Red
    2001 ws6

starting the car for first time in over a year and a half

whats up guys, havent posted on here in forever along with not starting my car in forever haha. Shes been sitting for a little of a year and a half, oct of 2011 and hasnt been started, battery died and i got busy with other things and the car has been out of sight out of mind but ive been itching to drive it again now that things are settling down. Just wondering what you guys would check/change before driving it around again. Im going to change the oil before i drive it and get new tires (theyre the original tires that came on the car still only 20k miles) Anything else i should be worried about/change before i start her up and start driving her again? Hope everyones been good!!!!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What worries me the most is the dead battery. These cars are completely computer driven and your will have to relearn alot. A battery tender is a cheap insurance policy for this issue. If it has been stored inside away from the weather you are in better shape. I would flush the brake system and the cooling system. Check the P/S fluid and if it is an A4 change the trans fluid and filter. The gas is another issue. How much fuel was in the tank when it was stored. Drain what you can and replace the fuel filter then put in a large bottle of Techron and fill with fresh 93 octane. After the new batter is installed and all the other stuff is done, crank it over. It is going to run rough at first because it has to relearn a lot of stuff. Look for leaks and Let it warm up to normal operating temp. then take it for a ride. Be easy on it at first and break it in slowly. After a full tank of gas your computers should be ok. Refill with 93 octane and another large bottle of Techron and you should be good to go.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Like Keith said, it'll probably run like crap when she first fires off and may stumble and die. Things will settle in, but the year and half old gas won't be helping things. Get some good stuff in their pronto and run the Techron like he recommended. BTW -- welcome back!

I would pull the plugs out and pour in some marvel mystery oil in each spark plug port and and some into the fuel tank with fresh fuel and once you get it started I would change all fluids and spark plugs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Careful. Pouring oil into the cylinders and then cranking it over with the plugs installed can do damage. Fluid does not compress and if you overdo it you can create a problem. If you ever do "pour oil into the cylinders" be sure to crank it with the plugs removed and allow time for the excess oil to drain past the ring gaps before starting it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Careful. Pouring oil into the cylinders and then cranking it over with the plugs installed can do damage. Fluid does not compress and if you overdo it you can create a problem. If you ever do "pour oil into the cylinders" be sure to crank it with the plugs removed and allow time for the excess oil to drain past the ring gaps before starting it.

Good point. I have seen the results of hydrolock and it is not a pretty sight.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I agree. Take the spark plugs out and go pick up some new ones and some marvel mystery oil. Pour a little in each hole and unplug the fuel pump and coils then turn the engine over a few times. After this pour a little more in and let it sit. while its sitting over night or a couple days I'd drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter and change the oil. Add some fresh 93 to the tank and spin it over to get all the marvel oil out then reconnect everything and fire it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sorry your right forgot to mention crank over with plugs out until it spits it all out then install plugs and crank

Red
    2001 ws6

thanks for the tips guys, im hoping to get her started next weekened, ill let everyone know how it goes!!!

Thread Information