Thread: Painting HELP!!

silver
    1998 bmw z3

Painting HELP!!

Ok trying to paint fender and door on this 01 T/A I am not an experianced painter my brother whos car it is is going to school for it however its not seeming to work out. We are using dupont chroma base 99k black base coat mixed 1:1 with chroma system base maker mid temp reducer garage temp is cool around 50degrees after spraying fender paint looks great in some spots but in others im going to call it blistering but not sure if thats what it is. it appears to have like a sandpaper finish and is duller than parts it went on good. what ever it is its not smooth. We are using a bluepoint spray gun which we used once before without problems. i have pics but i am having a hard time figureing out how to get it on here will try again but if anyone has any idea what i talking about please let me know what im doing wrong

silver
    1998 bmw z3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25498864@N07/2402931700/
    The orange cutlass we painted flawlessley why cant it work twice??

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

im not an expert but it sounds like impurities inthe paint, or improper cleaning in the gun, or improper prepping/cleaning of the material.. but i am probably wrong on all three

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

may be trash in the paint or gun from the last use, it also could be something on the panel itself, right before you spray anything wipe it down with a wax and grease remover, NEVER use the thinner, people do this and it is a mistake, you never clean with something that can dilute what you are applying,, and then use a tack cloth. The rough finish and smooth finish may be caused by your spraying technique, you must keep the gun at the same distance and parallel the whole way across the panel, making sure to squeeze the trigger before you paint the panel and let go of the trigger after you have passed the edge. the rough could also be caused from too much air pressure going to the gun on my hvlp I use 30-35 lbs after going through two filters. different paints are applied in different manners, make absolutely sure you are mixing the paint and reducer and hardeners exactly as the man. reccomends. Hope this helps

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i would say its either improper cleaning of the surface or gun or it could to be the low temp. match your reducer to the temp and humidity. cool temp get fast reducer , medium temp medium reducer, high humidity fast reducer, etc. is this the clear or the base thats has the problem? i know i usually have this problem with base in jambs, which hold greases and dirt. i just clean with prep and tack cloth as many times as possible. if its the clear and its just rough, id say your just not puttin it on thick enough or its dryin before its hittin the surface (goes back to reducer speed)

silver
    1998 bmw z3

thanks for your help guys im gonna give it another go tonight and see what happens. The gun not being cleaned properly is a good possibility i had gun wash in the gun still from over 6 months ago when i used it last then just washed it out real fast. I did however use the wax grease remover prior to painting not thinner and the line pressure was set at about 35psi well do it again and see what happens

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Looking forward to hearing the results from ya!

silver
    1998 bmw z3

painting will be postponed again. decided to resand everything down the fenders were previously painted and the paint was not sticking to paint underneath took down to first base coat and will try painting this weekend

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Had the same exact problem painting my car. This would happen to me whenever it was a little cooler outside. Obviously you should get reducer for the current temp, but in my case adding a touch more reducer and constantly mixing it (swirling) in the gun seems to work every time. Good luck man, I feel for ya having to sand all that hard work off.

Thread Information