Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Unless I missed it, no one seemed to ask you what type of bench you were using. Free weights, machine, Smith ?

Machines are notoriously off. It's not uncommon to be doing twenty pounds more or less than the plates indicate. Standard flat bench requires the best technique, in my opinion, since you have to balance the bar as well as move it vertically. The Smith seems to be a good standard for actual strength to move the weight vertically, but I think the lack of "balance need" makes it less appealing for true strength, since core strength isn't as pronounced.

285 is a good push man, especially for reps. I have no doubt that if you can do that many reps, you are very capable of 300 for one-rep max. I'd bet you are in the 330 range.

I'm a good bit bigger than you, but at 385 I started to get serious pain in my elbows so I never broke 400. My advice is keep it up, but listen to your body. If it says stop, do it. No need causing injury that requires surgery to fix.

Good luck!
    It was on a smith machine, and who ever said I'm wasting my time with 12 reps? wtf makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    This thread smells like a cow pasture....... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    It was on a smith machine, and who ever said I'm wasting my time with 12 reps? wtf makes you say that?

I did.

Why bother with 12 when you can do something heavier for less reps? Unless youre shooting for size, theres no reason to do 12 reps.

Biomechanics 101

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

What do you guys recommend to eat before/after working out?

Also what about everyday eating - breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Like a daily diet?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Lots of reps, low weight equals ripped and toned. Low reps with a lot of weight gives size. Both will get you strong, but it depends on what you want. But anyways, good ass pushes sir.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Lots of reps, low weight equals ripped and toned. Low reps with a lot of weight gives size. Both will get you strong, but it depends on what you want. But anyways, good ass pushes sir.
    Not exactly true at all.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Not true at all.....

I've been reading a lot lately on Weight VS Reps, I have found some interesting stuff

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

My mantra is lift the most weight you can control going nice and slow for a minimum of a 3/4 rep, 8-10 reps. I often on the 10th rep of a lift have a buddy help me get a positive rep and then I'll lower it on the negative. Your muscles are much stronger on the negative then positive and this technique helps me get a crazy pump and just totally frys the muscle. You can also do this technique with a weight that you can't lift like lets say you can't bench 215, but you can lower it. Doing this can help you add some pounds to your bench and eventually hit your goals.

I dont subscribe to the low weight high reps mantra. I think its bullshit. Its a marketing thing that gyms started because they didn't want the liability of having some unathletic nerd getting hurt and suing the club.

My 2cents

My mantra is lift the most weight you can control going nice and slow for a minimum of a 3/4 rep, 8-10 reps. I often on the 10th rep of a lift have a buddy help me get a positive rep and then I'll lower it on the negative. Your muscles are much stronger on the negative then positive and this technique helps me get a crazy pump and just totally frys the muscle. You can also do this technique with a weight that you can't lift like lets say you can't bench 215, but you can lower it. Doing this can help you add some pounds to your bench and eventually hit your goals.

I dont subscribe to the low weight high reps mantra. I think its bullshit. Its a marketing thing that gyms started because they didn't want the liability of having some unathletic nerd getting hurt and suing the club.

My 2cents
    And that still happens, ask Spaz.

Doing negatives are good alternates for overcoming plateaus, going for hypertrophy, or finding another way to do an impossible exercise (e.g. pullups).

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post

Also what about everyday eating - breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Like a daily diet?
    Anybody ?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Anybody ?
    pbj before a workout or maybe even pasta about 45 mins before, and then wolf a protein shake after the workout maybe some creatine, OR something protein dense in a whole food like a chicken breast or steak.

