black
    1998 Camaro SS

replace lifters? 98 knock sensors?

i called and talked to a guy at ls1customtuning which is a ls1 tuning shop in Columbus, ohio. i talked to him about getting a dyno tune and the mods im putting on. He told me that i should really try to replace the lifters with ls7 lifters because my car has 100k. He also says that on the 98 ls1's the knock sensors seem to go bad very often and that i should replace those as well. Also im getting ready to install my heads/cam setup. ive heard both ways either use engine oil or assembly lube. what do you guys think?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

You dont have to change lifters but if youre going to have the heads off you might aswell do the lifters at the same time. About the knock sensors, the 98's had some overly sensitive ones, so you might go ahead and replace those with newer model ones, but you have to swap out the sensor harness because they attach differently, but thats real easy to do, the harness unplugs right at the back of the motor. I would just use engine oil on the cam, our cams are rollers so you dont really have to worry about breaking it in or wiping a lobe out, like you do with conventional flat tappets. Hope this helps
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya it does help i appreciate it. Im just trying to get as much knowlege, info, tips, ANYTHING that can help. i want to do this right and i dont have much experience with performance parts or engine work in general. i wanna replace everything but thats very $$$$. already spend around 5500 for cam, heads,intake, throttle body, injectors,fuel pump, nitrous, subframe, valvetrain, strut brace, etc.....

Anything else you would suggest for this install?
    I should be sitting around 400-440 w/o spray and around 500 w/spray.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    i called and talked to a guy at ls1customtuning which is a ls1 tuning shop in Columbus, ohio. i talked to him about getting a dyno tune and the mods im putting on. He told me that i should really try to replace the lifters with ls7 lifters because my car has 100k. He also says that on the 98 ls1's the knock sensors seem to go bad very often and that i should replace those as well. Also im getting ready to install my heads/cam setup. ive heard both ways either use engine oil or assembly lube. what do you guys think?
    Just go with assembly lube. It offers better protection than regular oil does on startup, there are no downsides at all.

If you're pulling the heads, might as well get the LS7 lifters as well. Knock sensors I woudn't worry about as much, but if you feel like swapping them, it wouldn't hurt.

black
    2000 camaro ss

id change em while its tore down along with new lifter trays. i got mine from lingenfelter (cheapest i found) i think it was like 100 bucks or so ac delco ls7's . the trays i got from ws6 store 7 bucks or so (it takes 4 of them).

black
    2000 camaro ss

the knock sensors is something i wouldnt worry about. its not that hard to pull the intake later need be. I used comp break in oil additive (only because they threw it in with the cam). I went with lingenfelter heads and the gt11 cam setup and kevin @ lmp said that all they ever use is oil on there camshaft swaps. but just as wesman said above its not gonna hurt.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Just go with assembly lube. It offers better protection than regular oil does on startup, there are no downsides at all.

If you're pulling the heads, might as well get the LS7 lifters as well. Knock sensors I woudn't worry about as much, but if you feel like swapping them, it wouldn't hurt.
    BUT remember, you will need to change/adjust pushrod length to 7.350 if you go from stock ls1 to newer ls7 lifters. There is a difference in lifter height......

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Thread Information