Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Change oil light?

Hye guys just bought a 2002 ws6 after a few days of havign the car i changed the oil to penzoil platinum...about a week later my change oil light came on and a little after driving it clicks off...i checked the oil and for leaks everything seemed fine im not sure if the light needs to be reset or if the sensor keeps going on and off ocne i start the car it stays on for about a mile if that and goes off is that normal or do i ahve to reset the light...the car runs great my oil pressure is perfect i kno i ahve oil in the car so im not to concerned but has this happened to anyone else? where is the reset button for the light i didnt see it on the drivers side panel?

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

You have to reset it. It is a timed light that lets you know when to change the oil but I’m sure most of us change it before it comes on or like you, change it and it comes on later. You need to put the key in and turn it to "run" but don’t start the car. Then hold the trip odometer for like 12-15 seconds and you will see the light blink. This will reset the timer. Just get in the habit of doing this every time you change the oil so it won’t come on anymore.

maple red
    2000 trans am

Yea its normal you just need to restart the light,

turn ur key to on not start, hold ur break and push the trip button untill the oil change light starts blinking, its been a while since ive done it but i think that should be it

hope it helps

maple red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    You have to reset it. It is a timed light that lets you know when to change the oil but I’m sure most of us change it before it comes on or like you, change it and it comes on later. You need to put the key in and turn it to "run" but don’t start the car. Then hold the trip odometer for like 12-15 seconds and you will see the light blink. This will reset the timer. Just get in the habit of doing this every time you change the oil so it won’t come on anymore.
    beat me to it

It's the GM oil life system, it comes on anywhere between 3-10K miles depending on how the car is driven. Another way to reset it is to turn the key to run and depress the gas pedal to the floor three times. It's in the owners manual - if you didn't get one with the car let us know and we'll give you a link for a free one.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Mine came on this weekend,just turn the car off,turn the key to acc,and hold the trip odometer reset for about 13 seconds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Thumbs up

Thank u all veyr much worked like a charm how easy and simple it was im lookin in the panels and everything tryin to find a reset button works so much easier on the odometer...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah, you look all over for the damn reset buttons until you learn how to do it, eh? I think this is one thing the government should mandate, a simple 3 step stomp on the accelerator pedal with the key on engine off to reset the oil change reminder light. You shoud see some of the shit you have to go thru to reset Nissans or some Fords LOL. Some have separate resets for the oil filter!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yeah, you look all over for the damn reset buttons until you learn how to do it, eh? I think this is one thing the government should mandate, a simple 3 step stomp on the accelerator pedal with the key on engine off to reset the oil change reminder light. You shoud see some of the shit you have to go thru to reset Nissans or some Fords LOL. Some have separate resets for the oil filter!
    Yeah no shit. Ever try a Mercedes, BMW, or SmartCar? They are just about impossible.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^We laugh to ourselves and tell them to "see dealer". Some Volvos are like that too, go thru a 5 step process and make sure you hold the correct button (which sometimes is not easily explained) the correct amount of time or you start all over again!!! I hate it when some newb at the shop asks me how to do it. How do they think I learned? Read the owners manual/Mitchell/dedicated reset book.

Glad I've never had a Smart (Stupid?) car in the shop, not sure if our lifts will go that small. There are a lot running around here, it was funny because after the gas went from $4.25/gallon back under $2, the news outlets were reporting the people who put down payments on the cars were now refusing delivery LOL.

what is the price of gas there ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Just bought some Shell 93 octane V-Power today, it was 2.72. How about in San Dog?

DAR05GTO

Question Engine Oil Light

I have a 2005 GTO and I changed my oil a while back. The other day as I was driving the Service Engine Oil light came on. I can not seem to reset it via the owners manual instructions by turning the key on and pressing the gas pedal down twice within 5 seconds. The system chimes Check Engine Oil System each time I turn the car on. There is oil in the system and it is not overheating. How do I reset the system or is there something else wrong.

Thanks

DAR05GTO

Reset GM Oil Life System - Manual In Error.

I found this on the internet if any GTO owners have this problem as the manual is wrong, 3 times on the pedal DID work:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your GTO has an Oil Life System incorporated into its computer. While the computer thinks it knows when you should have your oil changed chances are you use the motor as it was intended. So we recommend that you check your oil often and change it every 3,000 miles depending on driving and racing habits.

This is the reset info for that system, which is located in your owners manual.

How to Reset the Service Engine Oil message

The GM Oil Life System calculates when to change
    your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime
    your oil is changed, reset the system so it can
    calculate when the next oil change is required. If a
    situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a
    Service Engine Oil message being turned on, reset the
    system.

After changing the engine oil, reset the system by
    performing the following steps:

1. With the engine off, turn the ignition key to ON.

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly
    two times within five seconds.

This is an error and really should be press and
    release accelerator pedal slowly three times within
    five seconds.

3. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the Service Engine Oil message comes back on
    when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life
    system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by DAR05GTO View Post
    I have a 2005 GTO and I changed my oil a while back. The other day as I was driving the Service Engine Oil light came on. I can not seem to reset it via the owners manual instructions by turning the key on and pressing the gas pedal down twice within 5 seconds. The system chimes Check Engine Oil System each time I turn the car on. There is oil in the system and it is not overheating. How do I reset the system or is there something else wrong.

Thanks
    You do want to keep track of your mileage since you last did the oil change.

The oil life system doesn't actually do a sample of the oil, it just keeps track of things like eng temp on start-up, RPM at what engine temp, how long the engine was driven while up to temp, and others. So, this monitor now thinks you just changed the oil, but as you state, you didn't just do it the other day.

Now, change your oil at 3K/6 months from your last LOF, and then reset the monitor then whether or not (it most likely won't be on since you've driven a bit) the reminder is on, you can reset the monitor anytime.

Thread Information