Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gas prices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Oh ok, gotcha. I was thinking you had a newer, LSX powered truck.

I tend to just think of the older trucks as K10,20,30.

I used to have a '73 K10 Cheyenne shortbed, I really miss that truck. It had a mild 350 in it, I used to run 89 in it. With 35" tires and 3.73's (and a Holley 4bbl!) I got a whopping 7mpg with it.
    Thats cool,,,my father has a newer 6 litre LSx powered truck, he loves it.

But I stick to old trusty, it's been good to me. Fuel mileage isn't too bad though considering a 400 turbo and 3.73 gears, it gets a consistent 12 mpg driving easy. It actually tickled 14 mpg on a 2,600 mile drive accross country....
    Thats not towing of course

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Question

Quote Originally Posted by stomperz71 View Post
    To fill my Silverado up, 26 gallon tank its like $5.20 more for 94 octane over 87 octane. I don't have a problem with that. I don't like paying $4.20 a gallon but if I want to drive it from time to time I have to pay that price. The problem that I was trying to get across was with the high gas prices not as many people are buying 94 octane (not many bought it before) so I'm saying the gas has to be getting old sitting their in the ground waiting for someone to buy it. I was just trying to get across that you may get some bad gas if you buy high octane gas. That's why I was looking into octane boosters. I live out ine the middle of no where, just small country heck towns around me. Their is a Sunoco station just 5 miles away but I can tell you that the 94 octane button hardly ever gets pushed!
    Well, I was talking a 12 or 13 gallon fill up, which is typical for an F-Body.

And as long as the spread between grades stays the same at ten cents or so (what it is generally in my area) the price difference will still be the same. Even 10/gal for regular vs. 10.20 for 93 is still only a 2.60 difference for 13 gallons.

Why are you putting 94 in your Silverado anyway? I'm pretty sure the trucks are designed to run on 87, so running 94 is basically throwing money away. Despite what people may hear or think, running higher octane fuel than required has no benefit.

And as far as gas sitting for a long time, I doubt that's a factor, unless you buy gas from a station in the middle of nowhere. There aren't separate tanks for each grade of gas; there's a regular tank and a premium tank. The different grades are mixed at the pump fro mthe two tanks. So, as long as people still buy 89 and 91, the premium tank is still going to need a frequent topping off.

If this is still a concern, buy from a busy station.
    Ahhh...just had to point this out because its confusing. Stuntman, you asked stomperz71 why he puts premium in his Silverado, but Firebirdjones responded about his old truck. And you apparently lost track of who was who.
    BTW stomperz71 said eariler in this thread that his Silverado has a blower on it, hence the premium gas.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Ahhh...just had to point this out because its confusing. Stuntman, you asked stomperz71 why he puts premium in his Silverado, but Firebirdjones responded about his old truck. And you apparently lost track of who was who.
    BTW stomperz71 said eariler in this thread that his Silverado has a blower on it, hence the premium gas.
    Oh that's funny, you're right. FirebirdJones had quoted me asking Stomper about premium in the Silverado, so I just went with that. I had typed that reply to Stomper at about 6:30AM, and then the one to FirebirdJones at 5:30PM.

But yeah, with a blower, premium definitely makes sense.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/SLP

Well, I was talking a 12 or 13 gallon fill up, which is typical for an F-Body.

And as long as the spread between grades stays the same at ten cents or so (what it is generally in my area) the price difference will still be the same. Even 10/gal for regular vs. 10.20 for 93 is still only a 2.60 difference for 13 gallons.

Why are you putting 94 in your Silverado anyway? I'm pretty sure the trucks are designed to run on 87, so running 94 is basically throwing money away. Despite what people may hear or think, running higher octane fuel than required has no benefit.

And as far as gas sitting for a long time, I doubt that's a factor, unless you buy gas from a station in the middle of nowhere. There aren't separate tanks for each grade of gas; there's a regular tank and a premium tank. The different grades are mixed at the pump fro mthe two tanks. So, as long as people still buy 89 and 91, the premium tank is still going to need a frequent topping off.

If this is still a concern, buy from a busy station.
    I have a Whipple SuperCharger on it. Its tuned to run 94 Octane!

My fathers 6 litre LSx truck has no power adder, but does have a custom tune that requires 93-94 octane as well. Especially towing the trailer.
    I think you could get away with cheap gas in the newer trucks Stuntman as you mentioned,,,,as long as the truck is still stock I guess...

Thread Information