Thread: Running Rich

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Running Rich

Just finished heads, intake, injector, cam, long tube install. I set the injector slope with my Predator(saving up for HPT). After the car warms up, I run the Real Time Data on the Diabloa and my stft are running wild. One bank will start at 1-2 then spike up to 25 for a short time, then go back to 2-5. Then the other bank will do the same, but they alternate. I've read all the threads that point to a gas leak, so I welded the whole system. I see/hear/feel no leaks. Also, I've checked all the vacuum lines that are still connected. No leaks there either. Only codes I am showing are Absolute Intake Pressure, and sometimes a bank 1 O2 heater. That one is incosistent. It doesn't always show. I would automatically assume it was a bad O2, if the numbers weren't swapping back and forth. I can't even swap the O2's side to side to test. Any thoughts?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Almost seems hopeless trying to diagnose a car that isn't even tuned. I'm not sure I wanna even make a suggestion...but I'll ponder this for a while and let you know if I can think of something

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Almost seems hopeless trying to diagnose a car that isn't even tuned. I'm not sure I wanna even make a suggestion...but I'll ponder this for a while and let you know if I can think of something
    I understand that it won't be right with just the Diablo, but i figured once the injector slope was set it would at least be consistant. I can't understand why the rich numbers would jump from side to side.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i dont think it is even worth messing with until you get a real tune.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    I understand that it won't be right with just the Diablo, but i figured once the injector slope was set it would at least be consistant. I can't understand why the rich numbers would jump from side to side.
    Yeah but there are just SO many factors into engine fueling.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yeah but there are just SO many factors into engine fueling.
    Yeah, I guess i'm still too new this electronic crap. I'm used to the old fuel, spark, and go cars. Frost shipped my HPT pro yesterday, so I should have a log on this thing by mid week.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Be sure to read the PCM and save the current tune as a starting point. There's lots of good demos on the HP Tuners site on how to do things. Another option is to request a new base tune from Frost for a similarly outfitted engine -- that will at least put you in the ballpark and the car should run decent enough (barring mechanical or electrical issues) to start logging things.

Red

What I was going to do is revert to the factory tune in the diablo, and save that. That way I would have that if I every changed back to a mild cam and smaller injectors. I looked through the tune repository(depository?) and couldn't find anything that would be close. I assume Frost has many more options than that. Is it a full file, or just certain cfg files that need to ne changed?

Thread Information