Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Hand Guns with No Slide Release

Any of you guys using one...? Im looking at a hand gun that doesnt have one but I've never owned a handgun that does not have a slide release...shouldnt be a big deal, just looking for opinions on what you like and done like about it.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

You mean the slide stop and the slide release button that closes the slide? If so I didn't even know they made handguns anymore without a slide release button. I know lots of people prefer the "slingshot" method over using the release button but I thought all modern semi-autos have them.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You mean the slide stop and the slide release button that closes the slide? If so I didn't even know they made handguns anymore without a slide release button. I know lots of people prefer the "slingshot" method over using the release button but I thought all modern semi-autos have them.
    yep. thats exactly what I'm referring to.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray

As you said it isn't a big deal as many shooters, especially lefties use the slingshot method even on firearms with the slide release. This method is even slightly more reliable for chambering rounds than using the button but it isn't as fast IMO... if you are right handed and the button is easily reached by your thumb. With the button you can be reloading the mag with one hand and almost instantly hit the button with the other and that is faster than having to put the mag in, then moving your hand to the slide, pulling it back and let it close. They are all very minor things though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

that's one thing I have a gripe on Glocks. The slide release is too damn skinny. I swapped mine for a larger one . Either method is good as long as you practice it to where it becomes muscle memory. We did it for combat drills, kinda like SPORTS. See how many know what that means....

Black / White

See...I'm not a glock person. I have shot them but just don't like them. Now I love the M&P so it's not that style of gun that I'm against its just the way it feels in my hand.

I'm looking at a Walther that does not have a slide release plus I'm thinking about getting Kelsi a gun for Christmas and most of the subcompact stuff that I'm looking at for her doesn't have a release.

Navy Blue Metallic

Glock's hand grips are like that, you either love or hate 'em, and Colt 1911 frames too. I dislike Beretta's. Always felt cheap to me.

Arctic White, red/gray

Really? I thought everyone loves 1911 grips. That is why they make a few different firearms that have same width and angle grip as 1911s.

I don't like glock grips either. That is why I bought a XDM over the glock and pretty much the only reason, just the way it felt in my hand.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Black / White

Really? I thought everyone loves 1911 grips. That is why they make a few different firearms that have same width and angle grip as 1911s.

Eitherway I don't like glock grips either. That is why I bought a XDM or the glock and pretty much the only reason, just the way it felt in my hand.
    1911 is probably my favorite...which is also probably an indication to why I dont like the glock...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-11-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Hand Guns with No Slide Release

you missunderstood me. I love 1911's as well as my glock. xd's I like also. It must just be the Army's Barretta's I loath.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Glock's hand grips are like that, you either love or hate 'em, and Colt 1911 frames too. I dislike Beretta's. Always felt cheap to me.
    I have owner many hand guns over the years and the feel, balance and quality of the Colt 1911 is the best I have ever experienced. Most guns sit in your hand like it doesn't belong but I have always felt the Colt 1911 was part of my hand and belongs there. Really, I hate to put it away when I'm done shooting.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

that's one thing I have a gripe on Glocks. The slide release is too damn skinny. I swapped mine for a larger one . Either method is good as long as you practice it to where it becomes muscle memory. We did it for combat drills, kinda like SPORTS. See how many know what that means....
    I'll bet only current and former military know what that means...

I've been out of the Army for more than 35 years and I still know what it refers to.

blue
    1999 TransAm

..many of the new sub compact "mouse guns" out there tend to skimp on features like slide stop/releases... I prefer pistols with a slide stop/release.. especially a matter of range and general firearm safety, it's nice to be able to lock the slide back.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'll bet only current and former military know what that means...

I've been out of the Army for more than 35 years and I still know what it refers to.
    I've taught it too my kids.

Arctic White, red/gray

You can still lock the slide back can't you? By having a empty mag in the gun it should automatically lock the slide back.

Black / White

You can still lock the slide back can't you? By having a empty mag in the gun it should automatically lock the slide back.
    you can still lock the slide but the only way you can release it is with a magazine in the gun. At least thats how most of them work if they dont have a slide release.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I slapped a Hogue Handall over the grip on my Model 23. Much improved over the stock feel imo.

Thread Information