Black
    97 Trans am

Fuel Pump Pump Problem?????? Help!

Hi guys; I am having a problem with my sons 97 T/ A since we brought it out from winter storage last week. It will run at idle for ever, great fuel pressure, spark until he drives away about 2 miles and it shuts off like it runs out of gas. almost like the alarm system kicked in. It will then only crank not start. If we wait about 10 minutes it will start and the process starts all over again.
    We replaced the Distributor last year and added a msd 6 box, headers, shift kit, hyper charger system , 3.73 gears car runs great if we could keep it off the tow truck any ideas? it seems to be getting intermttent spark. I havent replaced the fuel pump relay. i can hear the pump working when we turn the car on. put a fuel pressure gauge on and it is getting plenty of pressure. I am going crazy. everyone says its the fuel pump. I hate to replace the pump if it could be something i am overlooking. Help!!!!!

Thanks in advance. will be waiting for some responses.

George (Undertakers T/A )

does it have fuel pressure when it won't start?if it does then its not a fuel problem.when it refuses to start there are a few things to check,spark,fuel pressure and fuel injector pulse.1st you need spark,then fuel.check this and post back.

Black
    97 Trans am

when it dies.it has pressure. it has no spark or injec. pulse. when the motor cools it then has spark, and injector pulse and will start. plenty of pressure 61. but when the motor heats up it will die. i have been looking at the manual if the crank sensor goes bad the car will lose spark intermittently could this be the problem??

thanks for the quick response
    George

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Make sure the plug that goes into the top of the optispark is plugged in good and the coil plug also. Crankshaft position sensor is suspect as well.

Black
    97 Trans am

thanks for the response. the coil and plug are in tight. i will now try the crank pos. sensor do u have anyi dea where it is in relation to the crank itself the mech. book says 1/2 hr labor must be somewhere easy to reach? I talked to a friend i race with about ten minutes ago and he feels its the crank sensor going bad. i will try and let u know thanks again.

george

Thread Information