Thread: Stroker's

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Stroker's

Soo i am planning on strokin the camaro to a 383... what needs to be done...

Buy the Kit..

Take engine out..

Have engine shop work on engine for 383 Stroker...

put together stroker...

and such...

anything else??

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

and oh ya i have built engines before including strokers... just not on a aluminum block..

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Im wanting to go stroker aswell. Either a 396 or a 383. Haven't made up my mind yet, whats the opinions of the group. Will be a DD, M6.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

What other MODs you got?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I am curious too. I just retired the 02 WS6 last year to summer/weekend duties. I'm doing a gentle resto on it now and have plans to stroke the LS1 to a 383 within the next year or so. I'm more interested in recommendations on reputable speed shops to do the work and I want to start getting a ball park estimate on how much the setup is really going to cost me.

I'd like to keep my current block for nostalgia, stroke the motor and run a fairly aggressive heads/cam setup on it. It's an A4 with just light bolt-ons right now. Looking for about 550hp at the crank. Anyone have any input?

Thanks.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by See Me In My GTP View Post
    I am curious too. I just retired the 02 WS6 last year to summer/weekend duties. I'm doing a gentle resto on it now and have plans to stroke the LS1 to a 383 within the next year or so. I'm more interested in recommendations on reputable speed shops to do the work and I want to start getting a ball park estimate on how much the setup is really going to cost me.

I'd like to keep my current block for nostalgia, stroke the motor and run a fairly aggressive heads/cam setup on it. It's an A4 with just light bolt-ons right now. Looking for about 550hp at the crank. Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
    I would suggest more than "light bolt-ons"...
    Def gonna wanna let your car breathe better w/ aggressive heads & cam.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    I would suggest more than "light bolt-ons"...
    Def gonna wanna let your car breathe better w/ aggressive heads & cam.
    I understand...I was referring to the current setup I have. I have been saving to rebuild the motor, add headers and a torque converter all at once. The setup of the car now will have almost nothing in common with my future plans. I was hoping to get a better idea of what a typical 383 stroker setup costs on an LS1 motor and if anyone has had good experience with any shops. Thanks for the response though.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt 550ish to the cranks about 500ish to the wheels? If so, ur gonna need a hell of a H/C setup, or maybe stroke it out a bit more possibly 396. Stall, rearend, and gears are gonna eat up a lot of power but dont let it get to ya.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Skip the 383.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Skip the 383.
    Word, if u wanna make 500 to the wheels all motor, ur gonna need more cubes. Start looking at 402,408,427 etc...

black
    1999 z28 camaro

Hey guys hows it going? I'm actually doing the same thing to my ls1. I have done some research on this for sometime now.. If you have the same engine as I do, which is the 346 ls1 engine, the biggest stroker kit you can get would be the 382 or 383.. Ive seen lunati's stroker kit by far the most expensive than the other two that Ive look at. Eagle and scat ranging from about $1300- $2200 and $3200-$3800 for the lunati.. From the research I've done the 382 stroker is not a good investment unless you have a very very low mileage ls1 engine dont know why.. It is possible to go with a bigger stroker kit on this engine if you have the money of course by resleeving and of course finding a machine shop that has done this on an aluminum block. I have not made up my mind but Iam close and its between Eagle and Lunati. I'm sure there are others that do stroker kits so look around... The thing stopping me on these 2 kits is price and the saying "you get what you pay for" so I just might have to do a coin flip and hope all goes well.. The difference between my stroker kit and some of you alls is that I need low compression on my stroker engine since I will be going with an APS twin turbo setup... Well hope this helps some of you guys there are some links that guys give you in this forum if you search for ls1 stroker kits...

black
    1999 z28 camaro

Thread Information