty much got it

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Basically, superchargers provide fixed boost at all rpms. Turbos increase boost as the rpms rise. Both setups can be adjusted and calibrated differently but in simplistic form that is the premise.

Dragsters use superchargers for a fixed rate of forced induction.

Superchargers typically have more parasitic loss. Turbos typically have some lag before they kick in. This all just information that is "general" in accuracy.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

impulse blue
    06 GTO

great cars. I had a 00 Regal GSE. Look it up on kbb to get a value. I called mine the flying couch, smooth and fast. About 240hp.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by flat-top View Post
    great cars. I had a 00 Regal GSE. Look it up on kbb to get a value. I called mine the flying couch, smooth and fast. About 240hp.
    Yea - the funny thing is I'm looking for a 'first car' for my daughter, and a friend of my Brother-in-law has a 99 Buick Regal GS with 110,000 that he just wants to get rid of. He'd probably give it to me for less than 2k. He was given a 2006 Audi A6 and doesn;t want to deal with the hassle of selling the Buick- It needs detailing and brakes, but everything else is in perfect working order. My wife and daughter will HATE it, but I figure she is just going to run into things for the next two years anyway, so why buy her something 'cute' (as she puts it). I think a big old nasty Buick is just perfect. It's fully loaded too - (premium wheels, auto-dimming rear view mirror, heated leather seats, dual-zone AC/Heat, Adjustable suspension, 6 speaker Monsoon AM/FM CD (ok - that may have to go), Sun roof, Tire Pressure Sensor, Traction Control, ABS. Everything.

The Supercharged engine is a plus for me - except there are more things that can go wrong and the engine will be harder to work on because everything will be wedged in pretty tight.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

how does an old buick have all those new features???

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yea - the funny thing is I'm looking for a 'first car' for my daughter, and a friend of my Brother-in-law has a 99 Buick Regal GS with 110,000 that he just wants to get rid of. He'd probably give it to me for less than 2k. He was given a 2006 Audi A6 and doesn;t want to deal with the hassle of selling the Buick- It needs detailing and brakes, but everything else is in perfect working order. My wife and daughter will HATE it, but I figure she is just going to run into things for the next two years anyway, so why buy her something 'cute' (as she puts it). I think a big old nasty Buick is just perfect. It's fully loaded too - (premium wheels, auto-dimming rear view mirror, heated leather seats, dual-zone AC/Heat, Adjustable suspension, 6 speaker Monsoon AM/FM CD (ok - that may have to go), Sun roof, Tire Pressure Sensor, Traction Control, ABS. Everything.

The Supercharged engine is a plus for me - except there are more things that can go wrong and the engine will be harder to work on because everything will be wedged in pretty tight.
    tell her when she's talkin on the phone and gets in an accident she'll be safer in the big ugly buick than in the cute little car, worked for my fiance

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

how does an old buick have all those new features???
    Well, it is a '99, so I guess it isn't that old - The Auto-dimming mirror and tire pressure sensor surprised me, but the rest have been around for some time now.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ohhhhh it's a 99....my bad, i'm sorry. i read 89

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

ohhhhh it's a 99....my bad, i'm sorry. i read 89
    Lol...so did I...but then again, I was surprised when my '85 El Camino had power windows and locks *shrug*

Thread Information