View Poll Results: Flowmaster restricts more than stock muffler?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 28.32%
  • No

81 71.68%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Yes,
    I Do Agree With You On That!!
    I Think You Could Cut The Muffler Completly Off And The Stock Small Pipe Into A Y Would Still Create Plenty Of Backpressure.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    why is it that all drag cars run open headers if its a myth?
    any amount of low end tq you may lose will quickly be made up.
    Drag cars are built for the strip only. There builders could care less about how much low-speed grunt, throttle response, or low-speed passing power they have. Those cars are focused on top end, i.e. top half of the track.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ exactly. most fbodys aren't track cars. low end doesn't matter when you have a drag car that starts by launching at high rpm in the first place. low end does need back pressure. just because some exhaust company says something doesn't make it true. ferrari and other exotic companies have spent millions more on research on cars.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis;1515023[B
    ]^ exactly. most fbodys aren't track cars. low end doesn't matter when you have a drag car that starts by launching at high rpm in the first place.[/B] low end does need back pressure. just because some exhaust company says something doesn't make it true. ferrari and other exotic companies have spent millions more on research on cars.
    I agree. I don't know why we are comparing street cars to all out dragsters?

None of mine are strictly track cars,,,yet I have 3 of them that I occasionally open the headers on via a pair of cutouts when I'm in the mood. The cars always pickup 2-3 tenths and about 3 mph give or take depending on weather....and these are dual exhaust cars with 3 inch piping,,,x-pipes etc....it's not like the motors are choked down....

Generally speaking if you open headers on a car and it slows down,,,,it's more than likely due to a lean condition. The car needs to be tuned accordingly.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    None of mine are strictly track cars,,,yet I have 3 of them that I occasionally open the headers on via a pair of cutouts when I'm in the mood. The cars always pickup 2-3 tenths and about 3 mph give or take depending on weather....and these are dual exhaust cars with 3 inch piping,,,x-pipes etc....it's not like the motors are choked down....

Generally speaking if you open headers on a car and it slows down,,,,it's more than likely due to a lean condition. The car needs to be tuned accordingly.
    First of all, I can only speak from personal experience. Second, once again I am refering to torque lost down low, not quarter-mile performance. The 1320 gives plenty of room to ring every bit of power out of the band - the street can be a different story. Again, I never said open headers takes away horsepower - infact, it actually gains power over closed exhaust in the upper-midrange/top side. But from my experience it deducts low-end power. When my cap is open, I notice a decrease in fuel mileage due to the fact that I have to give more throttle everytime I come off a stop light. It takes my car more effort just to get up to the speed limit under normal driving when my exhaust is open, versus when my exhaust is closed it is the complete opposite: has more throttle response, i.e. more down low, but doesn't breath as good in the upper rpm's versus my cut-out. This is just my car.

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    First of all, I can only speak from personal experience. Second, once again I am refering to torque lost down low, not quarter-mile performance. The 1320 gives plenty of room to ring every bit of power out of the band - the street can be a different story. Again, I never said open headers takes away horsepower - infact, it actually gains power over closed exhaust in the upper-midrange/top side. But from my experience it deducts low-end power. When my cap is open, I notice a decrease in fuel mileage due to the fact that I have to give more throttle everytime I come off a stop light. It takes my car more effort just to get up to the speed limit under normal driving when my exhaust is open, versus when my exhaust is closed it is the complete opposite: has more throttle response, i.e. more down low, but doesn't breath as good in the upper rpm's versus my cut-out. This is just my car.
    Sounds like a classic lean condition...

I still run same 60 foot times in the 1.52 range carrying the left front wheel with or without the headers open,,,,so I'm not loosing any torque down low

10's N/A

Sounds like a classic lean condition...

I still run same 60 foot times in the 1.52 range carrying the left front wheel with or without the headers open,,,,so I'm not loosing any torque down low
    Nope. Had the car on the dyno 10 days ago. Runs like a gem Remember though, we have two different cars.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

um, your missing the point. it ruins drivability. on the road at low rpm u need some backpressure. not at wot on the dragstrip.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

so we are back to square one huh? so we choose not to believe savaging.. how is drag ever good on the functionality of a engine???? do you want drag in the induction???? nope...how bought spent fumes evacuating the cylinder ?? nope doesnt make sense. so why would the exhaust be any different..that article backs up what exhaust manufacturers say..it even explains why you feel a "lose in low end grunt" ...so under the backpressure theory..we want as little drag as possible of air into the engine..and out..but only to the exhaust ]..the "Y" then we want drag to make torque??? that makes NO sense what so ever....also the dragster thing about no low end torque b.s needs to be thought about...do you think those dragsters have no torque? ...You can not get hp without torque.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    um, your missing the point. it ruins drivability. on the road at low rpm u need some backpressure. not at wot on the dragstrip.
    ????? your kidding right??? do you think the more torque you have...the better drivability is??? hp doesnt kill drivability..its the torque.