Theres been a few studies that have shown that whey protein directly after a workout is supposed to further enhance hypertrophy, I dont know the specifics of said studies but theres nothing that would make me think its not true. whey digests really fast and this would make sense to take right after a workout where your body can absorb the protein right away.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

To thread starter thats an impressive bench, 285 12 times is really strong. However no disrespect but to test true bench you would want to do free weight. It takes a lot of strength just to stabalize weight so you can usually do more on machine press. Plus most competitions judge off free weight cause it is more accurate. Not discrediting you at all you could probably bench 300 free weight if you can do 12 at 285 on smith.
    I used to weigh 160 but am currently 185 and am 6'3 with long arms so bench wasnt always my forte due to leverage. Although now I have built myself to bench 265 max with free weights and sets of 10 with 205 free weights. I havnt checked bench on machine but can do way more on machine. It is also my personal goal to bench 300 on free weight. I just dont get to lift all the time due to life circumstances but have made steady progress over the years.
    Good luck and impressive lift non the less. It will actually make you stronger if you do machine and free weights alternating they both have some advantages and disadvantages I just prefer free weight personally.
    Jesse

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

pbj before a workout or maybe even pasta about 45 mins before, and then wolf a protein shake after the workout maybe some creatine, OR something protein dense in a whole food like a chicken breast or steak.

Theres been a few studies that have shown that whey protein directly after a workout is supposed to further enhance hypertrophy, I dont know the specifics of said studies but theres nothing that would make me think its not true. whey digests really fast and this would make sense to take right after a workout where your body can absorb the protein right away.
    What is hyperthrophy? And yeah, I was looking into getting some whey protien, but I was told to get some that has no sugar or aspartame which is a sugar substitute. And all the kinds in the grocery store had sugar....

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

What is hyperthrophy? And yeah, I was looking into getting some whey protien, but I was told to get some that has no sugar or aspartame which is a sugar substitute. And all the kinds in the grocery store had sugar....
    I prefer syntha-6, I know it doesnt have aspartame, but i'm not sure on the sugar content. Needless to say it tastes amazing.

Hypertrophy is the big word for Muscle growth.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Oh ok, gotcha! So chicken, pb&j, pastas for a general diet? And that's for the protien/carbs, right?

Black
    '98 Z28

I've heard the best thing to drink after a workout is chocolate milk. Anyone else heard that?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I've heard the best thing to drink after a workout is chocolate milk. Anyone else heard that?
    It's not the "best thing", but I believe it's still good because it has the right types of proteins and carbs in it.

I don't drink it though. I'm not a big fan of unneeded sugar. You'd probably be better off with chicken for protein and either brown rice or a sweet potato for carbs.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Oh ok, gotcha! So chicken, pb&j, pastas for a general diet? And that's for the protien/carbs, right?
    Here's a good guideline for each nutrient group:

Proteins:
    -Egg whites
    -Chicken
    -Turkey
    -Beef (Lean)
    -Tuna
    -Salmon
    -Whey

Carbs:
    -Oats
    -Potatoes (Sweet)
    -Rice (Brown)
    -Pasta

Fats:
    -Egg yolks
    -Nuts
    -Fish oil
    -Olive oil
    -Peanut butter (Natural)

Veggies:
    -Broccoli
    -Spinach
    -Celery
    -Lettuce (Green & Leafy)
    -Tomatoes

Fruit:
    -Bananas
    -Apples
    -Grapefruit
    -Berries (Straw/Blue/Rasp)

Dairy:
    -Milk
    -Cottage Cheese

Etc etc... Should give you an idea.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Somewhere like GNC will have a much better selection of protein powders (Whey and others) than the grocery store, but usually whatever GNC sells, you can find for cheaper by ordering at online supplement stores.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    It's not the "best thing", but I believe it's still good because it has the right types of proteins and carbs in it.

I don't drink it though. I'm not a big fan of unneeded sugar. You'd probably be better off with chicken for protein and either brown rice or a sweet potato for carbs.
    Here's an article I read where it first mentioned the chocolate milk thing. Michigan football currently is using it with the new coaching staff.

Offseason program has Wolverines looking, feeling different

The strength and conditioning stuff starts about 2/3 the way down the page. He talks about casein, whey, and proteins.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

I prefer syntha-6, I know it doesnt have aspartame, but i'm not sure on the sugar content. Needless to say it tastes amazing.

Hypertrophy is the big word for Muscle growth.
    Syntha 6 is awesome, I am alllergic to whey so I can't take it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information