• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 172737476364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1385

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

That is a good idea FBJ. I don't know why I didn't think of that lol. Now I just need to figure out what weight oil to use. If I should stick with stock or go a different route.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, FBJ. I will ponder this for a bit and maybe do some intrawebs sleuthing as well.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Good to hear!! I have 67,000 miles so far and the engine runs strong and hard, Im the original owner and ordered it up in `01, got it with a mere 10 miles on the OD-and have maintained it religiously.So im hoping it will last quite a while plus yes its an LS motor which seems to have admireres attention they know what an LS is capable of for sure!! Thanks-------------
    Continue to take good care of it and you'll enjoy many, many more miles of that impressively capable LS. I have 177k miles on mine. I, too, am the original owner and got it with just 7 miles on back in May 2000.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any word on the recent changes to Penzoil Platinum?
    That is my question. I had been using Penzoil Platinum for several years after getting all that good research information from Sarge on it (being a great 'bang for the buck' synthetic).

Alot has changed in the last 9 years since Sarge first started posting information about that stuff.

According to what I found and posted about back on page 66 of this thread, all your synthetics (except your Amsoils and Mobil1 extended performance) have switched over to a lesser performing group III base stock.

Post Gap is closing...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Alot has changed in the last 9 years since Sarge first started posting information about that stuff.

According to what I found and posted about back on page 66 of this thread, all your synthetics (except your Amsoils and Mobil1 extended performance) have switched over to a lesser performing group III base stock.
    Well, since companies don't outright divulge formulation, it's all speculative by the consumer.

Amsoil OE and XL product lines are Group III

Amsoil Signature Series is likely a Group IV/V

Some speculate that Mobil 1 is a Group III/IV/V blend with Extended Performance leaning more towards IV/V

As I recall, the older formula Pennzoil Platinum was formulated with Shell's XHVI base oil which was considered Group III+

Now Pennzoil Platinum is made with Shell's new Gas To Liquid (GTL) technology otherwise known as PurePlus which is still considered to be Group III+

I have to admit that the performance gap is further closing between Group III and Group IV synthetics as technology advances. This after seeing the recent numbers published on the new Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus formulation by the Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) as seen here - Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus - link

When one can walk into Walmart and buy a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus for $22.66 and get $10 dollars back with mail-in rebate, that's phenomenal value-per-dollar. As an Amsoil Dealer, kind of weird for me to be saying that.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    ... As I recall, the older formula Pennzoil Platinum was formulated with Shell's XHVI base oil which was considered Group III+

Now Pennzoil Platinum is made with Shell's new Gas To Liquid (GTL) technology otherwise known as PurePlus which is still considered to be Group III+

I have to admit that the performance gap is further closing between Group III and Group IV synthetics as technology advances. This after seeing the recent numbers published on the new Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus formulation by the Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) as seen here - Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus - link

When one can walk into Walmart and buy a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus for $22.66 and get $10 dollars back with mail-in rebate, that's phenomenal value-per-dollar. As an Amsoil Dealer, kind of weird for me to be saying that.
    This is what I was referring to in my question regarding the recent changes to Penzoil Platinum (not changes from 9 years ago), specifically the new GTL PurePlus vs the previous XHVI base oil. I knew the XHVI was considered a Group III+, but wondered if the new PurePlus was considered to be on par or had followed the trend of most synthetics and stepped down to Group III level or lower. Glad to see it has remained at its Group III+ level.

For sure, just from a cost/benefit standpoint, that deal on PP remains incredible; even more so with that mail-in rebate. Certainly, I prefer the Amsoil Signature Series since it is definitely better. I just wish I could get a similar rebate for it.

Thank you to all of you for your good information.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thank you for the clarification. If I understand this correctly, Group II is a better base stock, but none of the companies utilize this anymore? Mobil1?

