Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    chevy had a prototype v-10 that was going to be used in thier trucks... jerky ass bastages never put it in to production...
    I read about that, it had ls6 based heads with 2 cyls smacked on.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I read about that, it had ls6 based heads with 2 cyls smacked on.
    makes me mad... it made more power than the viper V-10...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

HAS ANY ONE SEEN THE CADDY V16? 1000HP

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    Oh come on now you newbies. Second page and no one has mentioned this...

LT5

Click for full size

This Chevrolet LT5 V8 engine (5.7 liter - 350 cubic inch), has an all aluminum block and cylinder heads, 4 overhead camshafts and 32 valves.

Some LT5 History... Engine design was a cooperation between General Motors and Lotus. And, because of the small volume of LT5 engines, GM went outside their own production facilities, to find someone to build the LT5. Ultimately, Mercury Marine was chosen, because of their reputation in building aluminum engines.

More ZR-1 LT5 Trivia... On March 1st & 2nd, 1990, on a 7.712-mile oval owned by Firestone Tire, near Fort Stockton, TX, three 'World Speed Records' were set, using a ZR-1 Corvette w/LT5 engine: The 24-hour top-speed endurance record @ 175.885 mph, the 5,000 kilometer record @ 175.710 mph and the 5,000 mile record @ 173.791.
    Thank you CCM
    2000TA, ARCTIC WHITE, 6 SPD
    ALL THE USUAL STUFF
    A MILE HIGH & A SECOND SLOWER

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Show me one streetable 4 or 6 cylinder engine that doesn't use any band-aids that could be considered one of the "greatest engines of all time"
    no band aids? fine...second gear already said it, but the f20 honda vtec motor... 2 liter inline four producing 240 horsepower?!?!?! 120hp per liter is f1 territory...well not really but yu get the point...not to mention 8900 rpm redline.... and reliable

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

keep em comin guys good to see what everyone thinks

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    HAS ANY ONE SEEN THE CADDY V16? 1000HP
    YA...i thought it was like 1500hp or something...u see it in the move CLICK..

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

I had a Fiero with a Iron Duke in it, It was a great motor. I fucked it up but it was great. Tons of torque for a 4 pot, I could lug that car around like I do my Z. I think both GM 90 degree 6's are really top notch. I also hold a 4.6 SOHC mod motor high because they last a long time and my Vic gets GREAT gas mileage for a huge car. I pull 20 in town and 28 on the highway average. Another motor not mentioned in this thread are the new honda K series. I've worked on them abit and had the chance to blow one up haha. Super solid motor.

26B 4 rotor Rotary engine.

Destroyed the competition in LeMan racing so bad that it was banned.

20B Rotary

2.0L displacement, 10psi, 300 hp.

13B-REW Rotary

1.3L of displacement making just under 300hp stock in its final configuration.

Just to piss the piston guys off.

BC

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

I4-H22 (prelude engine, not the greatest but it's definitely one of my favorites)
    V6-VQ30DE-K ('00/01 Nissan Maxima engine, most reliable V6 in the world and quick as shit)
    V8-...LS7 o'course
    V10-Dodge Viper engine (don't know the actual engine designation. My dream car and motor)

In my world, a great street engine needs power. HP/liter impresses the importe crowd. I don't care that some 4 cylinder makes 240HP n/a at 9000RPM. In the end, 240HP is WEAK, and hardly worthy of a "greatest street engine" title. My Briggs&Stratton makes more HP/liter than that Honda motor does, maybe it should be on this list?

What kind of power did the n/a 4.3L and 3.8L GMs put out? 200HP? Anyone can boost a motor to make impressive power, but that's the compressors doing, NOT the engine...

