Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 02 WS6 vs Cobra

pyro71985
    Putting a supercharger on a stock block LS1 is a ticking time bomb, I have seen more than 5 go from as little at 5psi and the most being 8psi.

The point is the 03/04 cobra is built from the factory...Ive seen people spend $2k on a lightley used KB or Whipple blower then throw a 50shot of nitrous on it along with the basic mods (exhaust and intake etc.) and hit around 700rwhp...

now show me how you can supercharge the LS1 (SAFELY) and run that kind of HP for. To do it safely you would have to buy a built shortblock..built tranny...and built rearend...all those come with the the cobra.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro71985 View Post
    Putting a supercharger on a stock block LS1 is a ticking time bomb, I have seen more than 5 go from as little at 5psi and the most being 8psi.

The point is the 03/04 cobra is built from the factory...Ive seen people spend $2k on a lightley used KB or Whipple blower then throw a 50shot of nitrous on it along with the basic mods (exhaust and intake etc.) and hit around 700rwhp...

now show me how you can supercharge the LS1 (SAFELY) and run that kind of HP for. To do it safely you would have to buy a built shortblock..built tranny...and built rearend...all those come with the the cobra.
    absolutely right....for the money those cars are one of sickest things ever produced when it comes to performance

vortech supercharger with aftercooler runs on stock LS1 block. 470flywheel..
    they wouldn't sell if they were so bad for the engine.
    then Cobra 03/04 has supercharger on it stock and claims 410flywheel, 390 is underrated.. so
    put a aftercooler on the Cobra and you get the same power output... etc etc...

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    Cobra in 99 and 01 NA And 96-98 were about the same in power.
    96-98 305hp

99 320hp (if corrected intake and head issue done) and 01 had the issue fixed (that's why there was no 00) 320hp as well

and of course the Terms had 390/390

just FYI
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    absolutely right....for the money those cars are one of sickest things ever produced when it comes to performance
    yeah....the axles are about the only weak spot i've seen on them

bang for the buck definitely goes to the 03/04 Cobras

Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    yeah....the axles are about the only weak spot i've seen on them

bang for the buck definitely goes to the 03/04 Cobras
    the rear end will need to replaced once reaching 450rwhp.. it depends how you drive it too, 10bolt becomes 12.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    They sell alot of things that are bad for engines, like Nos for example.
    I know form experiance that blowers do hurt the LT1 cars, 2 of my friends blew there LT1's with only 6 and 8 lbs of boost. One pro charger and one Vortech.
    Not sure of the LS1 though.
    I would imagine they also get damaged, because of the compression ratios of the 2 engines are similar. Ford lowered the Compression of the 03/04 Cobras alot to accomidate for the superchargers.

the rear end will need to replaced once reaching 450rwhp.. it depends how you drive it too, 10bolt becomes 12.
    The 8.8 inch rear in the Cobras is good enough to handle almost any amount of power. I have read of many 700 plus horsepower cars still runnig the 8.8 from th factory, just needs stronger half shafts, or some go to a solid rear axle, but still an 8.8 inch size.

Now the GM unit in the F body is a 7.5 or 7.65 inch rear end. It is weak and you will need a better one once you exceed 425 RWHP. Actually I broke 3 rear ends in three differant TA's with only around around 350 RWHP. So I can tell you from experiance that the Stock rears on the F bodys are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    They sell alot of things that are bad for engines, like Nos for example.
    I know form experiance that blowers do hurt the LT1 cars, 2 of my friends blew there LT1's with only 6 and 8 lbs of boost. One pro charger and one Vortech.
    Not sure of the LS1 though.
    I would imagine they also get damaged, because of the compression ratios of the 2 engines are similar. Ford lowered the Compression of the 03/04 Cobras alot to accomidate for the superchargers.

The 8.8 inch rear in the Cobras is good enough to handle almost any amount of power. I have read of many 700 plus horsepower cars still runnig the 8.8 from th factory, just needs stronger half shafts, or some go to a solid rear axle, but still an 8.8 inch size.

Now the GM unit in the F body is a 7.5 or 7.65 inch rear end. It is weak and you will need a better one once you exceed 425 RWHP. Actually I broke 3 rear ends in three differant TA's with only around around 350 RWHP. So I can tell you from experiance that the Stock rears on the F bodys are weak.
    I heard many folks tried stock engine 100 shot and is good, anymore than that become a problem on stock block. also the s/c comes with aftercooler so it is pretty bullet proof on overheating 470 to crank. LS1 are much better blocks than LT1.. but most people will do heads/cam on LS1 so no biggie anyways.. then do a 200 shot with a s/c on it.. yeah!!!
    about the rear end,,,so I hear too, I got the subframe connectors in place, maybe getting panhard bars.. wouldn't that make the rear end solid enough for 500rwhp,, hmm, anybody tried that combo?