I assume you meant to say Group IV Jeff. The only Mobil 1 Synthetic that is using Group IV base stocks now is the Mobil 1 Extended Performance line of oils. The other Mobil Synthetics dropped to a group III base stock as well as all other brand synthetics that I can find. So it's either Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Amsoil if you want a group IV base stock.

Now this group III+ thing that Comp Syn Mentioned just sounds to me like another way of manipulating words to make the Pensoil Platinum sound better. In a nut shell, it's still not base IV stock which according to what I read is what's needed to make these multi-viscosity oils perform properly. I have yet to find anything anywhere that contradicts what the link I provided is saying. Still digging, but nothing yet.

Here at the Walmarts around our area it's nearly $24 for a 1 gallon (4 QT) jug plus 10% tax. You may as well say over $6 a quart. Being an Amsoil preferred customer I'm paying less than a dollar more per QT and that's with tax and shipping figured in, AND I'm getting a better oil with very high Zinc content, and it's delivered right to my door. I switched all 9 vehicles over to it and extended my oil change intervals as well. I'm actually saving money in the long run.

The stuff I'm using in my Duramax is supposed to be a 25,000 mile oil or up to 1 year. Now granted I'll never rack up that many miles in a years time, but since this thing holds 10 quarts it's a huge savings for me with a "once a year" oil change interval. In that time I'll likely only rack up 4-5,000 miles, so I was throwing money away running a lesser oil and changing it more frequently Not only that but it now has an oil in it with better protection and properties that have been taken out of the other diesel oils . This is just one example of many that I have.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-29-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So the higher the group number, the better the base? I guess I had it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    So the higher the group number, the better the base? I guess I had it backwards.
    Yep, group IV being the highest rating that I know of and the best out of the bunch. With only 2 oils using it.

Mobil used to use the group IV in all their synthetics, and then dropped to a group III in everything except the extended performance line, and of course didn't tell anyone. Obviously in an attempt to manufacture oil cheaper and fatten their pockets.

Amsoil seems to be the only company to be forthcoming on this information and putting it out there for the public to read (as they should) while the other oil companies are keeping quiet.
    May sound like bias information for Amsoil to do that but when you can't find any info from the other companies that contradict it, you have to wonder. Amsoil did however report of the one line of Mobil still using group IV base stock, so it doesn't seem to me that they are trying to slander the oil companies, but rather provide information they have found.
    To add to that, Amsoil also has a line of oil that uses a group III base stock that they sell cheaper than the rest of the Amsoil line, and they are very upfront about it, not trying to hide it. Funny how Mobil didn't mention their switch to group III and even more interesting that none of their prices dropped either.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Looks like Im switching to Amsoil... I remember when I switched to to Mobil 1 in 2010 from dino oil... made a noticable difference in the smoothness of operation...

red
    2004 M6 GTO, 383 stroker

where is Sarge?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Sarge has decided to take some time off. Not sure when he'll be back.

depends on the car

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Julie13 View Post
    depends on the car

Totally agree, although I find that I am running Penzoil Platinum in most of our cars these days.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Signed up for amsoil preferred customer program and ordered their signature series for the T/A. Can't wait to try it out. They give you 2 options preferred customer for $10 for 6 months or 20 for a year which gets you 25% off or you get free shipping over a 100 if you don't want to pay for the preferred customer program. Preferred is the way to go even with the $10 I came out $15 cheaper.

You can buy by the quart or gallon or you can buy by the case 12 quarts or 4 gallons.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Yeah I became a preferred customer, actually have to renew again next month. I found that even with shipping charges, and a sales tax they charge, it was still about $1 cheaper a quart than if I were to buy it off the shelf at the local Napa.

That's if I buy it in the gallon jugs straight from Amsoil.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I've been running Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic lately

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

To you guys who are running Amsoil, how long are you waiting to change your oil? With Mobil 1 and a Wix filter I'm changing it every 5,000 miles but I can't fathom going farther than that and definitely not 25,000 on Amsoil...

Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 172737476364656667686970 LastLast

Thread Information