Black
    1995 Firebird

Thinking of switching majors...input needed

I've been thinking of switching majors (currently a Criminal Justice major) to possibly to my hobby of Automotive Paint...yeah different field completely. I'd like to hear from people in both fields on how you enjoy your work life, pay, personal life, etc.

I sometimes feel like law enforcement, if I go that route I don't plan on just being a regular cop, would be cool, but at the same time I dislike the fact of pretty much having to be "Good". Yeah I know there are some corrupt cops/etc who still do f'ed up shit (even simple excessive speeding or racing), but I personally wouldn't do it if was one as that's hypocritical. On the other hand automotive paint seems really sweet to me as I have a high interest in cars, but I feel like doing it day after day may suck and/or pay may be bad...so enlighten me.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    I've been thinking of switching majors (currently a Criminal Justice major) to possibly to my hobby of Automotive Paint...yeah different field completely. I'd like to hear from people in both fields on how you enjoy your work life, pay, personal life, etc.

I sometimes feel like law enforcement, if I go that route I don't plan on just being a regular cop, would be cool, but at the same time I dislike the fact of pretty much having to be "Good". Yeah I know there are some corrupt cops/etc who still do f'ed up shit (even simple excessive speeding or racing), but I personally wouldn't do it if was one as that's hypocritical. On the other hand automotive paint seems really sweet to me as I have a high interest in cars, but I feel like doing it day after day may suck and/or pay may be bad...so enlighten me.
    I'm thinking about switching majors too. I've always wanted to do Law Enforcement stuff but I went to college and ending up as a History and Secondary Education major which would basically make me into a high school history teacher. As I'm taking these Education Degree classes, I've found that teaching sucks and I really dont want to go that route anymore. So now I'm changing to a History major and Crime, Law, and Society minor because we dont have a Criminal Justice major here or anything similar. I really like working on cars too but like you said, I wouldnt want to do it day in and day out and risk loosing the joy in it. I've known a few guys that have become mechanics but hate working on their own cars because it's what they do at work all they. They just dont want to keep working on cars after work. But on the other hand, I've known mechanics who love what they do and still love working on cars on the weekends. I guess it just boils down to your own preferences.

You said you werent planning on being a regular cop. What kind of cop would you be, like K9 or SWAT or Bomb Squad or what? I'm looking into the SWAT program or possible transfer to the FBI after a while.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I think a bakground in criminology os a good thing to have. I have a buddy who is a geek and a detective so he makes a boatload of money doing data forensics for law firms. He makes so much money that he could have retired a decade ago if he had wanted...

Let me put it this way, if you make enough money you can enjoy all the interests you can think of. I suspect that unless you are exceptionally talented, well connected, and a bit lucky, that you will have a difficult time earning enough revenue in automotive paint to be able to retire early.

Perhaps combining your interest in automobiles and criminology with technology might be a way to specialize and improve your income potential while enjoying both your primary interests?

Plus, people change over the years... I have been a project manager in the field of heavy construction, taught downhill skiing, worked as a marketing consultant, designed and build computer network and phone systems, done technical articles for IT magazines, drag raced (with sponsors), and performed weddings as a wedding officiant. I have no idea what I will do next. Oh yea.. My majors were english and religion.
    Last edited by tnthub; 11-15-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Is there a 'Automotive Painting' major in college?

I don't think that the Crimal Justice degree will be of any greater value when applying for a local Law Enforcement job. All they want to see is a degree - any degree. Once accpeted, they will teach you everything you need to know. A good friend of mine is in local law enforcement (county police) and he says that they really don't care, or give preference for Criminal Justice majors. All that matters is how you score on the enterance exam, which is more of an IQ test. It is not a test on Law Enforcement. All you need to take the test is a college degree. (you have to take a fitness test as well).

If you really think you would like a different career (automotive painting) I'd say pursure that, knowing that if you change you mind a month before graduation, you can still apply, sucessfully, with local law enforcement.

Federal Law enforcement is a different story, but again, they are not looking for a Criminal Justice Degrees. FBI wants Accounting, Law, and Computer Science majors. ATF wants engineering majors and science degrees. CBP (Customs and Boarder Protection) and ICE (Immigration and Customs Ennforcement) want Language and accounting majors. I've worked (as a contractor) for all four and can tell you they prefer you learn all the Law and Criminal justice stuff from their Academies.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easy answer: Do what makes you happy. After starting out in mechanical engineering, I switched colleges and majors my sophomore year to pursue Criminal Justice Administration. That was 24 or so years ago and never had any regrets about the change of plans.

Thread Information