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

I'm a LS1 guy but as soon as the factory adds a power adder there is nothing that compares. My little 231 CI 98 Buick Regal can beat most LS1's and i've only got about 1200 bucks in parts on it and the factory installed Eaton M90 running mid 12's. I know my boundrys with the LS1, the cobras are kickass just not a big fan of fords.

pyro71985
    then Cobra 03/04 has supercharger on it stock and claims 410flywheel, 390 is underrated.. so
    put a aftercooler on the Cobra and you get the same power output... etc etc...
    Sure they would! Just like people sell crack....its bad for you but as long as someones willing to buy it they are making $$$ a better example is ciggaretts.....the vortech s/c'er is UNSAFE on a stock LS1....like I said before without a built shortblock its a ticking time bomb.

470 at the crank is mabe 430 at the wheels....cobras put that down with exhaust and intake....or just a pulley swap.

The cobra is the better platform for boost PERIOD, the LS1 is the better platform for N/A....without tapping into the engine that is..

I mean think about it...how much time do you think a major corporation like ford takes while building a factory s/ced car....lots of time and lots of money....alot more than procharger or vortech or any aftermarket s/c'er companies do for the LS1

That is absolutely NOT TRUE I know of 2 people who have broke theirs with STOCK hp....wheelhop is NOT friendly to these rear ends

Sure they would! Just like people sell crack....its bad for you but as long as someones willing to buy it they are making $$$ a better example is ciggaretts.....the vortech s/c'er is UNSAFE on a stock LS1....like I said before without a built shortblock its a ticking time bomb.

470 at the crank is mabe 430 at the wheels....cobras put that down with exhaust and intake....or just a pulley swap.

The cobra is the better platform for boost PERIOD, the LS1 is the better platform for N/A....without tapping into the engine that is..

I mean think about it...how much time do you think a major corporation like ford takes while building a factory s/ced car....lots of time and lots of money....alot more than procharger or vortech or any aftermarket s/c'er companies do for the LS1

That is absolutely NOT TRUE I know of 2 people who have broke theirs with STOCK hp....wheelhop is NOT friendly to these rear ends
    ok, SFC's would help a lot. got them. wouldn't wanna be without them

pyro71985
    I agree they are life savers for sure

2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    96-98 305hp

99 320hp (if corrected intake and head issue done) and 01 had the issue fixed (that's why there was no 00) 320hp as well

and of course the Terms had 390/390

just FYI
    That's why I said ABOUT the same, there is a weigh difference between 96-98 and 99-04's, that extra little 15hp.... doesn't make much of a difference, and of course the whole 99 Cobra fiasco...

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

a bone stock ls1 with 8 psi and a tune can get 470 rwhp not just flywheel hp...ive seen sts setups on completely stock f-bodys with over 500 rwhp....

.all the ls1 needs is an iron block ...forged rods and pistons......then it can make over 800 rwhp with the stock crank.......

the Terminator was built knowing that it would see high boost.... all we got to do is setup our ls1's with internals and we will easily smoke these cobras....

why.... more cubic inches and just better all around engine physics...the ls ports are bad ass mofos...ls1 engines have the best hp & tq curves ive ever seen...n/a.... so imagine when they run 0ver 15 psi---

the rearend is a total mishap on gm's side---im sure they knew these were not going to hold....so why did they use them....

and the transmission can handle way over 500 rwhp with simple mods to the cinc rows and output shaft......

for the money id rather stuff a built engine and rearend into a 98 v6 and gutt that bitch, to achieve the ultimate Terminator killer.....it can be done for less than 10 grand easily......and make over 700 hp on juice or other power adders

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    a bone stock ls1 with 8 psi and a tune can get 470 rwhp not just flywheel hp...ive seen sts setups on completely stock f-bodys with over 500 rwhp....

.all the ls1 needs is an iron block ...forged rods and pistons......then it can make over 800 rwhp with the stock crank.......

the Terminator was built knowing that it would see high boost.... all we got to do is setup our ls1's with internals and we will easily smoke these cobras....

why.... more cubic inches and just better all around engine physics...the ls ports are bad ass mofos...ls1 engines have the best hp & tq curves ive ever seen...n/a.... so imagine when they run 0ver 15 psi---

the rearend is a total mishap on gm's side---im sure they knew these were not going to hold....so why did they use them....

and the transmission can handle way over 500 rwhp with simple mods to the cinc rows and output shaft......

for the money id rather stuff a built engine and rearend into a 98 v6 and gutt that bitch, to achieve the ultimate Terminator killer.....it can be done for less than 10 grand easily......and make over 700 hp on juice or other power adders
    my friend, more than 6psi is a ticking bomb on LSx engines. you see Lsx is not designed for blower or turbo, .. I know you can prob do 8 psi and stuff but I checked with the pros on this one.. more than 6psi on a stock engine is a ticking bomb... now if you do some piston work and other crap you can do 20psi no prob. On the other hand a Cobra or Supra is built with the blower/turbo in mind. so.. iz cool as stock.. but do some piston engine mods and u cool on LSx...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    i beat a 03 cobra when i was bone stock i took him buy 2 cars
    Did he have 500 lbs of concrete in the trunk by any chance?
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Did he have 500 lbs of concrete in the trunk by any chance?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

time to move on.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information