Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

It's the antlerless hunt this weekend. Supposed to be another windy one. I think I'll just take walk around in the Jackson marsh all day. I have shot 2 deer doing slow stalks through there.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you have any pine stands there? I always have good luck in those when the wind and weather gets bad. We have the sprinkled all through the woods which makes it kinda tough because they have a lot of options. There's one that's really big that I have better luck in so I usually hunt that one. The deer have the advantage in there big time so it's a tough hunt. You can't hear them and can barely see them in there. I just listen for twigs to snap every now and then...that's about the only way you'll know they're there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

My dad swears by raspberry jello packets help bring them in as well as corn feed. Sprinkle it on the ground and they can smell it and start looking looking for them. Works great on hogs too.

Arctic White, red/gray

No pine stands though I am sure there are some pines in there. Only problem is it's public and we're not allow to leave stands up on public this far south in the state. Although I have found quite a few stands back in there. You can walk for half a day before hitting a road and I doubt the DNR go in that deep unless they have a reason to.

I took my climber back in there a couple years ago, walked for over 2 hours with it before I found a tall grass field within the marsh hardwood. I setup there and had multiple deer come though before I shot a big doe. Took me a long long time to get out of there with my gear and that deer.

I also found a hunter in there one gun season. Eyes as big as the moon when he came up to me. He had been lost for hours in the marsh. He came in from the public side which is like a 2-3 hour walk from where we were, if you go in 1 direction at a good pace. I go in on a private land side that the land owner leases to the DNR during hunting season. Although no one seems to know about it as they all still park and walk in from the public parking lots on the other side of the marsh. Which is good for me.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Bonus 2 day gun this weekend. I think I'm leaving all the kids at home and doing this one solo. This is the last weekend I'll camp and it'd be nice to just camp and hunt a weekend without dealing with kid stuff.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

season ended yesterday the 15th doing a roast sunday, waiting now on shed season.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

It's Hunting season

big batch of jerky going in the dehydrator now

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    season ended yesterday the 15th doing a roast sunday, waiting now on shed season.
    Do you use dogs to hunt for sheds?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Well my Dad is done this year. His knees can't handle it anymore. He put off knee surgery till January but now it's gotten to the point he can't walk anymore without crutches.

Made Deer chili last night, looking forward to lunch for some more today.

I gotta figure out how to make these boar hams juicier or tender. They don't come with a lot of fat like the store bought hams do. They've already been brine.

I'm think of getting some pig fat from the butchers to wrap around them and low temp cook them. Suggestions?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Never cooked wild hog. I've taken deer roasts and cut slits in them and filled with pieces of bacon. Works ok but lean is lean. Will never be like a store bought ham.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We received a gift box of edible pig parts yesterday. Does that count?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No.....if you didn't watch it die and have a hand in killing it then it's not hunting. Maybe you're just more of a gatherer? Haha

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not much into killing anything with less than 6 or 8 legs and definitely not going to eat any of them despite what Andrew Zimmern says.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

^^^ haha Me too

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Ok....last run at them for me. After this weekend everything gets put away. Muzzy season opens tomorrow. Little handicapped because kids have wrestling and soccer tomorrow so I had to adjust my schedule. I'm gonna hunt in the back yard over my corn in the morning for an hour then take Zach to wrestling. This morning I looked out and watched a big doe walk up to the corn right at 730. What's the odds she does that tomorrow since I'll be out there with a gun? I'm guessing zero chance. I'll go down to the woods and hunt Saturday afternoon then stay in my buddy's camper and hunt Sunday morning. I may hunt Sunday evening over the corn here but the saints playoff game will be on so unless I can time it and slide back there during halftime which will be right about dusk I may skip it. I'd like to get 1 more deer but we'll be fine on meat if I don't. I just won't be able to make a ton of jerky and trail bologna.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can hunt over bait in Ohio?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

on private land you can but not on public

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You can hunt over bait in Ohio?
    What are you... a cop?

In WI baiting rules are by county. In the county I generally hunt you can bait on public but you can only so many guys baiting per 40 acres. Which makes it extremely difficult to bait legally on public land. Unless you know 100% everyone baiting on the land. Safest option is to just have 1 pile and stick to that one pile on public. I don't bait at all on public. I bait 1 private lot, the others are all rented out to farmers so there are multiple fields of bait.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-08-2018 at 08:30 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Took Chloe out with me this afternoon. Didn't see shit. Been a while since I've actually seen a deer in the woods. Today was it for me. Cleaning everything and putting it all away tomorrow. Now it's garage beer drinking season until spring.

Arctic White, red/gray

You made it longer than I did. I lost the will to hunt during gun deer. Haven't been out since.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information