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

W16 engine of the Bugatti Veyron:
    1001 hp out of 8 liters with 4 turbos

...cost volkswagen a fortune to develop that car + the engine: 407 km/h topspeed, 0-60 2.5 sec.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    W16 engine of the Bugatti Veyron:
    1001 hp out of 8 liters with 4 turbos
    Click for full size

...cost volkswagen a fortune to develop that car + the engine: 407 km/h topspeed, 0-60 2.5 sec.
    it's a beautifull car...

but my fav buggati is the EB 110... that car is fuckin sexy...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    In my world, a great street engine needs power. HP/liter impresses the importe crowd. I don't care that some 4 cylinder makes 240HP n/a at 9000RPM. In the end, 240HP is WEAK, and hardly worthy of a "greatest street engine" title. My Briggs&Stratton makes more HP/liter than that Honda motor does, maybe it should be on this list?

What kind of power did the n/a 4.3L and 3.8L GMs put out? 200HP? Anyone can boost a motor to make impressive power, but that's the compressors doing, NOT the engine...
    this is the exact reason muscle car owners get stereotyped as stupid hicks who cant see past their do jiggers....

i would say that 300 hp is good for a 5.7 liter 8 cylinder. i would say 200 hp is good for a 4.3 6 cylinder. what boost? there are only a select few of the 4.3s that were ever boosted and they were in the sy/ty's.

youre so ridiculous if you think that 240 hp out of a 4 banger isnt alot! i never said i cared...half of the engines i mentioned i dont give a shit about, but that doesnt take away from their power and reliability.

theres the age old comment "my briggs and straton..." dude, look the fuck around....youre not talking to a bunch of ricers. and just because this is an ls based website doesnt mean everyone is as close minded as you. we can converse about other kinds of tech. im sure you dont have a problem typing out your HUGE victories in the kill stories section...but when it comes time to actually discuss the nitty gritty of the engines and cars you so effortlessly beat on, youre just too good, right? just dont care.

honestly you are just proving to everyone here that you dont know too much...because if you had any sense you wouldnt discredit things that simply arent the small block chevy. like i said....any number of these engines could blow the doors off of the ls1.

what would the automotive world look like if every company used small block v8s to make power? wow. yippee for diversity. any car manufacturer has the ability to build a pushrod or an ohc v8, but maybe, just maybe they choose to go a different route and see where it takes them.

why dont you follow your own precedence and rip on the ferraris and the buggatis and the german cars? they arent all small block pushrod v8s, so they must be ghey right? i think youre having jealousy issues...

an ls1 owner with an insecurity. how sad...
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48861

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Chevy 283
    Dayum we could make them little bastards scream.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by some guy above
    this is the exact reason muscle car owners get stereotyped as stupid hicks who cant see past their do jiggers....
    If you had my do jigger you couldn't see past it either.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I agree with a lot of what was said and I'd like to add that an engine doesnt have to be a total powerhouse to be a great engine. One of my 6 cyl selections was the 4.0 inline 6 in my jeep cherokee. It has plenty of power and a TON of torque and moves my jeep around very nicely but its not a sports car engine powerhouse. In addition this engine doesnt burn a drop of oil and runs perfect everytime I fire it up. Never fails me. Its a great engine.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    If you had my do jigger you couldn't see past it either.
    hahah "do jigger" thats funny shit!
    The chevy 283, my dad was telling me that this lil engine could rev REAL high and can be made to make a lot of power! It's unheard of now for anyone to mod them, but I would love to see a modded 283.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    hahah "do jigger" thats funny shit!
    The chevy 283, my dad was telling me that this lil engine could rev REAL high and can be made to make a lot of power! It's unheard of now for anyone to mod them, but I would love to see a modded 283.
    Damn right they could flat ass rev...and pull the entire way...I had one that had heads/cam/crank/rods/pistons...balanced....triple dueces....sum bitch would waste 340's and hemis all day long...302 Fords...forget about it....gear them damn things right and you could flat own the street.....and they just lasted forever....I think this is why still to this day I help out a lot of the young kids with their imports....I just flat ass love to wrench an engine until it runs like a beast

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information