Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: cam too big?

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

ur really just going to be restricting power. i would do at least LT's and ypipe before going after the cam. u will gain power either way but not alot, the performance cams are typically designed to make power at higher rpm, if you arent flowing up high due to an exhaust restricting the car will fall on its face. so u will have a nasty sounding car with no balls, slow off the line and slow to finish

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

what is full bolt ons? jw

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i would say no, honestly........that thing needs to breath, especially if you are gonna do a cam and heads

black
    2001 Camaro SS

hey i got a buddy with a z06 and he wants to sell me his ls6 heads for $450...? good price? i think it'd help my cam breathe a lot up top, what kind of gains could i expect from them? Also where could i get them ported.
    Also my clutch doesn't slip right now but when i get on it or especially when i run someone it gets all mooshy by about 3rd gear. is it gonna go out soon? cause it doesn't slip yet.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    hey i got a buddy with a z06 and he wants to sell me his ls6 heads for $450...? good price? i think it'd help my cam breathe a lot up top, what kind of gains could i expect from them? Also where could i get them ported.
    Also my clutch doesn't slip right now but when i get on it or especially when i run someone it gets all mooshy by about 3rd gear. is it gonna go out soon? cause it doesn't slip yet.
    I wouldn't go to the trouble for just stock heads. You should have talked to TSP about some stage 1 ls6 PRCs. They will really wake up that 228.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

black
    2001 Camaro SS

wow i didn't realize the heads were only a thousand dollars, i mean that's not money i have right now but a thousand dollars is still alot less than i thought they'd be. I'm realizing slowly that i'll really need a clutch first before i do much more.. and i'm worried about the rear end even though i think it'll last a lot longer.
    maybe i'll just wait until i have that other stuff.
    It doesn't say how much they'd want to do the work to my own heads. is 450 a good price for stock ls6 heads if i planned to get them ported.

Yeah, worry about the rear end first. I mean, you could have well over 400+rwhp with 228R and TSP ls6 heads, and wha tis all that if you cant use it? Just bite the bullet and get a 12bolt or ford 9" if you are going to be doing any racing.

Oh, did you get double springs or singles on your car?

black
    2001 Camaro SS

man that's a huge bullet to bite, along with the clutch i need to buy. but yeah that's what i'm hearin from everyone so i'll do that.
    i guess i'll start researchin rear ends, is it a bad idea to go used, how much am i lookin at spending?

i got double springs just for my peace of mind but i could have gotten single springs
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 09-15-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

man that's a huge bullet to bite, along with the clutch i need to buy. but yeah that's what i'm hearin from everyone so i'll do that.
    i guess i'll start researchin rear ends, is it a bad idea to go used, how much am i lookin at spending?

i got double springs just for my peace of mind but i could have gotten single springs
    Used rears are fine, typically about $1500-$1800.

Ok, thanks. Oh, and I did not mean to put it so bluntly, but I guess for now just go soft on the launches.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah it's roll racin for the time being

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information