98' trans am

why would you want a freer flowing /aka bigger pipes and straighter path....since it reduces drag..there for it reduces backpressure..under that thought we should keep the stock manis on because they create more bp therefore more torque..but that makes no since since you see power&torque gains through out the powerband.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

just because some exhaust company says something doesn't make it true. ferrari and other exotic companies have spent millions more on research on cars.
    so just because ferrari says so its true then.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    so what are you racing, winner at 100 feet?
    at 50 feet even a stock car is going to be in the 3000 rpm band atleast.

black

funny, my 81 Z/28 did the same as your cars, it ran faster in the 1/8 and 1/4 when i uncapped the headers. it was no drag car either.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    so just because ferrari says so its true then.
    ohhh of course ..because it is ferrari..see magnaflow and other EXHAUST COMPANIES ..you know..the ones that make their living on EXHAUST SYSTEMS dont know shit..i mean come on..its ferrari..they make their living on selling cars..what sells sports cars quite a bit? sound/style..people buy ferraris mostly for the status symbol..the beautiful design ..the "ferrari sound" there are cars that are faster ..but people dont buy the ferrari solely on power..nor do most ferrari buyers care about a loss of 20lb.ft of torque or less ect..now f-body and corvette owners...hell yes we do.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    so we are back to square one huh? so we choose not to believe savaging.. how is drag ever good on the functionality of a engine???? do you want drag in the induction???? nope...how bought spent fumes evacuating the cylinder ?? nope doesnt make sense. so why would the exhaust be any different..that article backs up what exhaust manufacturers say..it even explains why you feel a "lose in low end grunt" ...so under the backpressure theory..we want as little drag as possible of air into the engine..and out..but only to the exhaust ]..the "Y" then we want drag to make torque??? that makes NO sense what so ever....also the dragster thing about no low end torque b.s needs to be thought about...do you think those dragsters have no torque? ...You can not get hp without torque.
    yes you want drag in induction. my old car had vris, similar to vtech. basically 2 doors in the intake manifold. when both are open, path is straight. when closed, it had to go through longer paths. one opens at 3000 rpms, the other at 5. i drove a car with the doors taken out. it had MUCH less power down low. and everyone online said the same as well. whats an exhaust shop know? what technology do they use? they make a different sounding muffler and sell it. wow that takes a lot of smarts and degrees behind that. more backpressure isn't necessarily better, but you need some in the low end.
    Last edited by Speed Psychosis; 06-16-2008 at 07:53 PM.

black

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ohhh of course ..because it is ferrari..see magnaflow and other EXHAUST COMPANIES ..you know..the ones that make their living on EXHAUST SYSTEMS dont know shit..i mean come on..its ferrari..they make their living on selling cars..what sells sports cars quite a bit? sound/style..people buy ferraris mostly for the status symbol..the beautiful design ..the "ferrari sound" there are cars that are faster ..but people dont buy the ferrari solely on power..nor do most ferrari buyers care about a loss of 20lb.ft of torque or less ect..now f-body and corvette owners...hell yes we do.
    hay you should call ferrari. i think you just gave them a new slogan, buy our car not because of the exotic styling, but because of the sound.
    you might even get a buck or two for the suggestion.
    maybe they will even give you a tip on how to make an exhaust for a f-body

black

yes you want drag in induction. my old car had vris, similar to vtech. basically 2 doors in the intake manifold. when both are open, path is straight. when closed, it had to go through longer paths. one opens at 3000 rpms, the other at 5. i drove a car with the doors taken out. it had MUCH less power down low. and everyone online said the same as well. whats an exhaust shop know? what technology do they use? they make a different sounding muffler and sell it. wow that takes a lot of smarts and degrees behind that. more backpressure isn't necessarily better, but you need some in the low end.
    companies like hooker or magnaflow that make headers and such for race teams dont know shit, that sounds right.

i would expect to hear that from a vtech owner.

Red
    98 Trans Am

back pressure? myth? i didnt study that in mythology. but.....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information