Silver
    98 Camaro

Figured I'd introduce my project here....

I've trolled around here for awhile and have occasionally posted here and there. Figured its time to introduce my project that I have been slowly working on for the last 18 months. I bought a 98 Y87 Camaro that was fully loaded except for leather. Car was wrecked when I bought it in February of 2009.

In about a month.. its coming off the road for the winter to get motor work completed. Mods are to include cam, headers, heads, intake,stall, and possible rear gear ratio change. Here are a few pics of the car and what is gonna transpire:

What I started with:

Where it stands as of now:

Car will also get this cam this winter... I know.. alittle extreme but I feel it'll be worth it.

Let the mayhem commence!!!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That's some lift there man..lol 01 Y87 here too.. I am very much inerested in this.. Hopefully starting my build soon too.. Just gotta finish my TT LQ1 project first.. Good luck and post up some pics if you can.. If I can help with anything I will.. Again good luck and I also think I dig those older vette wheels too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White; Navy Blue Metallic
    '01 SS Vert.;'02 RS Coupe

Anyone have a definitive list from the factory of all the specifics included in a Y87 for F-Body 01-02 timeframe? TIA!

Silver
    98 Camaro

Y87 package included the 14.4:1 steering rack, dual exit exhaust, and a limited slip differential.

^ Thanks, do you know what the standard V6 steering ratio is off-hand? How big a job is it to swap the steering rack?

As for LSD -- is it less work to upgrade the carrier or just put a new rear-end to upgrade from an open-diff?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 1LOMARO View Post
    Y87 package included the 14.4:1 steering rack, dual exit exhaust, and a limited slip differential.
    Y87 cars did not come with duals @ least not all.. My RPO is y87 extreme sport package, and did'nt include the single inlet dual outlet mufler.. My 01 was purchased @ a dealer with 26k on the clock and zero mods.. However you're correct on the steering ratio and the rear which is/was the auburn.. It is that of a z28 and/or Ta.. Suspension is also that of named lsx cars.. The dual outlet muffler may have came with the "rs" appearance package but it did NOT come on the loaded y87's that were not badged "rs".. I also thought they did come with duals.. However upon some reasearch found only sertain model y87's had duals.. Most of which are pre 1999 3800 cars..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The most significant change for year 2000 models was new tubular exhaust manifolds.

The throttle opening map was revised to prevent any throttle lag.

It is reported that many automatic cars (but not all) received the limited slip differential and 3.42 gears standard, although official GM documents state that these come only with theY87 performance package.

Y87 3800 V6 Performance Package
    For 2000 the Y87 package remained unchanged from 1999 models.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 saw a few minor changes from 2000 models.

Y87 3800 V6 Performance Package
    For 2001 the Y87 package remained unchanged from 2000 models.

Other Packages and Options
    Options and packages remained unchanged from 2000 models.

GMPP Firebird GT Components
    The components included for this year were the Extreme Sport Suspension package, Zexel-Torson LSD, stripe and badging, custom floormats, and ground effects.

The wheels were dropped from the available components as they were now the "new" WS6 wheels (with different wheel caps).

SLP Firebird GT Package
    In 2001 SLP introduced their Firebird GT as a factory available option package.

SLP Camaro RS Package
    In 2001 SLP re-introduced the Camaro RS as a factory available option package
    Package remained the same for 02 model 3800 cars..

2002 unchanged..

Silver
    98 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by libertyforall1776 View Post
    ^ Thanks, do you know what the standard V6 steering ratio is off-hand? How big a job is it to swap the steering rack?

As for LSD -- is it less work to upgrade the carrier or just put a new rear-end to upgrade from an open-diff?
    The standard steering ratio is 16.9:1 .... not sure how much work it is to swap... most say its not to bad. As far as the rear diff goes.. it really depends on whether or not your comfortable messing with tight clearances... if your not used to it... find a professional to install a carrier and gears.

Silver
    98 Camaro

Just thought I'd add alittle teaser today... the cam I have was in this car very briefly... figured y'all would wanna hear what those specs sound like!!! Its in the black firebird...

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Lance%2...d_at_idle/1309
    Last edited by 1LOMARO; 09-22-2010 at 06:04 AM.

^ Guess I don't get it, which is the car, and is there only one running in the video?

Silver
    98 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by libertyforall1776 View Post
    ^ Guess I don't get it, which is the car, and is there only one running in the video?
    Sorry... the cam that I have is the same cam used in this car... and yes... it was the only car running!! I bought the cam used.

Get that sucker painted...

Thread Information