Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

Who has emissions checks?

Is anyone else in a state that has firly strict emission testing? I'm in Seattle, I moved from Michigan where they don't car as long as its an American car I'm just wondering what changes I can make without having to put them back every 2 years or that they really won't notice.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Luckily I have lived in Colorado Most of my life, living in non-Emison's county's. Thank god. I feel for you guys Having to deal with it.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

yea it sucks, here in cali its the worst!! is it emissions and visual? if theres no visual then you can get LT's small cam
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

From what I've seen, if I go with ls6 style heads, medium cam & keep cats in the true duals, It should be ok. I still can't remove the air pump though. We don't have visuals and was hoping for something I could easily rig back on.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

if its odb testing, you dont even need cats. just have it properly tuned
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

NJ

we have a sniffer on cars older than 1996 but just OBD any year after. my old truck got sniffered and failed every two years.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

NC, it is an obd scan for 96 and newer, and on anything older it is just a safety inspection. i usualy get my 91 cherokee inspected without it being at the inspection station

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    yea it sucks, here in cali its the worst!! is it emissions and visual? if theres no visual then you can get LT's small cam
    cali emissions sucks!!! Im moving to Oklahoma in a few weeks, no inspections no emissions woo hooo!

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

we have emission checks in my area, but not for my camaro! i certainly love having the car registered as a collector car. collector cars are exempt.

Ghettosled brings up a good point. Here in Ohio if you live in a county that has e checks (I don't,,,, thank god) Ohio does offer collector tags for cars of low production or that show any type of collectability. These tags exempt you of any testing,,,,,although technically they are also supposed to be limited to fair weather driving,,,,,not for daily transportation.

Ohio only goes back 25 years,,,,and testing is the same for all cars,,,sniffers and visuals. They stop at 25 years because after that,,,here in Ohio anything over 25 years is considered historical,,,,and you can then purchase a historical tag,,good for the life of the car and never has to be renewed again,,,,pretty cool stuff.

Now just last year our lovely state removed testing all together from the South West area of Ohio,,,and I originally thought this was state wide,,,,I wasn't aware you guys up in Cleveland were still testing. Sorry to hear that.

In any event,,,,,I would check into the laws where you are moving,,,,how they test,,,,even or odd years, every 2 years,,,,,whether or not they offer special license plates to exempt you from testing and things like that.

Sometimes they require that you have a registered daily driver before they issue you a tag like this.....and this isn't a problem,,,,just get yourself a cheap $500 beater,,,,tag it and your good to go....

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I live on Ohio too. (Parma Heights) and I have to get tested. It sucks big time. Major hassle but i want collectors plates so bad. Idk if i can get them though. My car doesnt have cats so i gotta get it tuned over winter and get the 02 turned off and tac weld some shields on to pass the mirror check.

silver
    2000 trans am

i live in il. and i do a race car exemption every 2 years.i just take pics of the cars and mail them in with the form and they have approved 3 of my cars.it works well.before i found out about this the cars never passed.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by rawy2000 View Post
    i live in il. and i do a race car exemption every 2 years.i just take pics of the cars and mail them in with the form and they have approved 3 of my cars.it works well.before i found out about this the cars never passed.
    just have your ecu tuned and youll pass.
    im from il also and pass odb

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    From what I've seen, if I go with ls6 style heads, medium cam & keep cats in the true duals, It should be ok. I still can't remove the air pump though. We don't have visuals and was hoping for something I could easily rig back on.
    Why can't you remove the air pump if they don't have a visual check?

I love Tennessee, no emissions testing in my area. If we had it here than I do not think we would have a handfull of cars and trucks on the road.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Here in Maryland we have them every two years, but Inspection is only done when you first bring it to the state.

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

Won't that richen up the exhaust? I though they were to pump air to dilute it?

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Why can't you remove the air pump if they don't have a visual check?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No inspections whatsoever here in Indpls.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
    we have emission checks in my area, but not for my camaro! i certainly love having the car registered as a collector car. collector cars are exempt.

correct me im wrong, but you can only drive so many miles a year right?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Technically speaking,,,,no. They do not check, log or document mileage for the collector or the historical tags, (they are different types of tags here in Ohio)

They used to send paperwork with them that stated these words......."For recreational use only" but in no way did it say how much. Now you can take that many different ways but in general this means the car is not to be used for daily transportation to and from work.

In my eyes, over the last 30 years of having these tags I viewed this as fair weather driving for pleasure, going to the park, taking the family out to dinner etc.....not necessarily a "car related" function. I have never had a problem with this reasoning.

To top this off,,,,I have been pulled over for many things over the years in cars registered with these tags,,,,and I have never been questioned once about the tag issue,,,,they are more concerned with writing high dollar tickets for speeding and other things.

To add more confusion,,,,when you register your car as historical (25 years or older) you have the option to run model year plates here in Ohio. You fill out your paperwork with an original model year tag (usually found at swap meets) and you are allowed to remove the historical plates, (but they must be kept in the car) and then install model year plates,,,pretty cool stuff. I have 3 cars this way,,,,they never have to be renewed again.

The only problem I have had with these plates is the fact that they don't use any stickers with dates etc...(as they didn't do that back then anyway) and I do get the occasional cop that pulls me over asking why or how I was able to leagally install model year plates with no county display or renewal date. Yes there are even State Troopers here in Ohio that have pulled me over and have never seen this before, even though it's been available since as long as I can remember,,,anyway,,,,I carry the paperwork in the car with the affidavid that shows the car registered with the model plates etc.....it makes the traffic stop much easier, I can then get on my way much faster. It happens to me about 2-3 times each summer. No big deal. Other than that I have had no problems,,,if you even consider this little hickup a problem. It's more of a lack of knowledge on the officers part.

Thread Information